It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish Eggs Can Survive a Journey Through Both Ends of a Duck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well that's one way to get invasive aquatic species into lakes and waterways, wtg Daffy and Donald...

The ducks pooped out most of the viable eggs within an hour, per Science News, but one took at least four hours. The researchers tell Science News that such a time window would afford ducks enough time to fly ten or even 100 miles away from the source of a fish egg meal.

The researchers suggest it’s a simple numbers game: With so many fish eggs and so many ducks, even a tiny percentage of surviving eggs is significant and could provide an answer to a question that has long bedeviled scientists. Next, the researchers tell Audubon they plan to repeat the experiment with other fish species.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

Fish Eggs Can Survive a Journey Through Both Ends of a Duck
A new study finds some eggs remain viable even after being eaten and pooped out by waterfowl

In lakes and pools that appear physically cut off from other bodies of water, fish sometimes seem to materialize out of nowhere. This somewhat mystical sounding theory might not be far off: a new study suggests fish eggs may simply fall from the sky.

In experiments, some fish eggs hatched after being pooped out by ducks, suggesting that feathered flight could facilitate seemingly immaculate piscine invasions, reports Priyanka Runwal for Audubon.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
Posting work written by others
edit on Thu Mar 25 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote and added tags

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 03:39 PM
link   
What wonderful information. I wish the ducks would poop out more bass and trout eggs and not so many Cyprinidae, in my favorite fishing hole.

These are the kind of threads we grew to know and love in the old ATS. S&F
edit on 25-3-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

*In my stoner voice*

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Awesome info!
Now if I salt my pond, could they maybe poop some Ahi into it?
I love sushi.
Seriously though, that's a pretty cool finding.

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Awesome info!
Now if I salt my pond, could they maybe poop some Ahi into it?
I love sushi.
Seriously though, that's a pretty cool finding.

Love where this is headed👍😆

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The problem with sushi once you have really good sushi it makes the others not as palatable. Had a favorite place but now I've moved away and can't find any place even close

top topics

join