It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sound of Science , Percy Zaps a Rock

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
In its short time on Mars Percy has already delivered a super fine panorama of its new home and given me what I've always wanted , the sound of the Martian wind , to add to that now Percy has delivered the sound of science on mars , in the video we hear Percy's laser firing as it assaults a nearby rock to discover its secrets , further in the video we once again hear the Martian wind blowing as it has for billions of years without an ear to hear it ... now we have an ear on Mars.

It may not seem like much but we are the first Humans to hear such sounds from an alien world , I find that pretty awesome.

edit on 11-3-2021 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Very cool!

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

That is pretty awesome gortex thanks for sharing

I was at work this morning watching SpaceX launch more satellites live on my phone with a colleague, I sad "If you'd told me when I was 15 that I would would be at work watching a live space launch from America on my phone in a small town in England I'd have laughed in your face."

Yet here we are, observing the only planet we know of entirely populated by robots !!

One wonders what the future holds

S&F

Cody

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Sounds a bit like being on an arctic expedition... or a jet flying overhead, depends

In any case, it does give Mars a more familiar, terrestrial "feel".

Now let's go and find some ancient life!

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Sound might be hard to come by on Mars with its very thin atmosphere and low pressure.

Science is fun

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Nice to see you Cody.

Scientifically speaking the future is bright , fingers crossed for a successful launch of the Ingenuity helicopter , exciting times mate.

edit on 11-3-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Sound might be hard to come by on Mars with its very thin atmosphere and low pressure.

Science is fun

The sound of the laser might be propagating through the rover itself.

posted on Mar, 11 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

The laser and the science microphone are located on Perseverance Rover's Supercam , I think the sound is the sound of the laser.

SuperCam identifies minerals and rock compositions, and it seeks organic compounds that could be related to past life on Mars. It has a laser that can zap and study areas on a rock as small as the period at the end of this sentence. All from about 20 feet, or 7 meters away. Its camera and spectrometers then examine the rock's chemistry. The microphone on SuperCam gives scientists another "sense" with which to probe the rock targets they are studying.
mars.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm a bit disappointed that we have not been able to make an anomilies thread.

Curiosity had hundreds of strange looking rocks and other pareidolia, but none this time.

I do find that a bit strange in itself.

posted on Mar, 12 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Moohide

If I recall correctly, there wasn't anything anomalous in Curiosity's images during the first few sols either. Trust me when I say, there will definitely be some odd looking features cropping up in Percy's images sooner or later.

posted on Mar, 17 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Percy has spotted it's first dust devil on Mars.

top topics

join