It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought a new O-scope today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Bought a new O-scope today

You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

eta: Ah damn... Phage beat me to it.
edit on 20-3-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I’m guessing I can only use the old girl to tune old tv or stations?

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

O-smell-o-scope.

Helps sniffing for electrons.

Mine is a Rigol 1000. It's used, it's a bit greasy but it works for the diagnosis I need. Without one I wouldn't have ever found out the camshaft sensor signal saturates with noise above 8800rpm was giving me trouble. Resulted in choppy injection and ignition timings and also boost creep.

Difficult measurement! The only way to measure it is with load on the engine. But the Rigol needs mains voltage 230V. Solution was I put a 12V/230V DC to AC pure sine wave converter and the Rigol into a box, strapped the whole box on the passenger seat. If the police would have stopped me it would have been a funny conversation.

Later someone told me there are little ones for cheap, as big as a phone that work on AA battery and that would have been good to know before.

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The technical term is wigglescope.

Does it do "Wake up Geoff"?

edit on 21/3/2021 by chr0naut because: I'm sure many parents will know and commiserate.

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I like the waveform capture to USB feature.

In the old days, you needed a scope with GPIB (IEEE-488) interface to a computer in order to capture waveforms. In the real old days, you needed a polaroid camera with a hood over the CRT!!!

Seems like a very capable scope. Good Luck!

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

Bought a new O-scope today, the old one was pretty much just a lark. The new one is only 150 MHz, but it does have it's own sig-gen in it, and it does all the math functions. Plus it has a 8m memory depth, so I'm happy. I rise time is a bit slow at 3.5ns, but I think it will serve my needs.

I'm impressed about the onboard sig-gen and function generator. It's next-gen in the scope market.

Yeah, I'm sure there are way better scopes. A spec-anny is still on my list, but this is a nice start.

What model, you ask...it's a Hantek O-scope

Go ahead, you can make fun of me; it's okay.

Curious about the utility of the signal generator.

Is this just to provide a reference waveform for comparison against what's being measured? Or is it more used as a trigger to turn on/off functions on other devices, ICs, board components etc.

Also, what type of gear are you using this on, device boards, DIY kits, robotics?

Using the signal generator, you can make some interesting Lissajous figures - Wikipedia

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yeah, cool!

posted on Mar, 21 2021 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yeah, sure, but will it keep you warm at night?

Kidding. You are dozens of levels above my electronic knowledge. Enjoy !

I just received an electronic musical toy that is merely several levels above my understanding. I hope we both grow with our toys. um........... that didn't really sound right..........

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

Bought a new O-scope today, the old one was pretty much just a lark. The new one is only 150 MHz, but it does have it's own sig-gen in it, and it does all the math functions. Plus it has a 8m memory depth, so I'm happy. I rise time is a bit slow at 3.5ns, but I think it will serve my needs.

I'm impressed about the onboard sig-gen and function generator. It's next-gen in the scope market.

Yeah, I'm sure there are way better scopes. A spec-anny is still on my list, but this is a nice start.

What model, you ask...it's a Hantek O-scope

Go ahead, you can make fun of me; it's okay.

Curious about the utility of the signal generator.

Is this just to provide a reference waveform for comparison against what's being measured? Or is it more used as a trigger to turn on/off functions on other devices, ICs, board components etc.

Also, what type of gear are you using this on, device boards, DIY kits, robotics?

Sorry, I missed these questions. The sig-gen is fully configurable and generates numerous signals (sine, square, triangle, sawtooth, pulse, noise, arbitrary, code, burst, etc. etc.) which can be manipulated fully in both frequency as well as amplitude. You can set all the trigger functions with the generated wave forms. It's like a full function generator right onboard the scope itself (has a separate output and everything). There is also a reference signal for calibration which generates a 5V @ 1kHz signal for calibration, and this is a separate connection.

I intend to use it for rounding out my electronics pursuits and using it to assist in the construction of audio amplifiers and RF amplifiers, up to and including my goal of building a fully functional HF Amateur transceiver. A couple of my current projects are a small oscilloscope kit and a signal generator kit. Next up I'd like to build a decent spectrum analyzer. Right now I'm just trying to tune up my soldering techniques so I can work on the really tiny stuff.

ETA - One other thing I forgot to mention is, the new O-scope also does Z-axis intensity which is pretty cool for a digital scope to be able to do. Used to be only the old analog scopes could do this, but now the digital ones can also. It's a separate function, so that's a little weird, but it works.
edit on 3/24/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join