It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Bankrolling Educational Org That Says Math is Racist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yes, certain communities need to understand they fail themselves as much as the system fails them. Both need to be fixed.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The problem is the blacks and latinos under perform as a group academically. We need to address and solve the problem. Instead of critically looking at the problem and admitting that it is likely a result of cultural and social norms that do not emphasize academic achievement along with broken homes, progressives immediately jump to victimization narratives that there is some systematic issue at play.

Progressives cannot accept that some cultures and social norms are quite frankly inferior or superior in many ways. So instead of trying to address these cultural and social norms, they try to change the answers on the test so to speak to give the outcome they are looking for.

I'd like to add, it is not just a skin color thing as many blacks from African nations are quite gifted at math.

Exactly, so we know it isn't "systematic racism". Black kids from the Caribbean and west Africa out perform whites in most cases. If you look at black kids at the very top universities, most are from West Indian and African homes. Nigerians are widely considered the one of, if not the most successful immigrant groups. IIRC, the hold more graduate level degrees than any other immigrant group.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Black people aren't as smart as white people

That’s not only the belief of bill gates and the celebrated racist Joe Biden, it’s also the belief of 100% of their supporters

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

If all our priorities were in a row, you'd see widespread unrest in the inner cities because kids are not in school right now. Parents would be outraged that their children are still stuck on distance learning when many small school districts, private schools, and suburban districts have gotten at least the elementary back full-time and upper grades back hybrid as parents choose.

Those teachers out of work right now wouldn't be focused on addressing racism. They'd be focused on addressing the learning deficits this enforced time out of class is creating.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

All this is is a tacit admission that they don't know how to improve math scores, and it's much easier to simply lower standards to pretend they succeeded.

I think, rather, it's a tacit admission that some educators don't how to reach, and have abandoned, certain kinds of students that don't fit into their academic box.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

decries racist behaviors such as the “focus” on “getting the ‘right’ answer,” requiring students to “show their work,” and “independent practice” being valued over teamwork or collaboration.

Literally from the article. But I suppose language is subjective and open to interpretation and words have no meaning...
edit on 19/2/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It is.

We've gone from teaching math as process, not focus on answer, which was Common Core. If you recall, kids could get the right answer but fail to show process and be penalized with no points, but if they got the wrong answer and showed process, they got at least some points. We've gone from that to now there is no objective right answer, and we don't have to show process because all of that is racist.

So little Johnny can sit there and chirp out random nonsense with zero rationale for it, and get credit. That's how the language paints it.

That's lowering the standards so everyone, even the kid who only knows one word, can pass.

edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

You are quoting Mike Lee's personal review, his opinion and summation of a large body of work.

For example, his opinion that it "decries racist behaviors such as the “focus” on “getting the ‘right’ answer,” is his opinion of these suggestions.

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...The focus is on getting the “right” answer.

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.

Instead...
Choose problems that have complex, competing, or multiple answers.
• Verbal Example: Come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem.

• Classroom Activity: Challenge standardized test questions by getting the “right” answer, but justify other answers by unpacking the assumptions that are made in the problem.

And

Engage with true problem solving.
• Verbal Example: What are some strategies we can use to engage with this problem?

• Classroom Activity: Using a set of data, analyze it in multiple ways to draw different conclusions.

• Professional Development: Study the art of problem solving by engaging in rich, complex mathematical problems. Consider whether your own content knowledge is sufficient to allow you to problem solve through math without the strategies you typically use.

equitablemath.org...

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Mrs. Jones has 2 oranges, and she picks 2 more. How many oranges does she have now?

No. None of her oranges is a quark.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The thing that frustrates me is that this isn't rocket science. It is clear as day as to why black / latino kids under perform as a group.

Any solutions need to address:

1) Broken families. 70%+ of black kids are raised in single parent households
2) School Choice. Public school system traps black kids in low performing neighborhood schools. Ironically, THIS IS SYSTEMATIC racism...
3) Change the culture. Too much focus on entertainment and sports. It isn't cool to be academically smart. Need exposure to more professionals and trades. Too much emphasis on fast money success and not careers.

We need more Joe Clarks (RIP).

The second was epic when he told the parents to get their act together

edit on 19-2-2021 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   

That de-emphasis on education and being smart isn't just a minority thing. Making fun of geeks and nerds is an American thing even though it's the geeks and nerds who made the country the powerhouse it was.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Literally from your own posted quote

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...The focus is on getting the “right” answer.

Instead...
Choose problems that have complex, competing, or multiple answers.
• Verbal Example: Come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem.

No....that's literally retarded.

Actually, all of what you posted is.

Over my years in school, I had one good math teacher, probably the best teacher I ever for any subject. She was a literal rocket scientist.

The way she taught math was awesome, people in my class who'd struggled with math all their lives did well in her class.

She didn't teach us wishy washy bull# about no right answers and crap. She taught us how to solve problems properly and work towards the correct solution.

Each class started with an hour lecture where the concept was explained and visually worked through using practical examples. We were encouraged to participate and come to solutions before they were given. We then had an hour where we'd work through a sheet of practically applied problems for whatever subject we'd learned that day.

We could work alone, work together whatever we wanted. Any questions we had would be thoroughly answered. She'd hold tutoring sessions for anyone that needed extra help.

Because people that struggle with math come in all colours the solution to people struggling with math isn't just to change math so correct solution. don't matter any more.

Let's use a real world example, you're putting in a culvert under a road to divert water. You need to decide on the diameter of the culvert based on the average flow of water while taking into account maximum yearly discharge during flooding events.

So you've got your data, you do your calculations. You put your culvert in, if you're wrong, you say, you pick too small of a diameter, you've got yourself a road washout, pick too big and you waste thousands of dollars.

Professional Development: Study the art of problem solving by engaging in rich, complex mathematical problems. Consider whether your own content knowledge is sufficient to allow you to problem solve through math without the strategies you typically use.

Using my above example to explain why this is utterly ridiculous. There's correct ways to calculate water pressure through a cylinder, there's correct ways to calculate a diameter, there's correct ways to calculate velocity and flow.

You can't just decide 'oh that's too hard i'll just do.it whatever way feels best.'

It doesn't work that way. You won't keep any job very long...

Man I could just go on too.

I would have loved to hear what my old boss said to me if I told him the geometry.needed to program the CNC machines was too hard so I just winged it and calculated the piece.sizes.and toolpaths in whatever way I wanted...

That probably would have been after the machine crashed causing who knows how much damage.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Huh.

If math and science (like comp sci, Billy) are racist, then what does that make Gates? I mean, come on, he didn't get where he is by not knowing math, and getting free passes.

Actually, he did get free passes. MSDOS which was sold to IBM on a flip, came out of two guys in Berkely, who little Billie paid with $150,000 of Daddies money. From which on the flip, he retained IP rights and scored 2 million dollars from IBM. Riding on royalties he amassed quite the fortune. Has little Billy had to know math? No. He doesn't code and he doesn't balance a check book, he pays other people to do that for him. That way he can constantly look in the mirror and wallow in his narcissism, megalomania and malignant sociopathology (basically psychopathology).

Cheers - Dave
edit on 2/19.2021 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Mrs. Jones has 2 oranges, and she picks 2 more. How many oranges does she have now?

What's the answer?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Good math teachers are worth their weight in gold. Some subjects are really easy when you have a great teacher but can be horrific if the teacher isn't good.

I had a phenomenal math teacher in high school. Made geometry and trig easy imho. I also had a great calculus teacher in college. I then had a really bad Calc II teacher and he literally made me hate math...

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Thanks for stating your own opinion.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Yes, giving two concrete, real world examples of mathematical applications that cannot just be made up based on feelings is my opinion....

I dunno, maybe you should try just playing around with some gravity equations and attempt to fly. Math's just made up right? It's all subjective and open to interpretation.

You should be able to just put whatever numbers you want in to prove gravity doesn't exist and it should work right?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Doesn't matter whether or not you use PEMDAS or BODMAS, the basic math facts are still what they are. In other words, arranging the operations in one order or the other through use or lack thereof of parenthesis and/or brackets, doesn't change that 2+2 is still 4 every time you do that math.

Again, all you're arguing is the more abstract order the facts should be done in.

8/2(2+2) is an ambiguous equation because of the bracketing. It depends on what school of math you go to in order that you do operations.

You might do 8/2, 2+2, then multiple together those two results for 4x4. Regardless, that answer will always be 16.

Or you might go with other school of operations:

2+2, then 2x4, then 8/8. Regardless, that answer will always be 1.

Notice no matter which way you regard the order of operations, the basic math facts are always going to have the same answers, and 2+2 is always 4. If it's allowed to be anything else, nothing works.

edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

originally posted by: ketsuko

What's the answer?

I only know of one way to do it. Add the parenthesis first... you get 4. then 2*4=8. So 8 / 8 = 1.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join