It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karen freaks out over children climbing a tree, the kids handle it perfectly. This is America.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: rickymouse

If they were injured they would have a lawsuit. I don't know what's hard to understand about that.

Quite a lot, actually.

In most of the rest of the world you can't sue if your child is injured on somebody else's property unless that person is directly negligent. For example, if the person leaves a loaded gun on a table knowing that the child is in the house.

If a child chooses to climb up a tree without the encouragement of the adult, then it's the child's fault if they fall because they climbed up there, not the adults because they let them do it.

The whole lawsuit culture in the US just seems crazy to people from other countries.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I guess it is now acceptable to disregard or disrespect your neighbors and trespass on their property these days. There are laws against that, your yard is private property, nobody can go on it without permission.

We have a major problem with our society when parents did not train their kids to respect their neighbors

Back in the day, neighbors used to know each other, kids used to play over each other's yards all the time. The main issue was that your own parents knew where you were going and when you'd be back.

Private property was something that adults needed to worry about because kids were just left to be kids. So long as they didn't steal anything or break anything.

This is where the whole "old man Wilson" comedy shtick came from, yelling at kids to "get off his law". It was funny because there was usually one in every neighborhood. And I means one and only one. It was funny because that person stood out as being unusual and out of place in an otherwise child friendly place.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   
What’s that saying? ‘You judge things that happen, by your own life experiences.’
I see an old tree with lichens, in a residential area, that has at least two cast iron posts holding up some of the branches. Which means that it must have some structural issues to begin with. It’s not out in the woods somewhere, which means it was deliberately planted by someone. If you listen at the very beginning, the lady says, ‘Those poles were put there to help it.’ The other kid says, ‘Yeah, my grandpa.’ So very likely grandpa wouldn’t want them up there either. Never mind the fact that if it already has structural issues, a branch could break & they could get hurt. Can’t tell from the video how high up they are, or if there is a concrete sidewalk on the other side too.

A lawyer did tell us twenty five years ago already, that if someone trespassed on our property & got hurt, we would be held liable! I couldn’t believe it! What is this world coming to? Growing up we had a small dog. My Dad got extra insurance in case it ever ran out on the road & caused an accident or bit someone! That was a long time ago, but he was a very cautious guy!

Those things being said, it does take a village. Here’s a for instance. We were driving twenty miles away to meet some friends at a state park to have a picnic. We were going through an area with no houses. The highway followed a river & there were railroad tracks parallel to the river. We came up over a blind hill & around a curve. All of a sudden, there were three boys on bicycles, maybe 10-12 years old, with fishing poles, riding side by side on the the road! Luckily, we weren’t going the speed limit & hubby was able to swerve into the other lane & go around them! I wanted to stop & yell at them & tell them to ride single file close to the edge of the road! What if there had been a car coming in the other lane & he couldn’t have swerved around them?! Hubby said that it was none of our business, they weren’t our kids, & anyway we probably scared them & that they would be more careful now. That was maybe 38 years ago. Before the whole, ‘it takes a village’ saying. I was pretty shook up from it! If it had been any of our kids, I would have been glad if somebody yelled at them!

Days later, I opened up the newspaper to see that a young boy on a bicycle had been killed that day. On the same stretch of highway, at approximately the same time that we had been by there. Hit by a guy that I knew from grade school. Who was now being charged with vehicular manslaughter, or something like that. We went into the police station & gave a statement. Because we knew things that weren’t mentioned in the paper, that they all had fishing poles, their approximate ages, time & area, & that we had almost hit them too, the charges against the guy were dropped.

But to this day, that is still the biggest regret of my life! All the what if’s! Yeah, we were able to save a guy from going to jail, but we didn’t save a young boy from being killed. All these years later it still breaks my heart. I can’t imagine what his parents still feel?! So yeah, old people have more life experiences & could have very different views on things! Walk a mile in my moccasins!!! 😢

WOQ

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 07:20 AM
link   
We used to climb trees and play with our paint ball guns. This woman would’ve went home all painted up messing with us when I was little. Plus my family would’ve had their own issues with that insulting woman.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

If those kids are any thing like me and my friends were she will get some berries thrown at her the next time she walks by that tree lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
When I was a kid we would have just started throwing things at her and our aim was good...

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So what happened when the grandfather came back? If it was on his property, I hope he gave the old hag an ear full, and called the cops to arrest her for trespass and harassment.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

See, I've never climbed a tree

You should climb a tree at least once in your life.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Unbelievable. Really, it all boils down to social control of every aspect of our lives. There is so much overregulation in todays society that people get accustomed to it and apply it any situation imaginable. Why didnt she just walk past the kids and say nothing? She couldnt help herself and gave in to the compulsion to open her mouth and butt in, thats why!!

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
a reply to: rickymouse

originally posted by: rickymouse
You cannot climb a tree on someone's property without permission. I spent a lot of time climbing trees when I was a kid, and the rule was the same. It is a liability issue, the woman is right to question the kid and tell him to get down, especially when the homeowner is not home. What happens if that kid gets hurt, it could be a lawsuit.

Except, according to her, the tree does not belong to any homeowner.

It's kinda hard to hear, but the first thing she says immediately at the start of the video is, "The tree is not on anybody's property." Then a few seconds later she says, "It belongs to this street and this neighborhood, and we don't want you on it."

It looks to me like a dog poo area.(there's a little white sign in the grass that says, "Clean Up After Your Dog.") So I was thinking maybe it belongs to the city.

In my opinion, if it's public property, and if there is no sign saying "Do not climb the trees." then it should be ok.

If I'm wrong and it actually is illegal, then instead of going all vigilante, shouldn't she just call the cops?

The kid says he knows the people who's tree it is. Sure, I know the owner of the grocery store, does that mean I can climb around on the shelving units? I know our neighbor but my kids would not be allowed on their property unless they asked them to come over there and just because my kid was asked to go over a year ago does not mean I would just let them go there any time they wanted to without the owner around....the owner of that house was not home according to the kid.

Sure the lady spoke a little irrationally when she got flustered. I would complain if some kids were climbing in the neighbors tree in town too if they were not the neighbors kids....watching out for your neighbors home when they are not around is good policy. The kid was in the wrong...he was a smartass, I know kids like that and they usually wind up getting in trouble when they get older, half a dozen of my friends had kids that acted like that and they ballooned into getting into major trouble....they all spent time in jail for their mouth and disrespect of authority. Some grow out of it once they get over thirty, but by then they have been in major trouble and have alienated half of the town.

We have to respect the rights of others, and a parent should be held liable for the actions of their kids but the way insurances work these days, the homeowner is liable if someone gets hurt on their property even if they do not have permission. I tried to find a way to bypass that law, but according to the insurance company, there is no way and I could only get five thousand dollars of medical coverage in case someone got hurt at my place, which I took since it will cover my kids and grandkids if they get hurt helping me out....their insurance will not cover them here if they are helping me unless they exhaust any options from my homeowner insurance. It used to be that your medical insurance covered you everywhere, now it is not so.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

But I think it stems from anxiety... you see parents do this as well sometimes. It's aweful.

In short, if you want your kid to not fall from trees, let them climb trees.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

These days it is a liability issue, when I was a kid, if I got hurt on someone's property and was not supposed to be there, I and my family was SOL if we did not have health insurance. I got hurt half a dozen times at people's house, nobody even thought about suing anyone over that. But now many insurance policies do not cover if you get hurt on someone else's property. Especially medicaid....I know this because of the daughters kids, they had medicaid for the kids and a couple of times they got hurt they wound up paying a couple of thousand bucks themselves or they would have had to sue the people's house insurance. Now the daughter doesn't let her kids go much anywhere because if they get hurt they are not covered without suing. Poor grandkids. Our health insurance covers us wherever we get hurt because we have a rider on top of medicare. but some of the cheaper policies don't and I do not know if medicare covers us everywhere by itself if we get hurt.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Her mask was down while she was talking, so I think she was trying to kill the kid!!! This isn't a "do you want to kill grandma" its Granma wants to kill your kid!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

p.s. Back in the day for rickymouse and to a certain extent, my day, cars didn't even have front seatbelts. Those cars were a lot safer because they had a full metal frame underneath them and plenty of METAL that they were built out of surrounding the passengers. They didn't have plastic bumpers like today's cars. Talk about stupid....

Are drivers better today since there are a lot less deaths per 100,000? lol I do not think a single mom arm bar stopped a kid from going through the window...just saying. We got these things call anti-skip disc brakes brakes that can stop a car about 40% shorter distance...lol

edit on 20-3-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Her mask was down while she was talking, so I think she was trying to kill the kid!!! This isn't a "do you want to kill grandma" its Granma wants to kill your kid!!!!

Attack of the Grandmas from Planet Covid

edit on 20-3-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: Southern Guardian

My theory is that these types are bored with their lives, have no sense of worth or accomplishment, and crave validation because they don't get it at home. They just go around oblivious to how cringe their baseless bitching is.

I would not have been so polite to her.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: vonclod

If you have to reply to NarcolepticBudda, always watch for the < - (space intended) right before the [/quote].

I have never been sure if that was intentional on the poster's part or not, but the code on this site does not allow those two symbols together so you have to delete them to have your reply work correctly.

I didn't realize my zany antics were going to cause so much confusion in this thread. Usually no one replies to me much less quote me.

Sorry all. I never meant to hurt anyone--or help anyone.

edit on 20-3-2021 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   

If you have to reply to NarcolepticBudda, always watch for the < - (space intended) right before the [/quote].

I have never been sure if that was intentional on the poster's part or not, but the code on this site does not allow those two symbols together so you have to delete them to have your reply work correctly.

I didn't realize my zany antics were going to cause so much confusion in this thread. Usually no one replies to me much less quote me.

I honestly don't know why that happens with your posts sometimes... do you do it intentionally?

If so, kudos on the troll... LOL

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I honestly don't know why that happens with your posts sometimes... do you do it intentionally?

If so, kudos on the troll... LOL

I won't admit anything in public

PM sent.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

That old biddy is a piece of garbage. We had an old lady just like that when we were kids. She made everyone around her miserable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join