It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Starfighter Sequel?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Hello, ATS.

DOes anyone remember the movie The Last Starfighter from the 80's? Apparently, there's talk of a sequel with an update from modern technology.

This Deathblossom scene near the end of the movie was my favofite:

I remember this movie from when I was a kid. I always wondered why they never made a sequel.....? Well, it looks like we might get one. What says ATS? Excited?

edit on 26-3-2021 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Calling it now. It's going to suck.
A lot.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: notquiteright

Did you see the original? Did you like it?

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
This is the one where the kid is selected through an arcade game right?? I liked it then, would look forward to a sequel. Still need to watch again with my family since I have not seen it since childhood.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Yeah, that's the one. I remember seeing it at a drive-in theater in Phoenix when I was a kid.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 02:48 AM
link   
"Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada."

I think with the current way movies are going, this may smash into a large asteroid shortly after leaving the launch bay. I will wait hopefully though.

From that poster, they already have made several mistakes. They changed the flight suit to a pressure suit. A pressure suit will not protect you from any weapon that will penetrate your hull. What's the difference between being turned into soup in a flight suit or a pressure suit? You are still soup.

Alex Rogan: Hold it! There's no fleet? No Starfighters, no plan? One ship, you, me, and that's it?
Grig: Exactly! Xur thinks you're still on Earth. Classic military strategy, surprise attack.
Alex Rogan: It'll be a slaughter!
Grig: That's the spirit!
Alex Rogan: No, *my* slaughter!

edit on 3 26 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 03:08 AM
link   

It was just before my time this came out and somehow missed it at a young age. Later when searching for sci-fi cult movies i found it again and really enjoyed it. It has that real 80s movie vibe i love that you never see in current movies anymore.
And the CGI.. to think at one point in time it was next level just gives me a big smile. Still rather have this type of cgi over what you see today anytime as long as the acting is sincere.

Read it will be created by the former Star Fighter director & the person that made Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. So it will most certainly be a epic cgi battle in space. As most movies disappoint now i don't know if this will be any good, i sure hope it will and we get a trailer soon!!

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I saw the original at the drive in back in the day. It was okay. Not one of my favorites, but decent enough. I just know that everything they try to bring back turns very sour.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Why do you think that is? Noticed it myself too, but can’t really put finger on what it is that makes these new movies so hard to watch, is it the over abundance of cgi or the ever present pc culture that feels so forced?

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I remember this movie fondly, if I recall correctly Robert Preston was the Alien Recruiter using the Arcade Games to find the "Last Starfighter" on various planets. Everyone back then was trying to produce a movie that could come close to Star Wars or ET (this one did not).

If you look closely, the helmet harness around Grigs neck is a Rubber Bicycle Tire.

But the Movie still brought a smile to my face and I guarantee that what ever sequel/incarnation is made, it will be darker and more hi-tech. But they will probably still try and keep it as a Family Movie. And I will just toss this out... Bet the Starfighter is a female in this one.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I remember it being average at best, interesting premise but not really a memorable movie, not saying it wasn’t ok, just average
A decent production and it could be worth a watch

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 04:07 AM
link   
The lead has to now be a black, trans with ideological problems that screams a lot.

I could write this.

She would be married to a white tiger just to add some interest.

No ... it will suck.

P

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimens

Both of those are definitely factors, but I think overall it's the failure of the directors, writers, and actors to capture the essence of what made it great in the first place. To make matters worse, they usually choose something that was done so well to begin with, that really all they can do is fail. I would rather see them revive something that was a great idea, but was executed poorly originally. Or, I don't know, maybe come up with an original idea.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I would be excited...but Hollywood...it will be ruined. I'm sure the lead will be a trangendered person of color fighting against the evil space aliens...aka the right...aka conservatives....aka...normal people

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Yes that is true, they often pic something that was (financially) successful, which in its self isn't that strange but when time after time its evident they cannot improve upon the original someone would expect them to realize this.

They are capable of doing it, think of movies like Moon (2009), but those real thought provoking and believe shattering movies like Matrix or Pi (60K budged!!!) are becoming very rare, just do not believe there is nobody out there with a original idea, its just very hard to get funding together for a original idea it seems, like the movie studios are just not willing to take the risk anymore. Everything is catered for the larger audiences, and to do that you have to put in something in for everybody, which often totally destroys the narrative the director/story is trying to convey.

Where do you think it all went sour? Can we point it down to a specific year or event?

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   

They don't have to do a remake or reboot of this movie. There are other options out there, such as Armada that's done by Ernest Cline. I think they did a fairly good job with Ready Player One, so I think they could do that premise justice.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   

It was one of my favorites!

Although I do remember being terrified of the "clone" when he first shows up.

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Original was great. Got it...the premise of video gamer to Starfighter was cool...b ahead of others...

Fx for the time we're pretty cool. And, sequels usually aren't as good.

But hey! Video game King, get to fight, fly around, and wins in Outer Space...and of course, gets the girl

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The original was pretty good.
No need to make a sequel or a reboot.

I think Hollywood is making a mistake by rebooting good or great movies. It always sucks and can never live up to the original.

They need to change their approach and use movies that just missed being good.
The idea was good but not the execution.

They would get a second chance at a solid idea and wouldn't risk pissing off a fan base of a beloved movie.

Sucker punch
League of extraordinary gentlemen

edit on 26-3-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Fun Fact:

The Last Starfighter (1987) was directed by original Halloween killer Michael Myers actor Nick Castle.

www.imdb.com...

edit on 26-3-2021 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join