It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space x goes boom,,,, again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Space x launches and lands the sn10...

Then boom

Why you ask?
Because space is fricken hard.

“ SN10 reached its targeted altitude of 6 miles, cutting off each engine in series on the way up to throttle down and hit the desired apogee. The rocket then began an extended picturesque period of free fall -- a "belly flop" as it has come to be known -- before firing the engines back up to perform its trademark flip maneuver to make a vertical landing. After a six-minute journey, SN10 came to rest on the pad at SpaceX's facility in Boca Chica.

It didn't seem like a perfect landing and there seemed to be a slight lean in the Starship's massive stainless steel frame, but it didn't tip over. Then, approximately 10 minutes after the landing, the Starship exploded. Flames erupted from the bottom of the vehicle and sent it for an unscheduled second trip into the sky.”

Seriously, space flight is hard.
After 50 years of practice the failure rate is 1 in 100.
edit on 3-3-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Well, at least it landed first.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

An old adage is “Any landing you can walk away from is a good one”.

That did NOT look walk away-able.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So There are consistent issues with Spacex performing and on this particular mission the went 6 miles high and then came back. Are we to really believe that the recent mission to Mars went off without a hitch?

If space flight is this difficult is NASA just that much better than Spacex or were they just lucky? Or is it all a hoax? I am no expert in space flight by any means but to me something doesn’t add up.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

First it achieved absolute minimal geosynchronous orbit, and then the unschedualled disassembly occurred.

Much better than last time. They know another method that almost works.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The ground got in the way, again. Elon did say that getting to Mars is the easy part. Landing is a whole other story.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

It’s all a hoax.
I mean, unless you believe that a Tesla car is floating through space. With the tires still inflated and the paint still intact. I mean, super frozen vacuum of free flowing radiation. Yeah sure.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:10 PM
link   

It took off twice

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow

The ground got in the way, again. Elon did say that getting to Mars is the easy part. Landing is a whole other story.

Getting there is not easy.
The easiest part might be a better term.
Landing is a bitch.
Living there will probably be impossible.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Landing gear failed to deploy again it seems. They did state they had it under control, hence the "soft" landing, the hover at the end was pretty cool to watch. As soon as it touched down you could see the fire begin, so it was really only a matter of time before it got to something critical in spite of the remote fire-fighting efforts. They've had the Falcon boosters self landing for a while now, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before they get this right. Wiki says:

As of 6 June 2019, SpaceX has attempted 47 landings of a first stage on a solid surface, 40 of which have succeeded.

That's not a bad track record all things considered. Especially with the Starlink missions that aren't counted in that number. I wouldn't strap my butt to one, but hats off to the folks that are braver than I am.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

If you had jumped out and ran like hell you'd have probably have beat the blast radius.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I think you mean the SUCCESS rate is 1 in 100, but either way, I'm still enamored by space flight. One day I'd love to go when space travel, or if space travel take off for the main stream. Astronauts say that your first flight changes you, like really changes your being. Awesome stuff thanks.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

No I meant the failure rate.
One rocket out of every hundred explodes.
That doesn’t really count experimental ones like the one in the op since those are expected to fail at a higher rate.

I’m much like you, I’ve always been fascinated with space and spaceships.
Unfortunately my head gets in the way of the dreams and I see the problems of space travel that may never be overcome.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   
On board censors detected COVID 19 and went into self destruct mode to save the universe of the deadly China plague.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Okay, fair enough.

I definitely have a problem with realism, with most things pertaining to life there's always a problem that must be solved before you can actually solve the problem ar hand, which normally leads to more problems. I do enjoy listening to the stories of astronauts though, maybe one day, a boy can dream, eh?

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It took off twice

Technically, it landed twice, too.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

Yeah... a brisk jog wouldn't even help...

Definitely a "run for your life" sort of egress.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'd really like to see all these efforts to get into and stay into space succeed but I guess this is part of the process till we learn a different method of propulsion, gravity is a bitch

Still think the space elevator concept will be the only way the public may ever get a chance to go into space. As a concept that has huge challenges to overcome and it seems to have fallen out of favor if it had any, to begin with.

With rockets, you have ignitions and cutoffs all with thousand of gallons of combustible fuel. We could fly and land a hundred times successfully but the first time there are casualties, people will want to shut it down or it will lose financing and public favor.
edit on 3-3-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Nobody is living on Mars anytime soon. All the pretty pics leave out the problem of dust, massive dust storms. Impossible. Living quarters would have to be sent their in packages. It would take decades. And for what. By that time robots could do anything a human could do and a lot better with no loss of life. There is also nothing there of value. Waste of time and resources. Only way would be some breakthrough in propulsion. Also not happening.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Space! The final frontier.

Or maybe, not final. More like the next to the last frontier. I don't think space is all that hard to get to. I mean every sci fi movie I have ever seen says so. They just need to fix there constant blowing up on or after takeoff. And they will be alright one day they may even film a moon landing. Or you know? Whatever.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join