It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun buy back in Pensacola backfires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Trying to establish the validity of this story, I could see MSM avoiding it if it was true. Good old American Capitalism...

see below local newspaper is saying it's false about buying the home made guns BTW.

nationalfile.com...

A so-called “gun buyback” event in Pensacola, Florida did not go according to plan over the weekend, as a local gun club showed up to counteroffer the city by paying actual market value for citizens’ firearms. The only weapons the buyback was able to acquire included BB guns and homemade “Boom Stick 1776” pipe guns, which forced the event to run out of cash in under 30 minutes.
Members of the local Second Amendment advocacy group Escambia Carry showed up to the event with a sign that read “Don’t Get Ripped Off By The City With This Stupid Gun “Buyback’ Program – See Me To Get Fair Market Value For Your Firearm.”

“Other than these rifles, the vast majority were junk,” Escambia Carry’s Jeremy Bosso said in a Facebook post. “Numerous people told us they sold their old junk guns to buy new firearms. Someone sold a Marine Emergency Flare gun. Other attendees had air pistols (BB/pellet guns). The City ran out of money by 9:27am – less than 30 minutes into the event.”

Look here the local newspaper they got a different spin.

www.pnj.com...

The city of Pensacola gun buyback event Saturday collected 71 guns in its first 30 minutes, using up the entire $10,000 budgeted for the endeavor.

The gun buyback at Bill Gregory Park was scheduled to last from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, but the city ended the event early after all of the available funding was spent by 9:30 a.m.

"I didn't realize the gun buyback program would be so successful," Pensacola Mayor Grover Robinson said Monday during his weekly press conference.

District 7 Councilman Delarian Wiggins proposed the program in January to raise awareness about gun violence in the city while getting a few guns off of the street.

The program was a completely voluntary, one-day event.

At least one person at the event attempted to sell a homemade gun and posted photos about that on social media. Robinson said the city did not buy the homemade gun.

"Those were not accepted," Robinson said. "We actually have an email from the individual who sent something to us that he was upset about it. They just simply weren't eligible guns that we were not looking to pay for them. I'm sorry we messed him up on that. But I guess he's welcome to keep his Second Amendment and keep his guns, and we were happy to let him do that."
edit on 22-3-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

"I didn't realize the gun buyback program would be so successful," Pensacola Mayor Grover Robinson said Monday during his weekly press conference.

It seemed to be successful for people trading in things that were not worth anything for $200 a pop so that they could use the money to buy a better weapon...

If Grover keeps this going, he is going to get Florida into the top ten of gun owners per capita in the USA.

Florida is currently 40th in that category.

Go Grover!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Should have taken that money and pumped it into mental health care so the people who have guns are less apt to use them in harmful ways.

But that makes more sense than Pensacola can handle I guess.

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

It seemed to be successful for people trading in things that were not worth anything for $200 a pop so that they could use the money to buy a better weapon...

If Grover keeps this going, he is going to get Florida into the top ten of gun owners per capita in the USA.

Florida is currently 40th in that category.

Go Grover!!!!

Looking a the table of some of the guns they actually bought wasn't impressive at all, certainly not the type criminals carry.

posted on Mar, 22 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I would have bought the Boomstick, just in case I got sucked into a demonic wormhole and transported back to the 13th century. After all, it's Florida. Anything could happen.

But they're going to have to pony up a lot more dough if they want my tactical nuke.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Those people that made those things for the buyback program are James Bond level villain geniuses. AND this points out how utterly stupid people responsible for public safety are.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Notice something about the guns shown on the table?
They all have a tag, and the only tags that are visible to read have ‘semi-auto’ written on them.
Just more propaganda.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Notice something about the guns shown on the table?
They all have a tag, and the only tags that are visible to read have ‘semi-auto’ written on them.
Just more propaganda.

Notice the one that looks like it was in a house fire? Stock is burned and the bluing was cooked off. And if you look right behind it there apears to be a homemade pellet gun lol.

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Looks kinda like a spray can camo attempt thats flaked away, but either way..

posted on Mar, 23 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They had one of these gun buy backs years ago here in calif and a guy took in a very rusty 20mm aircraft cannon from a WW2 crash site and was given $100.
I had looked at it and there was no way it would ever fire even if you could get the obsolete ammo and somehow clear the rust from the barrel and free the rusted and locked up bolt.

new topics

top topics

join