It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army decides to do away with shark attack in basic training

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

Yes i think it teaches you how to handle stress. When you first get there it all seems overwhelming however as you near the end everything becomes easier. For example getting smoked by a drill seargeant after 5 weeks it doesnt even effect you anymore and thats about the time it stops being used minus the ocasional screw up. But i think part of that is well is the dropouts are gone by then.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Yeah they have both sides, great teachers. The threat of getting dephased or carrying around a mop/broom was always there instead of a guide-on.

Retention is an issue, I’m an E-6, no desire to be a 7 and I will probably direct commission after my masters. We have so many leaders that have no school aside from military schools and that is all the organization focuses on. Checking the box, military school and PT. It creates a problem because many are not qualified for their positions. Then problems and lower enlisted just don’t care.

It’s turning into such an odd environment and discipline is out the window. I used to love it but the only way to describe it is that it’s turning into a grind or a chore rather than something you enjoy and show pride in.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Shark attack or not if they canny run 100 meters, they are probobly in the wrong place.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   
They should just have hundreds of millions of R. Lee Ermey clones so they can yell insults at everyone to toughen them up.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hahaha
I see we on par with Chinas army now with moistery.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They should just have hundreds of millions of R. Lee Ermey clones so they can yell insults at everyone to toughen them up.

stomach punches for jokers

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

And choking yourself for people who can't wipe that stupid grin off their faces.

You'll all man up in no time...

edit on 25-2-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Lysergic

And choking yourself for people who can't wipe that stupid grin off their faces.

You'll all man up in now time...

The toilet is probably the best place to plot revenge.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
That's exactly why the old style was so important in my opinion. You're now a rock solid Doc because of it. I'm sorry you had to go through that with your son but your training and experience are what enabled you to handle the situation with as clear a head as possible.

a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
The shark attack is essential training and can weed out weak recruits right then and there.

It sucks. Embrace the suck.

YUP!!!
Didn't know my Drill's behavior had a name. We just thought being a prick was a talent. Obviously they got stuck with us cause they'd pissed off everyone in their regular unit.

The first part was the big amnesty thing on Ft Jackson.
Best performance went to Idiot-Chick who sauntered up to a Drill & said...
"Hey Smokey, got a light?"
She waited expecting him to pull out a Bic .

Those of us in earshot took off, tripping over each to GTFO!!! Before the Drill could tag us as knowing her.
The results were predictable.
one
one
one
one
one
Crying, whining, threats to have her family lawyer sue.

The military training was SUPPOSED to break you down to be taught the army way.
It was like Outward Bound for poor kids.
We also joked about this being the worst summer camp ever!!

Back in the olden days Drill's had no problems with KOing your butt. Literally.
Backtalk = knuckle sandwich.
unending, unusual punishments were the norm.

It could also be fun. Drill wakes you up at 2am to fall out?
Us ladies did....naked & at parade rest.
Drills were unprepared. Their faces were priceless.

Drill decides we're going to have an inspection?
Us ladies used enough PineSol & ammonia the barracks could qualify for a SuperFund Site.
Drills again not prepared. Much gagging & yelling. They teared up so bad no way could they tell if we'd actually
cleaned or not.

Don't remember what specific punishments/physical torture we got for those little fiasco's but it was worth it!!!
Oh yeah....who doesn't miss those 1940's -1960's C-Rations???
OD green cans & no can opener. More than one of us tried bashing them with a rock to open.
P-38's aren't pocket knives for the handicapped?

We were all 18yrs old & dumb as a sack of rocks. BTW girl's had no issues with "Blanket Parties" for those allergic to soap & water, didn't know when to shut up thought falling out was a suggestion.

Wouldn't have missed it. If you survived it was a badge of honor.

edit on 25-2-2021 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Im surprised the drill seargeants head didnt explode. She just sounds like a special snowflake. And you definatley wouldnt want to fall in naked with me my solution would have been Individual movement techniques through mud, Since we dont have to worry about getting your clothes dirty. Nothing like low crawl training and a water hose lol
edit on 2/25/21 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
because any American with a shred of decency will not kill a fellow American, ...

whatever.

an enemy is an enemy, no matter their birth.

You're the kind of person I'm worried about.

Psychopathic much?

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I did basic, ait and jump school at Benning in 1980 and then went back for RIP. I did all this in boots. I thought the Army went soft when trainees started doing PT in sneakers and shorty, shorts lol. Oh my, what happened to my Army. 🤣

posted on Feb, 26 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: vance
I did basic, ait and jump school at Benning in 1980 and then went back for RIP. I did all this in boots. I thought the Army went soft when trainees started doing PT in sneakers and shorty, shorts lol. Oh my, what happened to my Army. 🤣

I think the big issue is to weed out the ones that will never be effective soldiers. By the time you trian house and feed a soldier you will spend 100s of thousands on that soldier. Its a major investment for the military and not everyone can do it. Well now they can I guess he problem is they will die in combat. I can give you examples were stupidity almost killed a new recruit. Its important they learn quickly to follow the orders of their NCO hes the only thing keeping you alive. But now they wont even have that coming out of basic since they never built that bond with their drill seargeants.

Like when you first get to basic you hate your drill but by the end your thanking them for all they did for you. You learn to trust them which is important for your survival in combat.

posted on Feb, 26 2021 @ 06:21 PM
link   
All true.

posted on Feb, 26 2021 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was 5' 10" and weighed 135 when I joined. I joined at a late age 28.

Because I was so skinny and out of shape...I got sent to the Banana Farm at Ft Jackson. 6 weeks later I was 160 and a lot better shape and then went to basic. I will never forget all the Drill's screaming about how easy we had it because now there brick barracks with 4 man rooms.....we drove right past them to right smack dab in the middle of Tank Hill...WW2 2 story wooden barracks with 30 on each floor. Had some crazy crap happen in basic...but I left basic at 180 pounds of pure muscle.

We had one dude who "tried" to commit suicide by sticking his head in the toilet and plugging the hole and then flushing it. Private Tidy Bowl was on the top bunk with me in the bottom bunk for a while til he jumped out a second story window and broke his leg..He got booted after that.

Man that brings back a lot of memories.
edit on 26-2-2021 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 12:11 AM
link   
With seemingly every kid nowadays diagnosed with some sort of emotional condition or landing on some sort of "spectrum", I truly fear for our country's ability to field a standing military force in 20 years.
Unless, of course, all combat is done using Playstation and XBox controllers. Then it's GAME ON!

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Funny people dont know this but you can leave basic training if you decide you want to. So he took a drastic step when all he had to do is talk to a drill instructor. Army command can let you go without penalty during your first 180 days of service. The official term for this is entry-level separation. Though you cant ask to leave you can tell them why you believe you cant do basic training. The regulations covering separation are broadly written – an "inability to adapt" covers a lot of issues. Most instructors are not going to have a problem releasing you because they probab;y know you cant do it also.

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Well its already starting that may be the combat of the future drones are taking on more and more capabilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join