It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Scottish independence poll is first in 22 to not give Yes a lead

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I remember you arguing that we shouldn't have a second brexit referendum until after we enact the results of the first. Decided by a simple majority.

Why should we have different rules now?

Now in a country with sensible written constitution I would say there should be clear rules about referedums.* however that's just another argument for independence.

* From a purely objective POV I think for constitutional change something like a supermajority(60%) to pass one vote. If it has a simple majority only then a second vote at least 6 months later should be required.

edit on 2-3-2021 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I remember you arguing that we shouldn't have a second brexit referendum until after we enact the results of the first. Decided by a simple majority.

You shouldn't have different rules now, therefore the result of the referendum held in 2014 stands.
Why should there be another referendum now?

Now in a country with sensible written constitution I would say there should be clear rules about referedums.* however that's just another argument for independence.

Or further justification for reform of existing legislation.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   

What makes you think the general consensus is that?

The impression I get from talking to people and reading numerous articles etc.

I have seen that argument made, including by a pro indy poster on here, but that us far from general consensus if it was the general consensus she wouldn't still be the constituency MSP.

I think most independent observers feel she has done a poor job as a constituency MSP.

I suspect there are several reasons why she was re-elected; loyalty to SNP and disillusionment with both Labour and Conservative party's being amongst them.

Elected representatives should get involved in local issues and try to help deliver solutions to real life problems.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

You shouldn't have different rules now, therefore the result of the referendum held in 2014 stands.
Why should there be another referendum now?

Or further justification for reform of existing legislation.

Because we did implement the result of 2014 and didn't leave.

Baring a radical change in circumstances here is little to no hope of serious constitutional reform of the UK.

There isn't even an appetite for it in most of the UK. Referendums on devolution and PR failed miserably in england and neither of the 2 main parties has any real incentive to change the status quo.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

What makes you think the general consensus is that?

The impression I get from talking to people and reading numerous articles etc.

I have seen that argument made, including by a pro indy poster on here, but that us far from general consensus if it was the general consensus she wouldn't still be the constituency MSP.

I think most independent observers feel she has done a poor job as a constituency MSP.

I suspect there are several reasons why she was re-elected; loyalty to SNP and disillusionment with both Labour and Conservative party's being amongst them.

Elected representatives should get involved in local issues and try to help deliver solutions to real life problems.

She got over 61% in 2016 of the vote. Way above the national vote for SNP and increase on the previous election.

I think that is a more reliable indicator than opinion pieces from a media that is generally hostile to independence.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:28 AM
link   
aye check out the BBC and other media ramping up the big divide between salmond and sturgeon and asking her to step down etc regarding the allegations made by Salmond.

Perfect timing as we come closer to the next general election
and of course 22 polls in a row showing independence support

how many tories have broken the law recently and none of them resign , and no media furor over them
tory owned media etc

I hope that scotland still goes it alone so that England can get a decent parliament and no more unelected lords and no more tory control over public wealth.

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

how many tories have broken the law recently and none of them resign , and no media furor over them
tory owned media etc

I'm sorry but that is pure nonsense. Priti Patel breaking the Ministerial code is only comparable thing and even that isn't particularly comparable. Patel was guilty of using in appropriate language - for example, calling them "lazy sods" because they couldn't handle the work load.

That is no way the same as the allegations Sturgeon is facing. And, lets be clear, these aren't simply allegations. Her own legal team told her proceeding was unwise. Ignoring allegations against other SNP members (allies), phony evidence, etc. It looks like both her and her husband committed perjury (under oath). I could go on but it looks extremely murky now for Sturgeon and if she doesn't resign, then she will have no remaining credibility.
edit on 3-3-2021 by Flavian because: spelling

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

matt hancock by not following purchasing procedure and the tories stealing 22 billion and giving it to their pals

boris johnson breaking the law in a limited and specific way over brexit

cambridge analytica and the influencing of the EU brexit vote

jeremy hunt property scandal

windrush scandal amber rudd

and the 2017 #metoo sexual harrassment scandal

sexual harrassment scandal westminster

all under the tories, did theresa get pressured as much to step down?

edit on 3-3-2021 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 06:57 AM
link   
ive been watching the scot gov committee on the harrassment claim handling

sounds like Alex just making up allegations
all of the messages he claims as evidence of conspiracy or whatever he says to get him out of power
would have been looked at by the police and the crown.

given the timing of this all , I find it highly suspect
Scotland on the verge of a big vote on the next election and potential indy ref 2

roll out the scandal and the chance to break up the SNP and sturgeons position as first minister

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

its more a mutiny because the captain and his lackeys are dirty thieves taking more than his share of the plunder

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

matt hancock by not following purchasing procedure and the tories stealing 22 billion and giving it to their pals

boris johnson breaking the law in a limited and specific way over brexit

I'm giving you a star here because i'd forgotten about Matt Hancock and the PPE contracts.....

Completely disagree over the harassment claims though, there is far too much pointing to Sturgeon's involvement for her to claim complete innocence (as she is trying to do). Even her own husband contradicted her under oath before Salmond was exonerated - so she is either whiter than white or she is making stuff up. I know which way i lean there.....

posted on Mar, 3 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   

aye so 22 billion stolen

Nicola accused of conspiracy by a man accused of sexual harassment claims

one deemed in court unlawful , and the other hasnt been taken to court for any wrong doing, she hasnt been charged for anything and wont.

Any evidence of collusion or wrong doing in messages over salmond and his colleagues would have been seen by the police and the crown over the course of his trial.

its allegations nothing more , and the tories still in power after stealing from us and being proven in court unlawful

the only involvement nicola has is with assisting the police with their enquiries
and helping colleagues with this , all the evidence is there , and has been looked at by the police and the crown already

posted on Mar, 4 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Nicole Sturgeon spent 8 hours giving evidence to the committee yerterday

tony blair spent 6 hours giving evidence over the iraq war enquiry

posted on Mar, 4 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just checking, did Mel Gibson free Scotland yet?

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Just checking, did Mel Gibson free Scotland yet?

He got sidetracked freeing you guys.

m.imdb.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

m.imdb.com...

I wish he could do something about the price of guzzolene.

edit on 5-3-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   

m.imdb.com...

I wish he could do something about the price of guzzolene.

I think Humungus has cornered the market.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Well, thank God for Mel and his ability to freedom people up, it means we don't need another hero.

posted on Mar, 5 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Well, thank God for Mel and his ability to freedom people up, it means we don't need another hero.

Or he just really hates the English*

*Along with Jewish and gay people**

**Allegedly

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join