It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Certification Diplomas"!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have a great new idea! The mods can give ATS "certification diplomas" whenever they show excelence in a subject forum. The diploma categories could be:
Ufologist (Aliens and UFOs)
Paranormal Investigator (Paranormal Studies, Cryptozoology)
Conspriacy Theorist (Secret Societies, General Conspiracies, New World Order)
Scientist (Science and Technology)
Astronomer (Space Exploration)
Aviator (Aircraft Projects)
Archeologist (Lost Civilizations)
...and so on. These could also be special status identifiers.`

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
can i be a 'ladies man' and a 'playa-hata'??

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Like they don't have enough to do already...between me and some of the other "problem children" here
.....and their other duties, plus life...they have a lot already. Cool idea though.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well, we already have subject matter experts:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry but I could not find the thread that announced this program. The gist is that several forums have SMEs.

Intelgurl is the SME for aviation.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris

Like "Harvester of Sorrow" ?

Self serve vanities my friend.

It's anarchy!

Said the Regal Beagle.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Yep, we already have experts in the field in sections around ATS and i believe we should have more to help out on the work load.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The key point to this site is to encourage people to feel free to contribute. Not to alienate them with the setting above of others in such a manor. I was a member of a site where i found myself recieving many citations or awards, but noone wanted to talk to me . Finally someone said why those of us with all the citations were avoided was because it seemed we would be unable to see others views.

We are none of us any better than another I told the person, then it was told to me that then if that is so why do you drift to others of like achievements. I said because we are ignored by those who dont have the awards. The person told me , well then remove your awards if they dont matter.

I then tryed to have the notifications of award removed from my profile to no avail. After a while I just gave up on the site because the lack of fresh input. You cant talk to the same limited people for long before you either have irrepairable relations or lack of fruitful conversation........

No we must not do this it will serve to only hurt us in the long run.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

True.

Personally though, there are some that still need experts imho...

UFOs for example.... (not me, as this should be a non-mod position imho, and I believe that is actual policy)

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
True.

UFOs for example.... (not me, as this should be a non-mod position imho, and I believe that is actual policy)

Do you know if there are plans to have more FSME's?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Haven't seen much since the current ones are established...
Perhaps just too much else going on at the moment....

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I don't remember exactly now but when people were originally concerned about FSME's I seem to recall that they wouldn't be used for the majority of subject threads, and that the ones that we've got now would be the only ones considered?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I got rather lost reading this thread....due to the fact I have NO CLUE what FSMA means..........hmmmmmm

lost, lost........................just sayin

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

as posted by invader_chris
Ufologist (Aliens and UFOs)
Paranormal Investigator (Paranormal Studies, Cryptozoology)
Conspriacy Theorist (Secret Societies, General Conspiracies, New World Order)
Scientist (Science and Technology)
Astronomer (Space Exploration)
Aviator (Aircraft Projects)
Archeologist (Lost Civilizations)

Not putting down your idea or proposal, invader_chris, but adding more titles and designations will only continue to act as a catalyst for "systematic polarization" and community divide, IMHO.

The staff of ATS are already under scrutiny for being 'biased', having "favor," and not being objective. This will only add wood to the fire, again, IMHO.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
FSME - Field Subject Matter Expert

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I got rather lost reading this thread....due to the fact I have NO CLUE what FSMA means..........hmmmmmm

lost, lost........................just sayin

FSME - I believe they are referring to Field Subject Matter Experts.

***GAZROK beat me to it***

[edit on 21-3-2005 by LaNena_24]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think that the FSME designation covers that. And I think its reasonable to have the FSMErs as regular posters rather than mods. Infinite and Amantine, for example, do excellent work in their respective subjects, and making them moderators, or expecting a moderator to do similar work, would be, I think, too much of a workload, and uncessary at that.

Intersting idea nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

True.

Unfortunately no one matches your knowledge in UFOs (that I can think of).

I like the idea of ATS "Certification Diplomas". It would not replace FSMEs but it could be a honorable mention for members who are strong on a particular board.
If ATS is now filtering out some potentionaly 'bad' members this could be used as another way to reward 'good' members.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
For newcomers, it is the accumulation of points that seems to be the primary function for most of their posts, so when we see them make excellent posts, we should give credit to them often by clicking your 3 choices for WATS. I try to remember to use all mine up and I try to focus on the newer members. It was a good boost for me when I got one, I remember.

ATS is built upon a system of merit...that was obvious from the moment I saw this site. But, to go overboard, like drbryankkruka warned, was also my experience in a place called Myesp. Those who have the credentials can be intimidating to the rest. Bummer scene.

The solution is to be more generous with quality posters, so that the awarding process is obviously a growing trend to everyone.

I have been here about 8 months now and have seen a fairly good number of people getting credit where due. (Soficrow comes to mind immediately)

I wonder if the idea of FMSE's might just have a positive effect as they become more frequently doled out. Is it really all that much more work?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The experts always stand out, and they don't need titles. You see a well composed post with a valid rationale to it and supporting links, and you say "wow, this guy really knows his stuff"
or in other cases "well, there's vagabond speaking from his nethers again- but at least he did his homework on it."

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

The staff of ATS are already under scrutiny for being 'biased', having "favor," and not being objective. This will only add wood to the fire, again, IMHO.

Its only you seekerof
JK

top topics

<<   2 >>

join