It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Bankrolling Educational Org That Says Math is Racist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

In essence, you believe math is a lie.

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false

Please explain to me in what world, in what culture, you put two somethings in with two of the same something and do not get four of those things.

**EDIT**

And don't say quarks. Please explain to me outside of advanced physics labs, which ancient cultures knew dick about quarks.

edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You pretend to understand and dismiss the issue, but it is completely outside of your intellectual grasp.

Math, as you know it is not objective. Base Ten is a construct, for example, we choose to agree with. It isn't objective reality and does not work in certain settings.

edit on 19-2-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
If it looks weird, sounds weird, tastes weird, then it’s just plain simple weird.

He hits 2 out of 3 straight off the bat. The other one? Well I’ve yet to meet him, so unable to provide an answer on that....yet.

Well, I don't know what he tastes like, but I do know what his tastes are, at least what he drinks. He once came to a meeting at my workplace, all he drank was Coke. It was asked for specifically when the meeting was organised. I can't remember how many cans he drank, but it was a lot. Wait, I think he had two, then two more, so that makes 5 cans in total.

edit on 19-2-2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Perhaps there is a deeper explanation for what this all means. Anyone study mathematics who might understand what the article means by not focusing on objective awnsers?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Perhaps there is a deeper explanation for what this all means. Anyone study mathematics who might understand what the article means by not focusing on objective awnsers?

Download the links, read it for yourself.
equitablemath.org...

edit on 19-2-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Just because we can choose to write and represent numbers in different ways means nothing

0x0F
0b1111

Are all the same value under different representations. It doesn't matter how we write them. The value for those is all 15. The meaning doesn't change just because the representation does.
edit on 19/2/2021 by dug88 because: Rusty on my hexadecimal

edit on 19/2/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Precisely.

It doesn't matter how you write the number, the concept is the same one.

We could be using Roman numerals and the concepts would still apply.

2+2 = IV
edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

How you make mathematics work in the physical world does. A computer doesn't care about the value of 16. It cares about the process of moving data streams, which may or may not include the number 16. The billing department cares about the number 16.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

How you make mathematics work in the physical world does. A computer doesn't care about the value of 16. It cares about the process of moving data streams, which may or may not include the number 16.

FFS!!!!!!!!!!

A computer uses frickin' binary are the same freakin' numbers represented in strings of 1 and 0, and these are elementary kids. They don't have to know all the different base systems or Roman numerals or anything else like that, yet.

Our 4th grader is into fractions. Those are challenge enough.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Precisely.

It doesn't matter how you write the number, the concept is the same one.

We could be using Roman numerals and the concepts would still apply.

2+2 = IV

There is no zero in Roman mathematics.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Does a fourth grader understand that base 10 isn't a real or a natural measurement? That cell division doesn't care about carrying numbers?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Math doesn't care how stupid you want to be about this.

Nobody is claiming that numbers aren't real, or that mathematical concepts are not solid. But to deny the abstract nature of creating and solving complex problems through the use of abstract mathematic equations is sheer ignorance.

This isn't about the reality of real numbers and simple addition, subtraction and division, it's about how mathematical concepts are presented and taught.

but the concept of 2 combine with the concept of 2 to create the concept of 4. It is universal and always works that way.

Tell that to a quark.

So they are teaching kids in middle school higher level physics in math class?

I'd be worried about them knowing how to balance a budget.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

What Gates is bank rolling is extortion.

First you seed the problem...in this case "racism in maths teaching"

Then you offer the solution, a course in "how to combat racism in the teaching of maths"

Then you stop employing anyone who hasn't done the course, because the only way to prove you're not a racist is to have a bit of paper to prove you know how to combat racism.

You charge $100 a go, go to the top of the class, and get a Google award for Innovation.

Smart.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

A computer doesn't care about the value of 16. It cares about the process of moving data streams, which may or may not include the number 16.

Why yes....your computer actually does care about the value 16.

www.mathemainzel.info...

If you're running an 80x86 CPU reading a 16 would tell the CPU to set a bit and test it, the bits would be given by the next set of numbers.

Likewise, say it reads a 59, it would tell the CPU to jump to the memory address given by the next set of numbers and read the numbers from that location to tell it what to do.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   

The assumption that cell division doesn't follow the base10 pattern somehow invalidates base10 is shockingly dumb.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

The assumption that cell division doesn't follow the base10 pattern somehow invalidates base10 is shockingly dumb.

There is no invalidation of base 10, any more than there is invalidation of Spanish or Chinese languages. There are only different ways of expressing reality.

An apple tree doesn't grow a new branch when one branch exceeds 10 apples. Its nature has no use for base 10 mathematics.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Sounds like a non racist format of math.

Let's try it. I got cheese to mine.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

So, what operations can you do on numbers in bases other than 10 that cannot be done in base 10? How does changing the base fundamentally change the way numbers are worked with?

As far as I know, you can add, multiply, divide and subtract numbers in any base, all other operations can be derived from those. What can you do in other bases that is impossible under decimal?

link   
It sounds like you're struggling here.

But I mean, if math is racist, we launched a pretty racist probe quite a few years back that we may wanna return before any signs of life read it...

link   

Does a fourth grader understand that base 10 isn't a real or a natural measurement? That cell division doesn't care about carrying numbers?

At this point, does he need to?

Those are concepts that come later after the foundations are built.

Funny, but in all higher level math, those foundations are still there and still solid. You still need to understand that 2 + 2 = 4, even in calculus. You still need to understand the ideas of borrowing and carrying, even when you're into integrals. And all the basic nuts and bolts of working with fractions? They never, ever go away.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join