It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli researchers announce discovery of new Dead Sea scroll fragments

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 04:41 AM
link   
The Israel Antiquities Authority have today announced the discovery of new scroll fragments from the Cave of Horror in Nahal Hever , the cave was given its name as it's only accessible by rappelling down a sheer cliff.The discovery comes during a search of the area started in 2017.

Researchers in Israel say they have discovered the first new fragments of the Dead Sea Scrolls for six decades, with the new artefacts dating back to the 2nd century.

The Israel Antiques Authority (IAA) announced on Tuesday that fragments of a scroll had been found in a cave in the Judean Desert. The discovery came during a several-year-long survey of all the caves in the area, carried out by the IAA.

The newly found fragments of the scrolls are Greek translations of the books of Nahum and Zechariah from the Book of the Twelve Minor Prophets. The only Hebrew in the text is the name of God while the rest is written in Greek.
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's quite amazing that they are still able to find fragments from these scrolls.

I wonder why they didn't refer to the Hebrew God's name in the article... and I wonder if it's the same name that was revealed to Moses as four Hebrew consonants (YHWH) called the tetragrammaton?

Love Archeology, great find Gortex!
Johnny

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This is quite interesting! I've always found the subject of the dead sea scrolls fascinating as they have added great detail to judeo Christian history, with much more to learn and be discovered in the future.
Makes you wonder how many other scrolls or tablets remain waiting to be found. This recent find is cool because of where the cave is and how the people that discovered it had to repel down a cliff to access it.

I wonder if the people who originally put that stuff there had to make a rope repeling apparatus to get them there way back then. Things that make you go hmmm

S&F OP thanks!

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Let me guess, these "new" discoveries cast doubt on the accuracy of the Bible.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

I doubt it.

The newly found fragments of the scrolls are Greek translations of the books of Nahum and Zechariah from the Book of the Twelve Minor Prophets.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Does it really matter? To the believer it is accurate enough. To the heathen, it never will be. It is what it is.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   

The bible casts doubt on the accuracy of the bible.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Well if they are in Greek, they were written after Alexander the Great conquered the A&NE so, not really going to offer much to anyone, not of any real importance in relation to accuracy.
It’s all OT stuff, OT is Hebrew, in Greek it’s a latter translation

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Does it really matter? To the believer it is accurate enough. To the heathen, it never will be. It is what it is.
Lol, so woke.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Interesting to see if they match the current Bible, or if any text was changed by "the church" thousands of years after it was written.

Also interesting to see if any passages can be re-translated with additional clarifications.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Interesting to see if they match the current Bible, or if any text was changed by "the church" thousands of years after it was written.

Also interesting to see if any passages can be re-translated with additional clarifications.

Being honest and realistic about it and even though I really do believe the existence of some sort of Israel (somewhere) is a real need following everything that has happened in the past 2000 years, when the very basis of the state of Israel is based on the book then I'm beginning to take every so called 'find' with a very large grain of salt

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   

The church didn’t exist till after Jesus
The Old Testament is the Jewish scriptures, they existed before christianity, it’s not christian doctrine
It’s Jewish, minor prophets Nahum and Zechariah, historical Jewish literature
These books were written centuries before the church existed

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing. Any time we time that we find new Second Century texts, biblical or not, is a good thing!

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: Klassified

Lol, so woke.

Ouch Arnie!

Me being the heathen in this equation, I just think we're all going to believe (or not believe) what we're going to believe. What an archaeologist says in relation to that seldom changes anyone's mind. Arguing the merits of either religion or atheism on ATS is for fun and debate, but outside of the digital world, I seldom discuss it unless someone else brings it up.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Imagine coming into this thread and trying to make it in any way about Christianity. And also calling oneself a fan of ancient cultures and/or civilizations.

As a atheist with no bitterness I totally understand how religious dogma works and why. I also understand its historical importance.

But let's be real----Christianity plagiarized constantly by blending pagan traditions into its history. So the idea that any of it is literal---wellllllllll it hard to talk to someone who treats the bible like gospel. intended funny.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What value are the scrolls to humanity. I get the antiquity cool factor but outside of that it's religious and doesn't do much of anything but cause more debate about the bible which is pointless.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
What value are the scrolls to humanity. I get the antiquity cool factor but outside of that it's religious and doesn't do much of anything but cause more debate about the bible which is pointless.

It is history.
We can learn from the past.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

The Old Testament is the Jewish scriptures, they existed before christianity, it’s not christian doctrine

Yes, exactly. That is all true, and goes with what I'm saying. Since the Scriptures pre-date "the church" that is what allowed "the church" to come along much later and decide what books to be included in the Bible, and how words and phrases were translated. See Council of Nicea. Finding originals that predate this activity could shed light on what was possibly changed or "mis-translated", whether on purpose on not.

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Yes, exactly. That is all true, and goes with what I'm saying. Since the Scriptures pre-date "the church" that is what allowed "the church" to come along much later and decide what books to be included in the Bible, and how words and phrases were translated. See Council of Nicea. Finding originals that predate this activity could shed light on what was possibly changed or "mis-translated", whether on purpose on not.

So the council of Nicaea canonised the bible, interesting

posted on Mar, 16 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

The fragments are historical documents that detail ancient and near east history, mostly pertaining to the Hebrews
It’s like finding a book about Egypt it’s society, history and culture then saying
“but outside of that it's religious and doesn't do much of anything but cause more debate”
Because all cultures back then were religious

And books should cause debate and discussion, that’s why they are written unless Dc Seuss is is your fodder, oops, maybe not Doc Seuss, he is up for debate

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join