It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let us do a little math on 15.00 minimum wage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The liberals and democrats want to lift people out of poverty and give them a "living wage". So let's focus on the impacts to the individual working that minimum wage job. I'm not going to discuss the other impacts to the economy or businesses in general.

So, let's assume that our worker with girlfriend and child (aka the breadwinner) currently makes $8.00 and hypothetically works 40 hours a week (even though most minimum wage jobs are not 40 hr per week "full time" jobs.

$8.00 per week at 40 hrs/wk = $16,640 or $1,386.66 (Based on gross income)

Now, with an annual salary of $16,640 how much does our worker with girlfriend and child pay in Federal taxes? 10%
So that brings us to about $14,976. Minus local taxes, let us assume 1% local tax. Now we are at $14,810 and we are going to assume this worker with girlfriend and child is not investing in a 401K. We won't even bother deducting social security and medicare.
Monthly net income is about $1,234.

Does our worker with girlfriend and child qualify for SNAP? Yes they do!
eligibility.com...
www.masslegalhelp.org...

So I would get about $535 in monthly SNAP benefits.

So just adding SNAP benefits, our worker with girlfriend and child is actually making about $1,769 NET INCOME adding just SNAP alone.

Now let's add our Medicaid benefits. Yey, we qualify since we are under $29,207 (before taxes). Let's just say that equates to about $400 a month we save from having to pay for medical insurance through our employer for a family plan ($200 per pay is an extremely low estimate for a family insurance plan). What are we up to now in monthly wage?
$2,169!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for the sake of argument, we will just stop here even though we probably qualify for several other assistance programs, like housing, utilities etc.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, let's see what our $15/hr worker with girlfriend and child will make, shall we?

$15/hr equates to $31,200 per year or $2,600 (gross monthly income)
Federal tax bracket = 15%
us.icalculator.info...

So our net income after Uncle Sam takes his part is $25,392 minus local taxes of 1% = $25,080 or $2,090 (net income).

To qualify for SNAP we would have to be below $2,184 (gross); $1,680 (net) OH NO!!!!! We loose our SNAP benefits!!!!
WHAT! We loose our Medicaid too!!!!! And all our other govt assistance?

So just doing some very generous back of the paper math, we can see that our $8.00 worker with child and girlfriend with Govt assistance actually make MORE that our $15.00 per hour "living wage" worker with child and girlfriend.

$8.00 with Govt assistance = $2,169 net monthly income (very lowball estimate)
$15.00 with not Uncle Sam helping = $2,090 net monthly income

But the democrats are helping you earn your "living wage", and they thank you for being a new taxpayer.

edit on 6-3-2021 by panoz77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:42 PM
link   
They dont care about the 15, all window dressing..it's not happening.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Not to discourage you, but poverty level calculations are a function of minimum wage as well. They will keep most benefits as those numbers are adjusted. And those on retirement or disability from Social Security will also see adjustments.

What really doesn’t have a built in increase are those doing slightly above minimum wage in the $9-$10 per hour wage. Sure they will go to $15 as well (if their job is not eliminated completely) but wouldn’t that be the same as cutting them to $7.25 right now?

What jobs will be eliminated? When is the last time you saw ticket takers in every movie theater? How about a dedicated hostess at a restaurant versus servers just doing the job?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

The point is that these fools who think they are going to make more money and a "living wage" at $15/hr are taking a BIG paycut. I say let them have it, at least they will be paying and not taking anymore. It's a trap and these people demanding $15/hr are too stupid to realize it, LOL.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Damn.. back in 1992 I was still a paramedic making $4.99 an hour. No 5% increase. Worked 12+ hours 3 4 times a week.

God forbid i requested that no one put a slice of cheese pickle on any of that.

I worked 3 jobs back then just to pay rent.

Edit: #superpistoffatfluffycakespecialrealpeopletryingtosurvivebecause15$makesadifferancewhoneedsspellcheck.
edit on 6-3-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   

When the prices of basic necessities rise to adjust to the pay raise the people living on social security will get shafted.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

So you think they are going to keep the poverty level adjusted to $15/hr minimum wage? That would be some irony. Here is your $15/hr "living wage", oh and BTW, you are still at "poverty level". Interesting, I wonder if they make adjustments to those calculations if they ever double the minimum wage.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
The liberals and democrats want to lift people out of poverty and give them a "living wage". So let's focus on the impacts to the individual working that minimum wage job. I'm not going to discuss the other impacts to the economy or businesses in general.

So, let's assume that our worker with girlfriend and child (aka the breadwinner) currently makes $8.00 and hypothetically works 40 hours a week (even though most minimum wage jobs are not 40 hr per week "full time" jobs.

$8.00 per week at 40 hrs/wk = $16,640 or $1,386.66 (Based on gross income)

Now, with an annual salary of $16,640 how much does our worker with girlfriend and child pay in Federal taxes? 10%
So that brings us to about $14,976. Minus local taxes, let us assume 1% local tax. Now we are at $14,810 and we are going to assume this worker with girlfriend and child is not investing in a 401K. We won't even bother deducting social security and medicare.
Monthly net income is about $1,234.

Does our worker with girlfriend and child qualify for SNAP? Yes they do!
eligibility.com...
www.masslegalhelp.org...

So I would get about $535 in monthly SNAP benefits.

So just adding SNAP benefits, our worker with girlfriend and child is actually making about $1,769 NET INCOME adding just SNAP alone.

Now let's add our Medicaid benefits. Yey, we qualify since we are under $29,207 (before taxes). Let's just say that equates to about $400 a month we save from having to pay for medical insurance through our employer for a family plan ($200 per pay is an extremely low estimate for a family insurance plan). What are we up to now in monthly wage?
$2,169!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for the sake of argument, we will just stop here even though we probably qualify for several other assistance programs, like housing, utilities etc.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, let's see what our $15/hr worker with girlfriend and child will make, shall we?

$15/hr equates to $31,200 per year or $2,600 (gross monthly income)
Federal tax bracket = 15%
us.icalculator.info...

So our net income after Uncle Sam takes his part is $25,392 minus local taxes of 1% = $25,080 or $2,090 (net income).

To qualify for SNAP we would have to be below $2,184 (gross); $1,680 (net) OH NO!!!!! We loose our SNAP benefits!!!!
WHAT! We loose our Medicaid too!!!!! And all our other govt assistance?

So just doing some very generous back of the paper math, we can see that our $8.00 worker with child and girlfriend with Govt assistance actually make MORE that our $15.00 per hour "living wage" worker with child and girlfriend.

$8.00 with Govt assistance = $2,169 net monthly income (very lowball estimate)
$15.00 with not Uncle Sam helping = $2,090 net monthly income

But the democrats are helping you earn your "living wage", and they thank you for being a new taxpayer.

I've been calling the open door a prison for the American people due to it is all a spider web trap. The plan actually is to keep the low income at a very low income . Its design that way. If you've ever had to go on welfare and don't have the mental energy to get out and get educated, then you'll understand the "spider web economic trap ".
edit on 0300000040102021-03-06T22:10:40-06:00104003pm10 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   
That guy earning $7 is now worth $15. That $8 difference. I think for every $8 I earn I should get a $7 tax exemption. Then it would start looking like fair.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I too would like for my salary to double, but we all know it won't.
This is just a pay cut for anyone who makes more than minimum wage.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Before it was $7.25 it was $5.15 and also increased in yearly steps to $7.25

They have done it that way a couple times. Nice historical chart

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The numbers don’t matter to them. I mean look at it. It is so pretty and many have fallen for it simply because it is more.

Look, it is $15.00. Erm, why did I just get let go because the company cannot afford so many people?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

They have never doubled min wage before. $5 to $7 is one thing, but $7 to $15 is quite another.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Not to discourage you, but poverty level calculations are a function of minimum wage as well. They will keep most benefits as those numbers are adjusted. And those on retirement or disability from Social Security will also see adjustments.

What really doesn’t have a built in increase are those doing slightly above minimum wage in the $9-$10 per hour wage. Sure they will go to $15 as well (if their job is not eliminated completely) but wouldn’t that be the same as cutting them to $7.25 right now?

What jobs will be eliminated? When is the last time you saw ticket takers in every movie theater? How about a dedicated hostess at a restaurant versus servers just doing the job?

That is the real downside... job elimination. A lot of the entry level positions will simply be eliminated. Not only that, the math in the ROI calculation to use tech instead of a person for some jobs gets more favorable as well too.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Before it was $7.25 it was $5.15 and also increased in yearly steps to $7.25

They have done it that way a couple times. Nice historical chart

That was sort of the plan here I think, was going to get to 15 over 5 years?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I figured what a person would actually take home, along with disqualifying them for medicaid and the excess social security and food benefits less and coupled it with a ten percent across the board cost increase in products they buy and rent payments since the landlord would have extra payments. All I came up with is inflation and the person might believe they gained for a while, but within a year they would see the rising costs and loss of low income status and be just as broke as they were before. Remember, everything goes up to cover the costs every business incurrs, except of course big box stores and online sales. That will kill off most small businesses because their customers won't have the money to buy anything other than essentials. It will drag down the middle class and everyone will be in the same boat, broke all the time.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You might want to rethink your post. SNAP benefits in federal fiscal year 2021 is $1,810 a month. Thus, 130 percent of the poverty line for a three-person family is $2,353 a month, or about $28,200 a year. Your family on 15.00 an hour wage 25,392.20 would qualify for SNAP. So wouldnt it be better for them to make 15.00 instead of 8.00 and have more money to spend?

Its rare when you see someone disprove their own point.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:40 AM
link   
People like Rush Limbaugh made a fortune convincing the middle class the poor is somehow ripping them off meanwhile Wall Street pillages trillions,I wouldn't get out of bed for $15.00 US

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

You might want to rethink your post. SNAP benefits in federal fiscal year 2021 is $1,810 a month. Thus, 130 percent of the poverty line for a three-person family is $2,353 a month, or about $28,200 a year. Your family on 15.00 an hour wage 25,392.20 would qualify for SNAP. So wouldnt it be better for them to make 15.00 instead of 8.00 and have more money to spend?

Its rare when you see someone disprove their own point.

Gross or net income? $15/hr is $31,200 gross. $2,600 gross monthly or around $2,100 net monthly. Show me.
www.cbpp.org...
"Gross monthly income — that is, household income before any of the program’s deductions are applied — generally must be at or below 130 percent of the poverty line. For a family of three, the poverty line used to calculate SNAP benefits in federal fiscal year 2021 is $1,810 a month. Thus, 130 percent of the poverty line for a three-person family is $2,353 a month, or about $28,200 a year."

Correct me if I'm wrong but $2,353 is less than $2,600 GROSS INCOME.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Every few years its just about shuffling numbers around. Lets face it, very few in this country actually produce anything, and those that are and are not on the government tax machine teet? Well there not rolling in the dough and buying yachts, that's for sure and even the yachts are made in germany.

And its almost impossibly to start up a business that isn't just in the business of shipping and receiving and trading goods from china or somewhere else.

One reason being because the taxes on such business even if the local ordnance and code or government lets you or sell you the pass, and second, unless you got big money its almost impossible to produce anything and still make a profit. So! Pretty much America is screwed. And its actually harder to start a business in America then it is in China or other countries.

In fact pretty much unless its essentials like catering and foods and shipping. Its kind of just marketing.

its no wonder the only business booming, are fortune 500 companies, you know the people selling you # made by automation or cheep labor in Bangladesh. What we have here is pretty much what you all deserve after lifetimes of giving Walmart and China your money time and labor.

Well what do you expect. In fact, its the least of it.

Like George Carlin said people there stuff and things. Really, at this point may as well give people money so they can buy stuff, you know to keep the economy going. Not like there really doing anything but shuffling the stuff that was built by a machine hand in some factory somewhere in the third world country.

Funny no? To exist merely to buy crap. So ya. 15 dollar an hour 5 dollar an hour. Or a million dollar an hour. Its just shuffling # around adding and removing zeros from numbers in goods and paychecks. And the TV decides which made up do nothing job is worth what. That there is all your realities.

Arguing about minimum wage as a livable expense. Is just silly at this point. The government is not into creating livable wages. If they were? Then they would put themself out of business then. So ya! Like we must keep the economy going and all that.

See how fast a little fake mask wearing fiasco brought our great civilization to its knees? What do you think will happen when the real # hits the fan? Lets just say. This house is build of straw. It is quite a pickle indeed. But you know? Whatever. # happens. So its shuffled back and forth every few years.

Why so serious yo. It is what it is. probably as good as it gets, you know? Considering this may be the pinnacle of human civilization.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join