It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m taking it all in. This is the first 360º view of my home using Mastcam-Z.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Percy has sent its first Hi Def images from its new home in Jezero Crater and NASA have created This interactive 360° panorama so we can take a closer look.

NASA take a closer look at the picture and show some points of interest including the newly discovered 'Harbor Seal' rock.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This is really awesome... there was a guided video tour of this panorama earlier this week, where the Mastcam engineers mentioned that this scenery, although fascinating and seemingly "hi-res", is only the lowest resolution of Mastcam-Z (as mentioned in your second clip).

That means that, within this stichted panorama, they'll be able to zoom in on sections of interest and get pristine shots of that with even higher quality (sort of as an overlay). All that right from where the rover is standing now, they don't even have to drive there anymore.

So I think we'll be getting a lot more interesting imagery than we already got from Curiosity at Gale Crater. And tons of it, since there are more orbiters around Mars today that can help relay all that data back to Earth.

edit on 27-2-2021 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Extremely cool technology and can't wait to see what else comes from their quests.

One caveat is that I was hoping for better resolution... but that also could be due to the YouTube Compression Algorithm when it re-renders everyone's source/original material.

Still, just amazing that it's there.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Still, just amazing that it's there.

Can't argue with that Johnny NASA just keep on delivering when it comes to Mars , amazing.

In the first couple of days they already delivered on my biggest want which was audio from another World and now we have the prospect of the Mars helicopter which will be a big fat cherry on top if they can successfully deploy and fly it.

This could be the best Mars mission yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Awesome post subject and thanks for that.

Well... since this site does have it's roots with crackpots (whom are absolutely integral to human advancement), I have to point out that the very first zoom towards the crater produced a 90 degree angle filled "blocky mound" that if I saw in the surrounding desert, here, would make me think it was an old, weathering construction.

So, sorry to inject weird into the veins of serious awe at our incredible achievements; and don't want to nurture wild, deluded whimsy, but ... I wonder how it would be handled should they crest a hill and video sprawling, unmistakable ruins?

Last point would be wouldn't it be nifty if they actually sent rovers to places like Cydonia, Inca ruins or the fractaling structures that strongly conjure images of earthly banyan trees?

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

or the fractaling structures that strongly conjure images of earthly banyan trees?

That would be my go to destination , if they are as theory suggest geysers on Mars what a site that would be to image and explore , if they're something else ... even better.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   
For anyone interested Here is a link to the full resolution picture , jpeg file is 51.8 MB and the tiff is 610 MB.... tiff for me , I'm going in.

Dear NASA , I'd like a closer look at this...

And this...

And perhaps this , if it's not an optical illusion.

Thanks in advance.

edit on 27-2-2021 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Pareidolia powers... ACTIVATE!

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Majic

The second and third one probably but I dunno , that mound is interesting.... almost Cairn like.
edit on 27-2-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Percy has sent its first Hi Def images from its new home in Jezero Crater and NASA have created

To be known as, 'Percy's progress' from now on!

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Whatever happened to the one member here who combed through just about every Mars photo NASA had looking for evidence of extraterrestrial life or unnatural structures? Seriously, that person was made fun of a lot but not given the credit he deserved for being so driven towards his passionate search for the unknown. As far as I know, it was just rocks in every mysterious find he came across, but he didn’t deserve the ridicule he would get for his efforts.

Whoever/wherever you are, I hope Perseverance gives you new opportunities to look into the unknown!

edit on 27-2-2021 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I agree. I'd say any pile of sand taller than a foot are worth at least poking at.

Im happy to see some new content from a different region on the planet. Maybe it'll give us some more cool rocks to argue over.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
this mouse has started double clicking.

edit on 2/27/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

I mean....if you don't get a headache from the pixelized zooms and heavy jpeg artifact.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
alright, i give up
edit on 2/27/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
For anyone interested Here is a link to the full resolution picture , jpeg file is 51.8 MB and the tiff is 610 MB.... tiff for me , I'm going in.

Dear NASA , I'd like a closer look at this...

Deltas are dynamic depositional environments, and the sedimentary deposits they produce are constantly re-worked as channels migrate and re-form. This is likely just to be a mound carved as water flowed around it.

And this...

um...rocks?

And perhaps this , if it's not an optical illusion.

Thanks in advance.

This one I think is an optical illusion - the upper part of the the apparent formation a large rock further back than the smaller rock in front.

It'll be interesting to see what criteria they use to select their targets for exploration. The aim is to look for biosignatures of some sort, so they'll head for the most likely targets. When sediment is transported into a body of water the first particles to get dumped from the liquid carrying it are the heavier particles - sand and gravel, bigger boulders. That kind of stuff isn't the best kind of growth medium. The last material to be deposited is going to be the really fine material in the shallows further into the water body, and that is more likely to allow life to grow in it because there's a greater surface area for minerals to be made available.

Geologically/geomorphologically, the more interesting stuff is in finding some sort of stratigraphy that shows the change from coarser material deposited in deeper water through to finer material nearer the surface. From a biological point of view that might not be where they head as they already know that there's a water based history and much of that stratigraphy may not hold much of interest to the mission. As they're some distance from the inlet to the crater, they may already be sat on what they're looking for!
edit on 27/2/2021 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   
You, sir, are a dullard and a bore.

The first is clearly a giant termite mound.

The second is a tortoise shell - although why it is hiding beneath carefully stacked rocks I don’t know.

The third is clearly a genie exiting its lamp.

Please do not belittle us with talk of rocks when the truth is clear. a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

edit on 27-2-2021 by ARM1968 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2021 by ARM1968 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r

This is really awesome... there was a guided video tour of this panorama earlier this week, where the Mastcam engineers mentioned that this scenery, although fascinating and seemingly "hi-res", is only the lowest resolution of Mastcam-Z (as mentioned in your second clip).

That means that, within this stichted panorama, they'll be able to zoom in on sections of interest and get pristine shots of that with even higher quality (sort of as an overlay). All that right from where the rover is standing now, they don't even have to drive there anymore.

So I think we'll be getting a lot more interesting imagery than we already got from Curiosity at Gale Crater. And tons of it, since there are more orbiters around Mars today that can help relay all that data back to Earth.

It doesn't matter how good the resolution is. Chowderheads are going to zoom and zoom until the image is blurry and/or pixellated, then complain about NASA sending crappy cameras to Mars and bleating "What are they hiding?"

Ingrates.

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Could this be a reflection of light?

postimg.cc...

postimg.cc...
edit on 28-2-2021 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2021 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fisherr
Could this be a reflection of light?

postimg.cc...
postimg.cc...

Definitely yes...

Source: Image 1 | Image 2

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join