It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Bankrolling Educational Org That Says Math is Racist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

So, you're saying that a computer may see certain numbers as commands, not an objective reality of its beingness?

edit on 19-2-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

At this point, does he need to?

I think it would help that a child understand that "10" is the conveniently chosen size of a basket to collect apples, rather than believing that base 10 is objective reality. That, some people may collect more or less apples in larger or smaller baskets and still call it "1" unit.

Why do Americans have such a hard time adjusting to the metric system? Could it be cultural bias?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Yes systems of representing numbers are objective, the fundamentals of the operations that can be done on them are not.

You're conflating our systems of abstraction with fundamentals. Our abstractions are based on fundamental principles of the universe observed over thousands of years. Our abstractions are built on those things.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Strange comparison.

Why would base10 branch out at 10? It doesn't.

When you arrive at 11,all you do is start a new cycle in the first decimal. You don't understand base10/our basic math very good. Base10 = ten different numbers and them it repeats. That is why it's called base10. Basis is ten.

This is even shows a connection to nature. The mimosa plant can actually count. The venus fly trap too. If the (variable) base end is hit, it's reset to the first number and the decimal place added is the trigger mechanism. Venus fly trap even uses binary logic in its sensor hairs. At least two need to be active, that's a binary&.

But please, entertain us some more with unlogic claims.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Husband is thinking about ordering us lunch. He wants to know if the specific numbers used and their order matter since this math stuff is now subjective and all.

He would also like to know if he starts out at 10mph and increases his speed another 10 mph will be end up speeding at 60mph or is he still safe under the 45mph speed limit?

And when he gets the food, is he giving them exact change with 2 quarters or will they be accepting of 2 pennies. After all 2 is 2 and the value is subjective, right?

Oh and if he wants to get there on time so the food is not cold, should he leave now, about 10 minutes from now, or in about 4 hours? It's all relative right?
edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Yes systems of representing numbers are objective, the fundamentals of the operations that can be done on them are not.

No. They're subjective. Pure mathematics doesn't need representation. People do, to translate and understand the abstract concepts that mathematics reveals.

People need mathematic translation tools, for example, to analyze the wave length of a star's light spectrum to determine what elements compose said star.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

No. They're subjective. Pure mathematics doesn't need representation. People do, to translate and understand the abstract concepts that mathematics reveals.

People need mathematic translation tools, for example, to analyze the wave length of a star's light spectrum to determine what elements compose said star.

You know what? Language is abstract too. Each word represents an image picture in your brain ... and mine, well in everyone who reads it actually or hears it.

None of us have the same picture.

But when you type 2. I'll bet we all have the same thing sitting up there.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
just give the food deliveree a random amount of kitchen paper sheets, since numbers don't really make sense, let's make 5 an even one.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   

So how would you recommend going about teaching math in a totally understandable, completely objective non-racist way that does not rely on those pesky racist subjective abstractions?
edit on 19/2/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sookie got it all figured out guys, relax, they are an expert in any field.

Hopefully they give Sooks a call and ask how to run the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
just give the food deliveree a random amount of kitchen paper sheets, since numbers don't really make sense, let's make 5 an even one.

He wants to know, and I quote:

5 towels? But if the owl sleeps the vitamin, then how Jayne are the scissors?

I mean if math is subjective, then everything is.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

So how would you recommend going about teaching math in a totally understandable, completely objective non-racist way that does not rely on those pesky racist subjective abstractions?

I don't have an answer to that.

I'm just arguing that Bill Gates isn't saying that "math" in racist. That he's proposing that we be open to alternative methods of teaching, because he believes our methods have been, at the very least, somewhat culturally stifling, That we need to cultivate more students toward S.T.E.M. studies by removing some of, what he perceives to be, a systemic intimidation toward those that don't follow the status quo of academia.

I think he kinda has a point.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Let's back up and ask you if you are aware that most of the foundation concepts of basic math are from non-white cultures.

It's not like every single thing in math was created/discovered by whites. In fact, a lot of it wasn't. It's about as multi-cultural a discipline as you could want.

All this is is a tacit admission that they don't know how to improve math scores, and it's much easier to simply lower standards to pretend they succeeded.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I often tell him that while it's fun to fantasize about breaking the rules of the universe which is what magic is all about, God set them therefor very good reason,

Pretty hard justifying "render unto Caesar" to your child in light of the thieves in Government.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   

His perceptions are flawed, in every possible fashion. There is no cultural stifling when it comes to S.T.E.M., unless it's imposed by that culture itself. I work with people from all walks of life who managed just fine, people from countries all over the world that are predominately not ethnically Caucasian, and yet every single one of them understands that arriving at the right answer is the objective of everything we do. It's not a subjective right answer like philosophy, where opinions can differ and those differences have meaning.

You're going to try and say that every minority in this country that has been successful in a S.T.E.M. field has been doing it wrong this entire time? That they've been oppressed into doing it? Give me a break, you're arguing just for the sake of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have no problem with trying to understand different ways of learning.

What is actually going on here is that this is an attempt to solve a problem they know exists without actually addressing the root causes of said problem because doing so would be counter to the liberal narrative.

The problem is the blacks and latinos under perform as a group academically. We need to address and solve the problem. Instead of critically looking at the problem and admitting that it is likely a result of cultural and social norms that do not emphasize academic achievement along with broken homes, progressives immediately jump to victimization narratives that there is some systematic issue at play.

Progressives cannot accept that some cultures and social norms are quite frankly inferior or superior in many ways. So instead of trying to address these cultural and social norms, they try to change the answers on the test so to speak to give the outcome they are looking for.

I live in a super liberal community with excellent schools. The school system is always trying to address the achievement gap between black and white students. They come up with all kinds of solutions with fancy names... throwing around equity, restorative justice, systematic racism, etc... yet they never once actually just step back and ask what are high performing white families doing that poor performing black families aren't?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

originally posted by: dug88

I don't have an answer to that.

I'm just arguing that Bill Gates isn't saying that "math" in racist. That he's proposing that we be open to alternative methods of teaching, because he believes our methods have been, at the very least, somewhat culturally stifling, That we need to cultivate more students toward S.T.E.M. studies by removing some of, what he perceives to be, a systemic intimidation toward those that don't follow the status quo of academia.

I think he kinda has a point.

It isn't that the teaching is culturally stifling... the culture of the students stifles them from learning.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The problem is the blacks and latinos under perform as a group academically. We need to address and solve the problem. Instead of critically looking at the problem and admitting that it is likely a result of cultural and social norms that do not emphasize academic achievement along with broken homes, progressives immediately jump to victimization narratives that there is some systematic issue at play.

Progressives cannot accept that some cultures and social norms are quite frankly inferior or superior in many ways. So instead of trying to address these cultural and social norms, they try to change the answers on the test so to speak to give the outcome they are looking for.

I'd like to add, it is not just a skin color thing as many blacks from African nations are quite gifted at math.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The most educated and top earning demographic in the US for a while was immigrants from Nigeria.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join