It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karen freaks out over children climbing a tree, the kids handle it perfectly. This is America.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
You cannot climb a tree on someone's property without permission.

Everything you said is correct. When and why did people suddenly forget about things like this? Have they become mindless zombies or something to not have common sense or respect for other people's property? Just a couple days ago, I saw somebody drive a side-by-side through my yard. I went out to look at it and they came back by and I yelled at them to catch their attention over the sound of the motor. They said they were just driving on the alley. They weren't, it was my driveway in my yard. Now, these are the same neighbors that have a tall fence around their yard because, presumably, they don't want people driving through their yards. What is the problem with these mindless idiots?

TCB
edit on 19-3-2021 by TrulyColorBlind because: Took out one "because." One too many.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Ha....a person like that would be miserable in my neighborhood. There are dozens of kids from 2 to 14 and they all are in everyone's yards climbing trees and on trampolines and on tree swings in everyone else's front yards.

I kinda love that I don't have to deal with stupid here.

You should check with your insurance carrier, same with the neighbors. Even if you are renting you can be sued if someone gets hurt on your property these days and even if the kids are insured, their insurance may not pay their hospital bills unless the people sue the homeowner first. Things have gotten bad, I have had the same insurance company for years and my agent and I talk about changes a lot with the skyrocketing costs of medical. People's deductables and copays are so large, often six or seven grand....that make them have to sue even if their insurance covers eighty percent after that. Seven grand is nothing these days if a kid has to go to the hospital.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Damn.....sucks for you.

We played everywhere and it was understood that if you hurt yourself it was your fault. I teach my kids the same. They know the risks of playing in a tree or on a trampoline or even walking to a friend's house.

Neighborhoods like the one you described sound miserable and I feel sorry you grew up like that.

Hell....cars didn't even have rear seat belts when I was a kid....and child seat....LOL!

Seriously.....would you sue the neighborhood HOA if your kid got bitten by a copperhead in a creek in the neighborhood?
edit on 3/19/21 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   

If I don't ha e a text or a call from a parent telling me their kid is playing in my yard....not my problem. Sure they could sue, but they would miserably lose.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

Everything you said is correct. When and why did people suddenly forget about things like this? Have they become mindless zombies or something to not have common sense or respect for other people's property? Just a couple days ago, I saw somebody drive a side-by-side through my yard. I went out to look at it and they came back by and I yelled at them to catch their attention over the sound of the motor. They said they were just driving on the alley. They weren't, it was my driveway in my yard. Now, these are the same neighbors that have a tall fence around their yard because, presumably, they don't want people driving through their yards. What is the problem with these mindless idiots?

TCB

Sounds like you should put up a wall....ironic huh?

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I guess it is now acceptable to disregard or disrespect your neighbors and trespass on their property these days. There are laws against that, your yard is private property, nobody can go on it without permission.

We have a major problem with our society when parents did not train their kids to respect their neighbors and stay off their property. When I was young, if we tossed a frisbee or ball over the neighbors fence, we would get it, and sometimes got questioned, but we were respectful and informed them why we were in their yard.. This problem has been getting worse and worse for a few generations and you can see what is happening when people are going on others property and protesting, the right to protest does not give you the right to go on someone's property, only on public property and not even into a store which is actually private property.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 11:03 PM
link   

TCB

No, it's not ironic. I shouldn't have to put up a wall to define my property rights. My rights are already properly defined. You basically called rickymouse stupid because his opinion was different than yours. If the truth were to be known, calling people names would probably be the better definition of stupid. (I'm just going by definitions, not calling anybody stupid.) Now, prove me right and continue doing what you're doing and calling people stupid.

TCB

p.s. Back in the day for rickymouse and to a certain extent, my day, cars didn't even have front seatbelts. Those cars were a lot safer because they had a full metal frame underneath them and plenty of METAL that they were built out of surrounding the passengers. They didn't have plastic bumpers like today's cars. Talk about stupid....

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

People are litigious.
I don't know if it comes from the "free stuff" mentality or what, if someone just wants to take advantage figuring the insurance companies can afford it, but people do get sued for the most asinine things these days.

ETA
And, BTW, they would probably try to sue the HOA and you personally.....not saying they would have standing for both.
But I could see them trying.

edit on Fri Mar 19 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Damn.....sucks for you.

We played everywhere and it was understood that if you hurt yourself it was your fault. I teach my kids the same. They know the risks of playing in a tree or on a trampoline or even walking to a friend's house.

Neighborhoods like the one you described sound miserable and I feel sorry you grew up like that.

Hell....cars didn't even have rear seat belts when I was a kid....and child seat....LOL!

Seriously.....would you sue the neighborhood HOA if your kid got bitten by a copperhead in a creek in the neighborhood?

When your kid gets hurt or a kid gets hurt on your property if you live in the USA, you will get a rude awakening of how it can bankrupt you or you have to sue the neighbor so his homeowners insurance pays out before your health insurance kicks in. I know three or four people who had that happen, their insurance would not pay the ER bills and they didn't want to sue the neighbor or friend and got stuck paying lots of money for the hospital bill...No reduction like the insurance company gets either.

This started about five or six years ago and lots of people are not aware of it and it is like this most everywhere nowadays.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   

TCB

No, it's not ironic. I shouldn't have to put up a wall to define my property rights. My rights are already properly defined. You basically called rickymouse stupid because his opinion was different than yours. If the truth were to be known, calling people names would probably be the better definition of stupid. (I'm just going by definitions, not calling anybody stupid.) Now, prove me right and continue doing what you're doing and calling people stupid.

TCB

p.s. Back in the day for rickymouse and to a certain extent, my day, cars didn't even have front seatbelts. Those cars were a lot safer because they had a full metal frame underneath them and plenty of METAL that they were built out of surrounding the passengers. They didn't have plastic bumpers like today's cars. Talk about stupid....

Ha....quoting so it doesn't disappear.

So I did not call anyone stupid, but you are arguing that I basically did and then asking me to continue my argument that I didn't actually say?

That is some serious mental gymnastics.

No....you shouldn't have to put up a wall. All you should have to do is tell the parents to keep their kids off the property. It is a parental thing really....and yes it is about respect. My kids don't play in neighbors yards that do not allow it.

This video dialogue showed that the kids were in a yard their grandparents owned and the lady just didn't want to be proved wrong. She even showed her a$$ at the end of the video and cussed at the kids.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   

If I don't ha e a text or a call from a parent telling me their kid is playing in my yard....not my problem. Sure they could sue, but they would miserably lose.

It has changed a lot over the last ten years, if anyone gets hurt on your property, permission or not, the liability is yours. Even if someone gets hurt stealing something out of your yard, you are liable. I even spoke with a lawyer on this that I know and she verified it at least here in Michigan. There is no limit of liability either, they can go after future money you earn

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Elderly lady, probably just sick of noisy kid's making her life a misery.

Often elderly folk can't stand the sound of noisy kid's, the tree may be closer to her own home and the kid's parent's probably do not give a damn so long as they are out of there hair.

That said Trees are there to be climbed as every little boy will tell you.

But plenty of kid's ARE hurt every year, broken bone's, fractured skull's and rarely a fatality falling from a tree.

What many of you see as an over reaction may be getting misrepresented by this video made by one of the kid's on his or her phone, in truth this may have been building up for a while.

My elderly mother lived in a private close and Kid's from down the street would come up on there skateboards and play outside her front door all day every day, worse they had a habit of going too close to people's parked cars and eventually it just got too much for her, she just asked them to go and play where they live which resulted in them getting ever more intent on gaining a reaction and annoying her.

Though I do not see that happening her I have to say that Deliberate annoying antic's on the part of the Kid's is a common behaviour, they get a kick out of it.

We all used to knock on random door's and then run away, some kid's are little arseholes (I know I was one, used to get thing cotton and tie it on this guy's letter box then hide in the bushes, he was one of those skinny tall men that jogs every day so we used to get a really good chase from him) and will target a person they know they can get a reaction out of and then being very clever with there phones take video to make it look like they are the innocent party.

Sorry without more context I am NOT going to call this lady a Karen (Sadly there are many decent lady's with that name whom are now being insulted by the idiotic meme having taken hold in society), sometimes old folk's are indeed just Grump's but I doubt that is the case here, likely this lady was genuinely concerned because she may have grandchildren herself and also she was probably annoyed, when you get to a certain age and have raised your kid's the last thing you want is someone else kid's that live somewhere else hanging around your home because you just need a bit of peace and quiet, that tree may have had bird feeders but fat chance she was going to see any of that with Kid's playing monkey's in it.

Now YES she may have been in the wrong and yes the kid's may have been just kid's playing up a tree and at least that is safer than playing in the road AND if it is favourite tree then that has the added advantage that the parent's know were to find there kid's if they are not watching them.

But equally using one video from a cell phone with no context to pass judgement upon an elderly lady is out of order, without more context non of us have the necessary evidence to draw a true conclusion here.

I will reserve judgement but having had an elderly mother whom in her dying day's suffered stress because of out of control kid's that were hanging around deliberately in front of her home when they lived well away from there I can not help but wonder if this lady was suffering something similar.

You know what, I am happy to go against other's opinion here because I have seen behaviour exactly like this when watching it, yes she lost her temper and should not perhaps have said that but Stress is what I am reading in her language, she was nice at first but the kid's just stressed her out and that is something you really do not need when you are elderly.

Here is what I see.

Back when we were kid's children behaved better, they respected grown up's and did not give lip back just went home, yes she had no right to ask where the kid lived but from the kid's reaction I have no reservation in saying that I guess it was NO WHERE near to that area.

The OTHER kid may have had a point if it WAS on his family property and if so then fine but we need more information.

Working in retail security in a small town I had my share of cheeky kid's, we had to move them off the stores entrance because large gang's of kid's and teenagers can be intimidating to older customers and also put of innocent younger ones that are just not part of there gang, it was a regular trick with the kid's to get there mobile phones out and camera on so that they could post there footage to the internet in order to get bragging right's.

Don't judge that situation by what you see on one video there is more to it I am telling you, that lady looks to have been fed up with the kid's so I am assuming this was just her reaction coming to a head and her asking nicely for the kid's to stop.

That said if these boy's were NOT harassing anyone, were not damaging the tree (yes we all did it girlfriends names in the wood etc) and were not doing anything else then perhaps she as just an old grump, but she could have just been genuinely concerned in case they fell out of the tree only to then be met with kid's that were willing to argue with her.

We can not pass judgement, let's not call her a Karan or use that term which insults genuine lady's CALLED Karan (it's actually quite a nice name and I have known many nice lady's with that name but the meme has ruined it).

edit on 20-3-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I grew up in urban environments. Mostly in apartment complexes. We love tree climbing. Tress in an apartment complex cannot be claimed by any individuals as "on their property". In my entire childhood, i dont think we ever encountered a scenario where we just willy nilly tresspassed on a homeowners property to climb a tree, and from what facts are available there is no tresspassing occuring in this video. As a child in a city, you get an understanding of "Do not tresspass" pretty early on. These kids were not tresspassing. That nasty woman however is clearly harassing minor children without cause. In an abusive manner for that matter.

I only fell out of a tree once when i was like eight, landed on my head too. I got a pretty hard head though. I said ouch, ru bed it for some time, and went back to climbing more carefully. I did have an older friend who fell from like twenty feet or higher out of a grand oak. Landed flat on his back. Some fella came running from another block when he heard the thump like "wtf was that!?" ?? My buddy could not move he was totally breathless the wind knocked out of him. Whoever called 911 paramedica came pretty quick as our apartment entrance was only literally about 3 or 4 blocks from the hospital on dale mabry and hamilton.

Not a single broken bone or any internal hemmaraging, which i was told was bleeding as i had no idea wtf that word meant at that age. We were climbing that tree again the following week. He just chose not to go so high anymore.

Only the spineless stop their fun from a learning experience. We always used the first big branch , about 7 or so feet off the ground, as our overwatch position when playing cops and bandits. It also doubled as the getaway if there was not already a scout parked up there.

Man it sure was fun being a kid! Everyone having cap guns made it all the more fun.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The problem is people read stories like this and think this is the world at large. It's not. This is some cosmic number like 0.00000002 percent of the population.

Stop. Following. Media.
It's all a bunch of negative crap. Positive stuff doesn't get clicks/viewership.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Kid's are more resilient than adult's, more cartilage in there bones mean they bend rather than break where an adult has harder bones but they are more prone to break than bend.

We had a disused quarry near to us and hauled a shopping trolley (As we call them over here, supermarket shopping cart in the states) up to the top of a large oak and that became our Crow's Nest, a few stray plank's, a borrowed hammer and some nails and we had all manner of fun up that tree.

Kid's also have far more fun with a length of rope and a piece of wood tied to the end that they can grab with both hands and swing over gully's with, I fell about 30 feet and was about 11, skidded chin first down the steep side of a ravine toward were someone had dumped an old washing machine and banged head first into that, got up non the worse and was back up the tree as soon as I shook the daze off, so yes I am NOT picking on the kid's, they are just being ordinary normal little boy's and it is far better that they are actually playing out in the fresh air than sitting in front of a game console somewhere, rather I am just asking the question if these kid's don't live around there is it right that they should be a nuisance if that is how they were being perceived by this elderly lady or was she just going a bit too far, we simply do not have enough background to draw a conclusion here.

On the merit's of the video I see both party's have a point and both are in the right and the wrong UNLESS that is private property that belongs to the first kid's grandfather as he claimed in which case it is then non of her business except in this argument which Stands in British Law but I am not aware of a similar law in the US..

Duty of Common Care.

Basically if she felt they were in danger of falling she had a right and a duty to ask them to come down, if there was an adult with them that would be another matter but left unsupervised then while I would have said she should under this circumstance have left well enough alone, the law is more apt to argue that all adult's that saw them were responsible for there well being.

Also it goes like this, I walk down a road and see a manhole cover open but do nothing about it and then a blind man walking behind me falls into it then I am partially responsible under the duty of common care law, that means because I did nothing I am partially liable.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:39 AM
link   

You cannot climb a tree on someone's property without permission. I spent a lot of time climbing trees when I was a kid, and the rule was the same. It is a liability issue, the woman is right to question the kid and tell him to get down, especially when the homeowner is not home. What happens if that kid gets hurt, it could be a lawsuit.

Except, according to her, the tree does not belong to any homeowner.

It's kinda hard to hear, but the first thing she says immediately at the start of the video is, "The tree is not on anybody's property." Then a few seconds later she says, "It belongs to this street and this neighborhood, and we don't want you on it."

It looks to me like a dog poo area.(there's a little white sign in the grass that says, "Clean Up After Your Dog.") So I was thinking maybe it belongs to the city.

In my opinion, if it's public property, and if there is no sign saying "Do not climb the trees." then it should be ok.

If I'm wrong and it actually is illegal, then instead of going all vigilante, shouldn't she just call the cops?

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
Our culture has always been against nanny state policies. That is clearly changing however. Reminds me of what happened at adventure island yesterday. My 6yo daughter wanted to jump from the lagoon jump where two lines of folks take turns waiting to jump about fifteen feet into 10 foot pool. She never jumped from such a height and asked for a light nudge. I obliged. When she came up she doggy paddled her way to the ladder. Lifeguard jumped in because she felt she looked in distress. She was already at the ladder getting ready to climb out when the nice lady reached her. Said she cannot indulge in that particular attraction for the rest of the visit. Im like "she beat you to the ladder doggy paddling, and your an adult."
Was no big deal really though, she just wanted to try it out. She was spending more of her time doing water slides and splash parks anyways. We just whatevered that blip and carried on with our day. It was spring break and thiusands of folks enjoying ourselves too much.

Speaking of manholes, i used to play with those with my friends as a kid too. Not all the time mind you, just to satisfy our curioisity. Strange how some are very bare and just look like bricked holes, and others are horrifyingly cockroach infested. I just opened the one around the corner for my kies and their friend to see past week. It was suprisingly clean. A crew must have inspected it in the last few months or something. I was honestly expecting a scene from Nest.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 02:39 AM
link   

The kid in the tree even admits its on his friends property. If they were injured they would have a lawsuit. I don't know what's hard to understand about that.

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 02:46 AM
link   

TCB

TCB

No....you shouldn't have to put up a wall. All you should have to do is tell the parents to keep their kids off the property. It is a parental thing really.

The trouble is, it was the parents doing the driving. Where's the respect these days?

TCB

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Did a Karen freak out, or is she a Karen BECAUSE she freaked out?

Come on man, chicken or egg?

We gotta now, it's super important.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join