It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lumber and construction prices skyrocking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Every chain has slack, including supply chains.

We have reached the end of that. Now we get the full feel of the pull, with none of the cushion for the pushin.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Disrupting integrated and existing supply chains has consequences? Who could have possibly known?

The story I got from the injection molder was that plastic was already running behind and the problems in Texas just made it worse.

The lumber issue was from Canada shutting down lumber mills and the border.

Aluminum is up 400% too I hear but I have no idea why.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Where I am it has been creeping up since last summer. I bought some lumber in June that was a bit expensive and then again in September.

The September purchase was about 20% more!

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

www.thefabricator.com...

Today, a year after the pandemic began, steel demand continues to outpace supplies. Buyers report extreme difficulty acquiring enough steel to meet their customers’ needs. Mills are scrambling to fill contract orders and have few tons available to offer spot buyers. Many service centers and OEMs have ordered foreign material—which is cheaper compared to the sky-high domestic prices—and a considerable volume of imports is due to hit U.S. shores in the next few months. Yet various mills have announced maintenance outages on furnaces and other equipment that will offset the imports to some degree and keep supplies tight, at least for the short term.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Surging lumber costs have increased the average cost of a new house by $24,000

A report from the NAHB in February said the lumber supply chain impact came as factories shut down almost immediately last March for safety reasons, and then as demand spiked, supply couldn't keep up. Lumber prices have jumped by almost 200% since April 2020.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Well, here in MI, we could not return our cans for .10 each while this was going on.

I have a garage full. It's a mess.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Our builder from a year ago is currently building another house that uses the same woodworker for a copy of our front door, which granted is oversize, but his cost for the door has gone up by 2k.

Lumber costs on the entire house, just in material, went up by over 15k for him.

Again, mill shutdowns, and the mills that are reopened aren't upping production, just keeping it the same. I think there will be a slow down in building, but in our neck of the woods the real estate market is the hottest it has ever been for existing and new builds.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
It's all really simple really. Outdoor construction started backup last spring, so people were getting fences and decks installed. That type of work tool off big last year, I helped install quite a few fences last year and let me tell you the amount of other people I saw doing the same thing was crazy, but with the "quarantine" thats what a lot of people started doing to make money. Also if you remember the borders were closed to unnecessary trade, just where do you think lumber comes from? It's not like they just cut down a tree and shape it into lumber, there are treatments and such depending on the type of wood I.E. pressure treated. So more people started needing the wood and the supply was quickly exhausted. The supply has never been able to catch up to demand again. Now how many people think they are going to use their Biden Bucks to do similar work this year? Bit of advice, if you want to do a deck go with composite like Trex, the price difference now makes it worth the extra money. Used to be 3x the price of doing it with lumber, now its more reasonable in price and more likely to be in stock. The weather hasn't been warm enough at least in the North East for exterior work but that is gonna change quick.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Yeah, it's not just lumber either. Every type of building material. Switches, lights, drywall, flooring, appliances, etc...
It's a trifecta of bs.
Big box stores killing off smaller lumber yards + tariffs +surge in diy from the lockdowns.

As a builder in the past Lowes was used for high priced , single purchases only, I wouldn't consider buying from a box store. Now it is the only option in some places.

The Walmarting of building supplies was the worst move ever.
Gov doesn't protect our interests anymore.

Now we are choke pointed into Lowes/Home depot.
Now the public stock traders there will want a continuing bump in value, so that will be interesting to watch.
Not sure how that will work.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   
We should play where did the money go.

20% tariffs to big bro (pre-sales tax)>+20% to builders>+20% to home buyers

Houses jump up 20% you say?

Our own politicians policies caused this(Trump included) and cgi Joe wants to increase income taxes even more.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
What's going on?

We've been printing trillions. Most of which were printed in the last year and we've done nothing to arrest it.

We can't hide the inflation anymore.

So you're saying printing money with impunity is bad?

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Good advise, but make sure you research the composite deck materials before you buy.
A lot of the box store stuff is crap and you can't just screw it to the joists.
It's thermal expansion/contraction is big. Especially in the midwest 100--20 degree weather.
It will sear screws right off. Need a hidden fastener type that allows boards to "slide".

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Now is the time to wait until lumber prices go back down and stabilize. Might take another 6 months to a year.

Kind of like bullets

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Now is the time to wait until lumber prices go back down and stabilize. Might take another 6 months to a year.

Do you feel it will stabilize? I have a couple of projects on hold, and am really wondering if 6 months from now I will be kicking myself for waiting if prices stay the same or even possibly go higher.

The price of housing is experiencing the same dilemma..jump in or wait it out..if you can.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

The price of housing is experiencing the same dilemma..jump in or wait it out..if you can.

Realtors are begging us to sell, we are getting weekly mailings, and even one so brazen to come to our door at night!

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Depends on who you are.

If you are first in line at the printing press then it's good.

If it's everyone else, not so much.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

Good luck there. I have been trying to buy the entire year.
20% over ask, cash, no inspection wins(or gets you a seat at the table).
6 offers in first hour listed..if even listed..the pocket buyers and sellers are another issue.
It is pure chaos.

That 20% down that new families need just got smoked on the "tax"
...But fha might hook us up..lol

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   
We just moved in to our new build, luckily we avoided most of the price hikes, unfortunately we have not avoided the shortages and long lead times on items. Blinds took over 3 months to be completed for example. I was lucky to find a couple of shower doors in stock otherwise 2+ months on those. Furniture is also absent, wife and I went to Ikea, they've been sold out of tabletops for a while now, couches, chairs, etc. It's been interesting trying to piece together the things we need like my new work desk out of various parts that were available.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe we could push everyone to work from home on our app, crash the housing market and buy their homes up too?
Gd computer nerds.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
only one andswer... overpopulation and an stronger envirement regulations
there will be soon an time that the last tree on earth is pulled douwn
by global heating moore and moore forrest will burn douwn that in cobination with higher need of timber and pellets for heating itdrives the prices up..
its pure an rat race to the end !

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join