It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Starfighter Sequel?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just some ideas for that sequel, A young teenager with the usual glum expression is asked to do some chores around the farm by his uncle, the farm belonged to his grandparent's and other than an old arcade machine in the basement he found under behind some old furniture it is remote so there is nothing much to do around here and he hates it, he has managed to equal the high score set by his grandfather mostly out of boredom with nothing better to do in his spare time.

He walks into the barn and proceeds to do some chores when he hears (another superman Easter egg) a strange repeating tone and walks over to it, the sound is coming from below so he clears away some of the dirt and find's an old tarp with some wooden storm cellar like doors under it, opening them climbs down into the darkness from which a pulsing light is coming.

On the side of a metal counter there is a small phone sized device and thinking it just that an old mobile phone he pick's it up only for the room to then burst into light as his hand touches the metal counter, before him is a hanger and the old star fighter partially covered in tarp's, as he stars a voice comes from the communicator calling his grandfathers name.

posted on Mar, 27 2021 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: yuppa

I could definitely enjoy a Wraith sequel or reboot. Maybe Randy Quaid still has it in him to play Loomis. I really enjoyed how he just kept ripping into Pat's crew . Skank and gutter boy were classic.

What do you think would replace the Turbo Interceptor for a vehicle though??

Hmmm exotic,and rare.
Possible wraith car

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Bah! Id rather have the Interceptor back!

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Personally as a fan of the OLD original BSG (a lot of people don't like it because of links to the Mormons and if you search for that you find people using that to attack the show but hey I think it was just great science fiction all around and have nothing other than a religious disagreement with them and not agreeing with all that polygamy - meh - but if they are happy and love god well) I would love to see a reboot done properly without all the woke crap that filled the 2013 version, I mean look what they did to Starbuck one of the best characters of the original series though they did give themselves a get out of jail card in the end were it could all have happened many million's of years after the first series and been literally in different galaxy's, in the original series there was that Doctor Zee the annoying kid that kind of spoiled it a bit but his mother was a Seraph a super advanced race of possibly human's that were millions of years ahead of the Galactans and the Cylons but only decided to help the humans a little because interfering in there development would be bad, also in the original series the Galactica reached 20th century earth, hid on the moon and proceeded to slowly advance earth humanity to there own level of technology with the aim that one day all humans would be able to stand together should the Cylons ever find earth.

Also the original BSG would have kicked the new BSG out of the water, it had energy weapon's, the vipers were a lot faster and had a lot larger range able to fly entire star systems away on a patrol while the new BSG had projectile weapons only, shorter range vipers and was grim, post apocalyptic and miserable instead of the often jovial and optimistic view of the original series.

When they reached there Earth they gave up there technology, died out except for the descendants of a half Cylon child and that was about it.

Cylon origin's were very different as well, the original Cylons were created by a race called the Cylons whom were lizards that they rebelled against and exterminated, Kobol was a planet in a starless desert orbiting a lone sun and had pyramid's on it and Greek style ruin's, this original home world of humanity had been the seen of a war between human's before there exodus to the thirteen colonies but in the new series the Cylon's were created on Kobol first, drove the humans off the world so that is how they established there colonies, became human themselves after following the same course as the later cylon skin job's, created new cylons that then rebelled against THEM and after a devastating war in which there Kobol was left a nuclear wasteland only five survived, the final five whom tried to reach the Human's (Whom they had become so like) to try to save them from ever making another race of Cylons but of course they were too late and the humans did just that, very different plot lines, very different universe and very different Cylons, God in the two series was very different as well, he was a religious figure to the original and better Adama and he believed in him as did the humans but the Cylons had no concept of God, there leaders included figures such as Lucifer a walking light show super robot while the later series the Cylons were religious fanatics, there God was an ancient Cylon that had ascended to a level something akin to the Seraph in the first series and so they worshipped him as God somewhere blurring the line between the real ascended energy based entity and the concept of spiritual god.

I DID like Automan but through adult eye's that show is so incredibly cheesy, also I liked the Buck Rogers TV series especially as I was a little boy with a crush the character Colonel Deering.

Other than that despite Disney being awful at science fiction and ruining the star wars franchise I really did like the Tron reboot and wish that it had a follow up.
edit on 29-3-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
Well i only know the new BSG (newish anyways) because it been watching it on antenna tv lately. I swear i remember references or hearing of a BSG in the past, but upon research what i actually remembered was a show called V about green aliens that often wear human skins?? I may try and catch up with that series someday because i cannot recall much more than that.

It sounds like what your saying about the old original BSG greatly influenced stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

It has dated a lot, special effects are not as good as todays science fiction but it is still a great show, in some ways the new show did thing a little better and was more realistic but over all the old show was the better, it's a point that has been argued about.

Like many science fiction franchise both versions have there fan's and there detractors.

But if the new show had been made in the spirit of the original but with all the bell's and whistles of new screen technology it would have actually be far better than it was.

To make it more realistic they made the new BSG weaker than the old one but it did look better, the same with the Cylon's (though many argue the old Cylon base stars were far better the new raiders were definitely better but I kind of miss the fact that the old Raiders had three Cylons and could land disgorging there crew to fight on foot and as to that thank's to CGI the new Cylon Centurions are far better - as well as far more deadly).

Both version had some really cool idea's, some great writing and some brilliant episodes and it just comes down to a matter of taste - and which you saw first (and if you liked it then).

Space battles are done far better in the new series, the old series did the characters more likable and less gritty and it was not PC or feminist by todays standards, at least at first, the shortage of pilots as they fled the remains of the colony's led to them training female pilots but before that in the show the role of colonial viper pilot was a male role, given that they are kind of based on Ancient Greece in some way's as well as Egypt that is actually perfectly in line with it's story arc.

The Original Starbuck was a likable but not saintly rogue, he had a really good streak that came out and became a hero of the show, the new Starbuck is not as good a character, not because she is a woman that was never the problem for me but the character depiction is too grim in the new show, almost every scene someone is hitting the bottle and getting sozzled in there quarters and the show paint's a grim and miserable world, the old series had a bit of that too but no where near as much and painted a far more optimistic view of there life on board and in the fleet though social inequality and other issues were covered in the original series very well indeed, some of the best pilot's and characters are black such as Lieutenant Boomer and Colonel Tigh among other's.

The problem many have with the original series is that it incorporated a lot of ideas from the Mormon church and Glen A Larson was a member of the Mormon Church etc so he snuck in a lot of his beliefs which though did not ruin the story one bit (not a Mormon myself and you would have to be one most likely to see and recognize those particular things).

The original Two series ended on a bit of a whimper with the last episode and a the cancelled third series and many find the character Doctor Zee very off putting but back then as now merchandising was a thing, a huge number of toy sales were spun from the original series but due to the more adult nature of the new series that was something that was less prevalent if at all.

Sorry I go on a bit too much but what I am saying is many of look at the old show through rose tinted spectacles a bit but it is still a great old science fiction show, think about the contrast as a little like Picard vs Kirk.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join