It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The move to remove sheet music from Oxford

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So, let's get rid of more culture and history.
Music is already becoming a thing of the past.
Sure there is still talent, and there is still music....but the best of it seems to obviously NOT be the popular.
Plenty of musicians must be turning in their graves.

www.americanthinker.com...

To be honest, it’s a little bit hard to make sense of the story because it’s so screamingly stupid. Apparently, music professors are claiming that all Western classical music has “complicity in white supremacy.” This seems to include such composers as Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and Handel, all of whom were living in continental Europe in the 17th through 19th centuries and none of whom had anything whatsoever to do with Blacks, Africa, or the slave trade.

University of Oxford considers scrapping sheet music for being 'too colonial' after staff raise concerns about music curriculums' 'complicity in white supremacy' after Black Lives Matter movement

I mean seriously, they are insane.
You don't remove the past to improve the future.

Professors set to reform music courses to move away from the classic repertoire
Staff argued curriculum focuses on 'white European music from slave period'
It is thought that music writing will also be reformed to be more inclusive

edit on Mon Mar 29 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: forgot the link

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   
this lays the groundwork, you cannot control a group of people that can critically think for themselves.

They already pushed many of the classic books out because of either racism or they are to hard to read, real music elevates your brain allowing a deeper thought and understanding.

If it wasn't for my wife and son I would so say get me off this planet they have gone nuts.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I love the "Staff argued" pun, but for the love of Leopold, this is so dumb I just want to blast some Xenakis at these big dummies until there's nothing left of them.

Sure, yeah, it's an outdated system, and it looks just as crappy as cursive handwriting, but it works.

I can't get the second link to open for some reason. Do they have a plan for a new musical notation system?

ETA: I see OP added the link.
edit on 29-3-2021 by 4003fireglo because: OP added the link.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I feel for those under the age of 18 these days. I think we can start calling them the " Lost Generation ".

+22 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Maybe if they want to prove that whites are not superior they should show some work of equal quality instead of trying to erase a superior artists work.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What are they replacing it with?

Taylor Swift? Dua Lipa? Beyonce?

Talentless idiots that have their music written for them. I'll take the sheet music created by musical geniuses, anyday of the week

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Damn. I can’t ii V I now because Roman numerals are racist. And I gotta burn my real book because I’m privilaged enough as it is. Do I have to delete my aebersold tracks, or since were both white we cancel each other out and it’s just music? Please, I can’t appear racist at the open mic tonight.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22They're good at playing the drums,piano not so much.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Cirice

I can think of some really sheet music I'd like to get rid of.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I think it's becoming clear that person archives are going to be the only answer to culture and history. If these classical pieces are downloadable, then I suggest that people who care start doing so and print them off for archiving.

During the fist Caliphate it only took 5 years to go from the height of Islamic academic legacy to people not being able to write their names.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Indeed.
Sometimes, I have to walk away from what I am reading, or ask the topic be changed, or look at my orchids.
The stupid can give a headache.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

WHAT!!!!!!!!!?!????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SERIOUSLY??

Is that part of what the Dark Ages were also about?

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:50 PM
link   
New Music Theory facts:

C Major is racist.
So is a minor.
All modes of C Major and a minor are also racist.

This is because they aren't inclusive of any black keys on the piano, and it's no accident. Only the white keys are allowed in there.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ahem....

In honor and recognition of this masterpiece of pure stupidity, the likes of which would have evolution destroy any other organism, above and beyond the pale of even what the stupid thought was impossible, I have amended my signature (that link was old news anyway).

One should only erase the past if one wishes to re-live it.

Dark Ages, hold our beer.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Music, like mathmatics...
is an absolute...expressed by genius in musical notation are laws of the physical universe (to some of us).

I think the truth of the desired neo feudal globe, peopled by an ignorant servant class is becoming more and more clear.

edit on 29-3-2021 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Ahem....

In honor and recognition of this masterpiece of pure stupidity, the likes of which would have evolution destroy any other organism, above and beyond the pale of even what the stupid thought was impossible, I have amended my signature (that link was old news anyway).

One should only erase the past if one wishes to re-live it.

Dark Ages, hold our beer.

TheRedneck

The most brilliant thing I've read in a long time. Certainly agree.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 07:02 PM
link   
They'll probably start with the works in D minor first. It's the saddest of all keys.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is just about asinine as it's possible to get.

Instead of adding music to the program, and there's fabulous music out there that isn't "colonial"--whatever the Hell that's supposed to mean--it's from Africa, it's from Australia, it's from SE Asia, etc...

Being too lazy to add the music to the curriculum is the wrong doing here, not Mozart, Beethoven, et al wrong doing.

STUPID. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID.

So, white children are to be denied their heritage because some stupid academic wants to placate the real bigots in this idiocy...?

Dark Ages beckon.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   
So basically, they don't think black people can read or learn to read sheet music, so they want it all replaced with pretty pictures and colorful graphics?

To me, that's what this really is. They don't believe black people are smart enough, or intrigued enough to read or learn sheet music. This is just like every other woke school, "math is racist" and "it doesn't matter if the answer is correct" or how about "requiring a student to show their work, super racist"

So essentially we'll lower every standard, allow and encourage cheating, and dumb down the whole world so that the lefts perceived inferiority of blacks is equalized. They're so racist, it's insane they can't see it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join