It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The next money pit attempt --- medicare for all

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You can imagine why I put this in the Mud Pit.
Obamacare never really worked as it should.
Now there will be an attempt to make another voluminous bill to attempt to tax the middle class even more with a Medicare-for-all bill.
And how in the heck could this possibly be FREE for all?

Medicare for seniors isn't free...ask anyone one of them. It is a monthly premium directly zapped from your Social Security check. And it doesn't cover everything. It takes a supplemental, non-government policy to cover most medical bills...and that isn't usually free either.
Jayapal, Dingell to Unveil Medicare for All Act

"Mark your calendars!" tweeted Jayapal (D-Wash.), a longtime single-payer advocate who was the lead House sponsor of the Medicare for All Act of 2019, which experts at the time characterized as the gold standard for universal healthcare legislation. The bill proposed a two-year transition to a Medicare for All system that would provide comprehensive healthcare to everyone in the U.S. for free at the point of service.

A commentary
www.nytimes.com...

ktrh.iheart.com...

Conservatives continue to sound the alarm about President Biden’s "COVID-19" relief bill. Policy experts say the bill includes the biggest expansion of government healthcare spending since Obamacare.

They are worried Biden’s "COVID-19" relief bill is a first step towards a Medicare-for-All system that's unsustainable.

Of course, it's unsustainable......

edit on Mon Mar 15 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: spelling

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I guess pay private? That's what I do. Way more affordable.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Well. . . Biden, with just one Execuitive Order basically fired thousands and raised gas prices.

With his tax hikes and government take-over of healthcare we'll be well and truely screwed over.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Been there, done that. Just had some kidney stones removed. I could have bought a new car for that price.
edit on 3 15 2021 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I won't support a wide spending measure for anything right now, so it should come to no surprise I'm not thrilled about this idea.

The only way I'd be a little receptive to it is if they did it in a smart way, which is an oxymore in the context of federal government quarter backing something.

If junk food had a luxury tax along with tobacco, it could lesson the spending blow. Coupled with the leverage against pharmaceutical price gouging towards Americans, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... But it would be far from the best too.

I haven't seen the feds do one thing well, so I don't expect this to be the first.

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

If junk food had a luxury tax along with tobacco, it could lesson the spending blow.

It's statements like the above that make me want to scream and break things.

Let's say government taxes junk food and tobacco.

They will spend the tax money collected.

Then when people say, "Welp, no more junk food and tobacco!" government won't stop spending.

They'll say we have a deficit.

And then tax something else.

Maybe something YOU like.

And then when you complain, I'll laugh my ass off and say I told you so.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   
They'll be passing laws without providing payment methods other than the standard borrowing.

Then watch taxes get raised into the ionosphere.

😎☠️😎

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The fact the US doesn’t have a universal healthcare system is what’s unsustainable.

You’ve got people losing everything they’ve spent there entire lives working for, just to cover unforeseen basic medical costs... it’s an absolute travesty that it’s allowed to happen in any first world wealthy nation, let alone the most wealthiest nation on earth.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Many other countries have such a system and it works.

Some better than others.

Private enterprise cannot do it. They just get greedier and greedier.

So many snouts in the money trough is why you can't have a great system.

P

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Based on my calculations, we are the poorest country on earth.

What other country has 30 trillion in debt and 200 trillion in unfunded liabilities?

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, I hate taxes, but I prefer those that are more discriminate to those who will be more of a strain on said government "services".

Income taxes are far worse than taxes that would target users of the system.

I'm hand over fist a tax producer, not consumer. I also hate all spending. The only initiative i would actually support is an education overhaul, which I would view as an investment more than spending, one that if done right could actually pay out dividends in the future. That said I'm a realist and highly doubt such a thing could be accomplished.

For the record, I'm strongly against a government run Healthcare system, but if I lose that argument which is a strong possibility, I'd much rather people who binge on junk food and smoke pay more than the rest of us. My income gets raped as much as it is.

Income tax is a new concept, and a God awful one. Consumption tax makes far more sense along with reduced spending across the board.

If you use the roads more, you pay more tax. If you don't drive at all, or use public transport, you pay very little or none. It's a concept that makes more sense.

But then again, I'm smooth brained, so there's that.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If we end up with government-run health system, I'm going to eat poorly, drink too much, and get even fatter.

Then I'll demand that you and everyone else pay for it.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Let's try some math

Hospital share holders. + insurance companies + pharmaceutical = ????

Now

???? × government mandate. =

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
a reply to: sine.nomine

Been there, done that. Just had some kidney stones removed. I could have bought a new car for that price.

Ultimately, this is a personal question and issue. The system did (and should) force the individual to ask "How much is my life/lack of pain/convenience/etc worth TO ME?" Then, according to each individual's means, they are in control of how much of their own money they are willing to part with to get the result they are seeking from the doctor. Instead we have far, far too many who aren't willing to put their own money towards their healthcare, but are sure as hell demanding it be free and easy from the money stolen from workers via federal income tax.

Sorry, if a person places more importance on budgeting towards their new Escalade rims or latest iPhone than they are willing to spend on extending their own life via healthcare they are paying for, then it is insane to expect the rest of society to budget our earnings for them to receive a free ride.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If we end up with government-run health system, I'm going to eat poorly, drink too much, and get even fatter.

You can do that now, just go on welfare and sign up for one of the Obamacare programs in one of the many states that kept that disasterpiece in place.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Well, as I said, I strongly oppose it.

I'm just tired of spending measures being I introduced without funding sourced implied before a bill is debated.

I'd rather that be a prerequisite before it can even enter the floor.

I'm sure I produce far more tax revenue than I've ever gotten close to using. I get on roads, thats about it.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

You can do that now, just go on welfare and sign up for one of the Obamacare programs in one of the many states that kept that disasterpiece in place.

I still have an ounce of self-respect and dignity along with a private healthcare plan.

Not ready for my healthcare costs to be thrust upon the skinny jeans of a generation of soy-boi's.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Just think all the insurance employees can become government administrative employees 😵‍💫

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Just think all the insurance employees can become government administrative employees 😵‍💫

Or they can get jobs building solar panels.

posted on Mar, 15 2021 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
You can imagine why I put this in the Mud Pit.
Obamacare never really worked as it should.
Now there will be an attempt to make another voluminous bill to attempt to tax the middle class even more with a Medicare-for-all bill.
And how in the heck could this possibly be FREE for all?

Medicare for seniors isn't free...ask anyone one of them. It is a monthly premium directly zapped from your Social Security check. And it doesn't cover everything. It takes a supplemental, non-government policy to cover most medical bills...and that isn't usually free either.
Jayapal, Dingell to Unveil Medicare for All Act

"Mark your calendars!" tweeted Jayapal (D-Wash.), a longtime single-payer advocate who was the lead House sponsor of the Medicare for All Act of 2019, which experts at the time characterized as the gold standard for universal healthcare legislation. The bill proposed a two-year transition to a Medicare for All system that would provide comprehensive healthcare to everyone in the U.S. for free at the point of service.

A commentary
www.nytimes.com...

ktrh.iheart.com...

Conservatives continue to sound the alarm about President Biden’s "COVID-19" relief bill. Policy experts say the bill includes the biggest expansion of government healthcare spending since Obamacare.

They are worried Biden’s "COVID-19" relief bill is a first step towards a Medicare-for-All system that's unsustainable.

Of course, it's unsustainable......

Unsustainable?....Yes, but that's the kind of much-needed stimulus for the U.S., and --- with the help --- of foreign economies to get us out of this covid-19 pandemic hellhole.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join