It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abbott Announces Bill Prohibiting Social Media Censorship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Let's hope this passes in Texas and gains traction in other states. Big Tech and Social Media have been installed and nurtured financially to control people and systematically strip us of our freedom. It doesn't matter if a minority of people refuse to participate. If they're not curbed, their power over us will be unstoppable.

Link-a-Dink Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) announced on Friday that he plans to sign a bill into law that would prohibit social media companies from censoring Texans’ viewpoints online, adding that censorship is “not going to be tolerated in Texas. We see that the First Amendment is under assault by these social media companies, and that is not going to be tolerated in Texas,” said Governor Abbott at a press conference on Friday alongside State Senator Bryan Hughes (R).

“There is a dangerous movement spreading across the country trying to try to silence conservative ideas, religious beliefs,” the governor added. “We saw that first arise on college campuses. But now,” Abbott continued, “these social media tech companies are using their tools to silence conservative speech on their platforms.”

“We don’t allow your phone company to cut you off because they don’t like your politics, your cable company can’t cut you off because of your religion,” said Hughes. “These social media companies are common carriers. They have chosen to enter into that business, and they cannot discriminate against people in a violation of the First Amendment.”

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Facebook and Twitter are PRIVATE companies. This site used to stand up for capitalism and companies rights, and now that you don't like the direction they are taking, you change your minds. Remember the whole "gay cake" thing?

Sorry, but private companies can do as they wish.

If you don't like it, start your own Facebook or twitter to spread your lies. Seems they don't like doing it anymore.

And Dems have been wanting to make Facebook and Twitter "utilities" for years, so that they CAN be regulated. Is that where you want to go? I'm fine with that.

a reply to: Snarl

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 06:34 AM
link   
From the source...

“The United States of America was built on freedom of speech and healthy public debate,”

Couldn't have said it better myself. Give'em hell Governor Abbott.

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

So why is it that Conservatives are being censored while BLM and ANTIFA are allowed to post their hatred ? Liberals are too afraid to hear differing opinions, because they can't defend their ideas.

[ Liberal with fingers in ears ] SHUT UP LALALALALALAL

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Let's hope this passes in Texas and gains traction in other states. Big Tech and Social Media have been installed and nurtured financially to control people and systematically strip us of our freedom. It doesn't matter if a minority of people refuse to participate. If they're not curbed, their power over us will be unstoppable.

Link-a-Dink Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) announced on Friday that he plans to sign a bill into law that would prohibit social media companies from censoring Texans’ viewpoints online, adding that censorship is “not going to be tolerated in Texas. We see that the First Amendment is under assault by these social media companies, and that is not going to be tolerated in Texas,” said Governor Abbott at a press conference on Friday alongside State Senator Bryan Hughes (R).

“There is a dangerous movement spreading across the country trying to try to silence conservative ideas, religious beliefs,” the governor added. “We saw that first arise on college campuses. But now,” Abbott continued, “these social media tech companies are using their tools to silence conservative speech on their platforms.”

“We don’t allow your phone company to cut you off because they don’t like your politics, your cable company can’t cut you off because of your religion,” said Hughes. “These social media companies are common carriers. They have chosen to enter into that business, and they cannot discriminate against people in a violation of the First Amendment.”

This is why they are calling it The Great Re-Set....feed it to these rotten beestard traitor to Humanity freaks......while you are @ it hit that Rainbow we cant seem to get rid of with a coat of paint-thinner and lets get rid of that dam annoying thing already.....its time for he Sun to Shine again on EveryMan and EveryWoman.....

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
Facebook and Twitter are PRIVATE companies. This site used to stand up for capitalism and companies rights, and now that you don't like the direction they are taking, you change your minds. Remember the whole "gay cake" thing?

Sorry, but private companies can do as they wish.

If you don't like it, start your own Facebook or twitter to spread your lies. Seems they don't like doing it anymore.

And Dems have been wanting to make Facebook and Twitter "utilities" for years, so that they CAN be regulated. Is that where you want to go? I'm fine with that.

Game over....Private Companies cannot provide a Utility and a Publishing Business @ the same time......no more Private Propaganda Machines.....ever.....Private control of TV is out of the game soon to......no more streaming privately financed and spewed Anti-Humanitarian propoganda into billions of homes...

Guess what the PUCK HUMANITY AT WILL game is over....get used to it....you missed your chance.

Wait till Bitcoin pooches.....lol...they are almost done herding them all up ......if you think fiat-money was a sham.....lol....lol....my advice is get your value out of imaginary scams ...today....now...ASAP.
edit on 6-3-2021 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Big big sigh... perpetuating the left-right paradigm and divide-and-conquer campaign while completely ignoring that it's not only conservatives being silenced and censored by Big Tech, nor is it all conservatives being silenced by Big Tech.

The personal labels do not help in a war on general principles.

I don't have a problem with the legislation if it applies universally. I just have a problem with the partisan bubble it's coming from.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Big big sigh... perpetuating the left-right paradigm and divide-and-conquer campaign while completely ignoring that it's not only conservatives being silenced and censored by Big Tech, nor is it all conservatives being silenced by Big Tech.

I don't have a problem with the legislation if it applies universally. I just have a problem with the partisan bubble it's coming from.

"There are none so blind as those that will just not see"
Louis Armstrong

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Yeah?

Can your phone company censor your phone calls?

I think you should read about antitrust laws and publishers immunity and such before commenting.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   

As much as I'd like to support this, I can't. In essence, Abbott is infringing upon the rights of a private company to their free expression, even though the social media's idea of free expression is ideologically driven bullcrap.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

That's what we need. More business regulations.

What happened to the real conservatives in this country?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

This^^^ You said what I was thinking, and said it better. BTW, quit reading my mind.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

"There are none so blind as those that will just not see"
Louis Armstrong

So very very true... and that's true across party lines.

I read an article yesterday that I cannot find now, in which conservatives/Republicans were outright trying to "cancel" a conservative woman regarding -- of all things! -- trans rights. The woman was critical, the men were advocates, but all were conservatives. I believe the woman's first name was Liz, and she had a Scandinavian-sounding surname... but darned if I can find it now!

Feminists and gays/lesbians have learned the hard way that their party will loudly and proudly cancel them if they deviate from the progressive script. (I can't even say "liberal," it's progressivism all the way) Apparently not enough conservatives have been cancelled by their own party to see it's not a liberal/conservative/left/right issue.

The only forums I've been "cancelled" by are both conservative politically who didn't like what I had to say. And I was just asking questions at one!!! I didn't even make any blanket statements or assertions... I learned the hard way too!

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The irony is that this will get struck down on a First Amendment ruling.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

As much as I'd like to support this, I can't. In essence, Abbott is infringing upon the rights of a private company to their free expression, even though the social media's idea of free expression is ideologically driven bullcrap.

I get what you're saying DB, but I think one4all nailed it above when he said...

Private Companies cannot provide a Utility and a Publishing Business @ the same time

They tout themselves as an open forum for the exchange of ideas but censor as a publisher. Which one are they? They have to make up their mind. If they're a publisher, they can censor all they want, but if they're claiming to be a public platform or utility, that's different. Also, as said in the OP...

Granted, the statement is debatable, but I think he's right.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The irony is that this will get struck down on a First Amendment ruling.

Good possibility AM (I hate it when you're right.), but at the same time this is a debate that could run on for years.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Government cannot define what free speech is. Even if it (in this case) advocates for free speech.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   

You got most of it ass backwards 🤣🤣🤣🤣

No wonder we see trouble in the clouds 🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Government cannot define what free speech is. Even if it (in this case) advocates for free speech.

Then I guess the question becomes, is government defining free speech in this instance, or are they defending it? What is the governments role in this debate?

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Then I guess the question becomes, is government defining free speech in this instance, or are they defending it? What is the governments role in this debate?

In order to defend it, they have to define it.

Personally, government should stick with delivering mail, providing roads and fighting wars.

Everything else? They should # off.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join