It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have 20 grand cash to buy a vehicle guide me ats

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think I will go test drive the honda crv. Every website says #1 compact suv. I mean that’s a lot of websites to pay off for that not to be somewhat true

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: FinallyAwake

I was warned to stay away from the turbo. I am a good boy! I listen!!!

And as I also noted, that was good advice!

Turbo = Bad

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I am going to be driving around my very elderly irish mum. I want to make sure she is safe and comfortable when the odd time I can coax her out the house to a restaurant
edit on 2-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Korean bbq

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Honda makes a hellava vehicle. No two ways about it.

I had an Accord I brutalized for 400k miles and it never spent one minute in the shop.

I could change the brakes on that car during a commercial break on TV (seriously). (wife unit is murder on brakes)

ETA - I'd probably still own that Accord, but we just get way too much snow, and we live on a steep hill. Only FWD or AWD will cut it.

edit on 3/2/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:36 AM
link   

I appreciate the advice 🤙

I also like saying the word

HONDA

Like Im in an akira kurosawa film so that’s a plus
edit on 2-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   

If you're not dealing with deep snow in the wintertime and REALLY nasty mud in the spring and fall, and/or don't need the hard-core AWD capabilities then you can probably skip the Subies and go for the Honda's.

Our cars spend 60% to 75% of their time off-road. You just can't live without FWD/AWD out here.

The Symmetrical AWD from Subaru is really something though. Subaru and Audi invented it (both claim to be 1st), and they've definitely perfected it since. I wasn't kidding when I said my '15 Outback will go places my truck won't even go without being chained up. It will even get around in the 'blow sand', and anyone who knows about blow sand will tell you that's impressive. That thing is simply amazing. BUT, if you don't need that level of capability then Honda is probably your next best bet.

ETA - OH, and that's something else (a negative) I should have noted about the Subaru. With the Symmetrical AWD system, if you get more than about 15k miles on the tires and then damage a tire (like a blowout or something), then you have to buy four (4) new tires, not just one. You can't run tires with uneven wear on them, it will tear up the transmission.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   

a reply to: chr0naut

Wow just looked that up. That’s a great 3:30 am surprise

Being more sensible about things, you might need to revise exactly what your requirements are, and buy for that. Too often people buy for idealized and unrealistic reasons.

Consider how many passengers. Travel distance. Traffic conditions. Parking issues. Fuel prices. Safety. Comfort. Sound quality. Temperature issues.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   

What are your vehicle needs? 20k will buy you pretty much anything practical with 70k miles. Mid size Japanese 4cylinder SUV sounds like your best bet, but the 2010+ Chevy and Ford stuff isn't bad

Avoid Subaru, they are not very reliable unless you are really good about maintenance. I know several people who've blown headgaskets, it's a known problem. scanneranswers.com...

Avoid Chrysler/Dodge in general and especially their V6 engines. The only Dodge I'd consider is a Cummins diesel dodge Ram, I owned one and it did it's job.

If you want to save on long term maintenance, avoid V6 vehicles in general. They are harder to work than 4cyl engines unless it's a rear drive layout.

If you want something that will drive forever, look for a LX470 or Landcruiser from 1990-2010

If you want great on gas look for a recent CRV or RAV4,

Do you need 4 wheel drive?

The only thing that really compares to the Landcruiser is Nissan started selling the international "Patrol" here in 2016 as the Armada, might find one for about 22k.

Stay away from English stuff (Range Rover Jaguar, Aston etc) and European stuff generally ( I own about 12 cars, mostly European, they aren't for average folks, haha) Hands down best vehicle I ever owner was a 1995 Volvo wagon, but those are $2,000

Personally, if I were you, I'd buy a $5,000 90's landcruiser or Tacoma and put the $15,000 into XRP or XLM, and maybe you'll have 200k by December.
edit on 2-3-2021 by 8675309jenny because: typos

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I moved from upstate NY down to Raleigh NC. No snow! Just boiled peanuts.

a reply to: chr0naut

So Besides driving my mum around I will also be driving up to DC to drive my 3 girls around. Ages 16 14 and14

a reply to: 8675309jenny

Im looking at something newer which my mom will enjoy riding in. I think 2017 feels more fresh than a 90’s vehicle
edit on 2-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Hoppin’ john

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Avoid Subaru, they are not very reliable unless you are really good about maintenance. I know several people who've blown headgaskets, it's a known problem.

Ah yes, the infamous "Subaru Squeak". That's pretty much a thing of the past anymore though.

Besides, you couldn't hardly ask for an easier engine to work on than that boxer 4. I mean, an old air cooled VW Beetle might be easier, but not by much.

ETA - I agree on the V-6's though. I avoid them like the plague! I've never known anybody who owned one who didn't have problems with them, and wrenching on them is a major PITA! Given the choice, I'll go for a 4 cylinder every time. That, or a big turbo diesel I-6 or V-8 in a truck. Of course that 6 cylinder Cummins is one hell of a motor. My dream truck would be a Cummins turbo diesel on a Ford Super Duty chassis with the Allison transmission from GM. But, if I was going to go to all that hassle and expense, I'd probably just go with a CAT 3208 diesel!

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Symmetrical AWD is really just marketing nonsense. Not trying to be rude, it's just what it is.

The Germans had it on Schwimmwagens in 1941: www.thesamba.com...

The only thing symmetrical are the axle shafts, and that achieves nothing functionally. every car has gears and selectors and ring-gears offset to one side or the other, but in terms of the drive going to the middle of the car first and then doing the torque-split, most all modern AWD vehicles can do that regardless if they are transverse engine or not.

Here's another little known "symmetrical" AWD system though: i2.wp.com...

Search google images for Dana v-drive and vemco v-drives.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Avoid Subaru, they are not very reliable unless you are really good about maintenance. I know several people who've blown headgaskets, it's a known problem.

Ah yes, the infamous "Subaru Squeak". That's pretty much a thing of the past anymore though.

Besides, you couldn't hardly ask for an easier engine to work on than that boxer 4. I mean, an old air cooled VW Beetle might be easier, but not by much.

ETA - I agree on the V-6's though. I avoid them like the plague! I've never known anybody who owned one who didn't have problems with them, and wrenching on them is a major PITA! Given the choice, I'll go for a 4 cylinder every time. That, or a big turbo diesel I-6 or V-8 in a truck. Of course that 6 cylinder Cummins is one hell of a motor. My dream truck would be a Cummins turbo diesel on a Ford Super Duty chassis with the Allison transmission from GM. But, if I was going to go to all that hassle and expense, I'd probably just go with a CAT 3208 diesel!

Haha, we would build the same truck then!! Yea the "Fummins" swaps are getting popular, and of course they make the Allison adapters. 3208 is a whole lotta motor for a 1ton haha, might need a F650 upgrade... whoops

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:58 AM
link   

a reply to: Sublimecraft

I have 20 grand. 23 at most

$20kUS = $25kAU

That link is the absolute top of the range, its 10 years old with less than 65,000kms on the clock, and its a limited edition. 12 months ago - 20K, haven't seen one this good for a very long time.

Be wise, certain vehicles make you cry once when you buy them, this same vehicle makes others cry TWICE because they didn't!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Im just excited Im getting another vehicle

There have been times in my life where this was impossible
edit on 2-3-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Im just excited Im getting another vehicle

There have been times in my life where this was impossible

Awesome experience innit!! Its a motivator in my life, makes me work hard so I can appreciate and enjoy these things.

Good luck on your journey for your next ride mate, I feeling the vibe....

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Side note. One of oldest best friends lives in Australia and have planned a trip when covid has well.... you get it.

But excited about that too!

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:45 AM
link   

I was warned to stay away from the turbo. I am a good boy! I listen!!!

And as I also noted, that was good advice!

Turbo = Bad

That's cool, I personally love a turbo. Personal preference

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Sorry, but every single person I have ever known who owned a Land Rover cursed those things to high-heaven. Total shop queens! Spent more time in the shop than on the road.

Wife wanted a Land Rover, and we did look at one (I should have noted that), but I talked her out of it.

ahhhhh OK fair enough

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Brand new 2020 Mitsubishi Outllander.
The ONLY vehicle I have bought since 2004 .
Own a 2020 now.
Owned a 2017
Owned a 2015 and owned one 2004 - 2014 (may it rest in peace. lady ran a red light and trashed it )over 200,000 miles and never needed work . Ever in 10 years .

20,000 cash will get just about any on the lot.(haggle)

You Too?
Sweet!!

Everyone tried to talk me into a Subaru but despite being good vehicles , they're gas hogs & the ground clearance was lower than the Outlander. The deciding factor for me to even look at the Mitsubishi was that a few First Responders I know own them. For obvious reasons they needed something dependable & low maintenance that could handle bad roads if needed.

It's great value for money, I did haggle.
Same here, it's only needed brakes. Slap some Bosch wipers on it & you're ready for anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join