It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Starfighter Sequel?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I liked the movie and I have a copy of it as well.I have
to admit that I liked that little boy Louis and his girlie
magazine collection under his mattress,Yolanda baby!

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimens

Well, the endless sequels started in the 80s. I think the 90s may have had a bad remake here or there, but the reboot is more recent, and that seems to be where things went really wrong. To pick some low hanging fruit, let's look at Ghostbusters 2016. The movie never had a chance, and it wasn't due to women in the lead. When you have a classic movie starring Bill Murray, Dan Ackroid, and Harold Ramis, you have to realize that you will never be able to replace, top, or match what they did. It could not be done better by anyone.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Omg YES! I love this movie!

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Personally, very nostalgic...lol I may watch the 1st one with my daughter now😉

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   

It was a brilliant movie but both vastly under rated and sadly very much a movie of it's time.

The basic plot was that a rogue alien agent had placed a testing device disguised as a video arcade machine on earth though this was against the rules as the earth was a backward planet but this kid actually beat the game and was one of only a handful in the safe part of the galaxy to do so, the Alien deciding that this exonerated his action then recruited the kid into the star fighter program to fly one of the most powerful ship's in the Galaxy.

A bad evil race was trying to pass a border that had a defence grid and was slowly breaching it so this was just in time and this kid then managed to defeat the alien fleet and save the civilized part of the galaxy from the barbarians.

I do not know how it may translate but if done well it could be very good indeed.

How though would the aliens NOW test the human's, an online space combat game perhaps.

I don't think it would grab modern audiences though, some of us older guy's would go to look out of nostalgia but that is about it, then again there is a distinct paucity of good space combat movies and it may just be what the science fiction scene need's to give it a kick in the butt, hope they don't let the film destroying sicko crowd destroy it or put too much woke into it, no problem with a female lead but only if they at least cater to the male audience a bit instead of the crazy's.

But for some reason I can not get the thought that this will not work out of my head, shame as the original was a good movie but only for it's time.

edit on 26-3-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The original was pretty good.
No need to make a sequel or a reboot.

I think Hollywood is making a mistake by rebooting good or great movies. It always sucks and can never live up to the original.

However, the simple fact that there MAY BE talk of a reboot, is enough to start a conversation about the original, which could be considered a good side effect. I know I haven't seen nor thought about this movie for a long time, but now I wanna watch it again. It probably won't be as good as I remember, but I still wanna watch it regardless. And yeah, a reboot or a sequel will probably suck, but the anticipation could be somewhat of a good thing too.

That being said, talking about this movie has reminded me of Explorers, and now I really watch it also.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

A reboot might work if they make the game some sort of brand new advanced virtual reality game.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: notquiteright

originally posted by: notquiteright

Well, the endless sequels started in the 80s. I think the 90s may have had a bad remake here or there, but the reboot is more recent, and that seems to be where things went really wrong. To pick some low hanging fruit, let's look at Ghostbusters 2016. The movie never had a chance, and it wasn't due to women in the lead. When you have a classic movie starring Bill Murray, Dan Ackroid, and Harold Ramis, you have to realize that you will never be able to replace, top, or match what they did. It could not be done better by anyone.

kinda off topic but....
Did you know that there's actually a new Ghostbusters coming out later this year?

It's basically a sequel to the 2 original films, and is completely disregarding the 2016 movie. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, & Ernie Hudson are in it, but I think they may just be small roles. The main roles are the grandkids of Harold Ramis' character.

IMDB FAQ:

Will this be a sequel to the 2016 'Ghostbusters' film?

No. This is supposedly going to be sequel to Ghostbusters I and II. Furthermore, in the trailer, Paul Rudd says "There hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years", implying the events occurring in the 2016 movie never happened.

IMDB

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Yeah, it made me want to watch Goonies, Gremlins, and the Princess Bride.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

"But the Movie still brought a smile to my face and I guarantee that what ever sequel/incarnation is made, it will be darker and more hi-tech. But they will probably still try and keep it as a Family Movie. And I will just toss this out... Bet the Starfighter is a female in this one."

Leslie Jones? She's pretty popular right now.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Yeah, it made me want to watch Goonies, Gremlins, and the Princess Bride.

ALL quality films watched with my 10 year old daughter😊

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I forgot to include the article in the OP where it talks about the concept art and the sizzle reel for the new movie. Oddly enough the new name is THE LAST STARFIGHTERs. Emphasis on the S becasue it tells you that there will be more than 1 Starfighter in this new movie.

Here's a videoclip that tells everything one may want to know about the new movie.

Enjoy!

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks for that video Mr. Book. Makes it look promising.
Bottom line though, ''The Last Starfighter'' ain't the last.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Your welcome...!

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You just made my heart race with excitement with this post about the Ghostbusters!! Did you see Bill Murray in "The Dead Don't Die" ?? The end was just pure Bill . I see Ernie Hudson on those car shield commercials. I have not see or heard from Dan in ages though.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Well, truthfully, in this case they don't have to worry about choosing something done overwell. We own The Last Starfighter, and it's OK, but hardly something stellar and perfect like Ghostbusters or say The Princess Bride (they talked about a remake/ruin of that). Doing a sequel or reboot of it might honestly improve it some. At the very least, I won't feel like a deep part of my childhood was violated if they did it.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Now that might be a proper successor to Ghostbusters!

I even said that if they had made the new team the successors to the old one and incorporated one or more of the older Ghostbusters to "pass the torch" in some way, the new movie might not have been as offensive to fans although it still sucked. But instead they tried to insist that the originals had never happened and the new team were the only ones ... ever, thus crapping all over a true classic with, well, crap.
edit on 26-3-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
a reply to: LABTECH767

A reboot might work if they make the game some sort of brand new advanced virtual reality game.

Yes,and call it..The Last STAR CITIZEN! have to get mark hamill in it to play kordan armadas leader, and a female to play the daughter of the Original hero and his GF maggie.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Well, truthfully, in this case they don't have to worry about choosing something done overwell. We own The Last Starfighter, and it's OK, but hardly something stellar and perfect like Ghostbusters or say The Princess Bride (they talked about a remake/ruin of that). Doing a sequel or reboot of it might honestly improve it some. At the very least, I won't feel like a deep part of my childhood was violated if they did it.

My science project,real genius,spies like us,and THE WRAITH would make good sequels if done right.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I could definitely enjoy a Wraith sequel or reboot. Maybe Randy Quaid still has it in him to play Loomis. I really enjoyed how he just kept ripping into Pat's crew . Skank and gutter boy were classic.

What do you think would replace the Turbo Interceptor for a vehicle though??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join