It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Bankrolling Educational Org That Says Math is Racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
So, tldr

Universal methods are racist, because students can't imagine x being any number they need to make a formula correct.

X can be anything, like gender. I don't see what the issue is.

Edit: have you thought about the damages, rewriting math would cause on simple codes in programs you use daily?

Have you thought about the amount of damages that'd occur from changing years of the same standard used for writing codes?

Edit2: Its like demanding a city to change its name, because its offensive to a few.

Are you going to put in the man hours to make sure every single resident, with all their bills and benefits, have their addresses changed for an undisturbed distribution?
edit on 2/19/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   

So because of advanced physics, elementary students do not need to be taught basic math facts as concrete and objective? After all, most of those students are never going to go on to deal with quarks, but every single one of them will need to eventually balance a check book. So when one of them makes a simple addition/subtraction error and massively overdraws a bank account, the bank should forgive them because ... quarks?

edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nivhk
The only way I could see racism, is because of reading comprehension and variables.

As someone mentioned from The Big Bang Theory.

(2n)-2=6

A black student may see that and think of the n word instead of a variable.

Maybe they should work on improving other fronts of education, instead of driving every standard down.

Are we seriously at the point that individual letters are offending people?
Do people expect society to abandon a letter because .0001% of the population finds it offensive?
What if I find the letter G scary, should I expect every business in my area to remove it from their names because seeing it on their sign makes me feel kinda sad for half a second?

There is no virtue in victimhood.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

have you thought about the damages, rewriting math would cause on simple codes in programs you use daily?

It's not about rewriting math. It's about allowing students to express different ways of finding an answer. If the answer is correct, what do you care how the student arrived at the answer, as long as they didn't get it off their classmates paper?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776
I'm honestly not sure.

News speak isn't exactly forthcoming in their agendas, but as I said, it's the only way I could see racism. Which would then be, reading comprehension and personal view points, then a systematic racism problem.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I agree to a point, I had that issue in school with showing work.

But if you try to input x=36 if x=36 then initiate program 47, but if the programmer doesn't put in how to get x, kind of makes the string useless, right?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

It's like they trie to engineer our kids into dummies. Of course it's easier to cheat us if we can't do math.

The old, take 20€ to the side, give me 20 and I give you 10 back you now have 30 and I have 10€, we both win.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain
That Damn Duck, she explained it better.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

So I actually downloaded "Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction"
From your link
It's too bad they are using the racism hook for children that can't do math.
There are aspects I actually agree on like:

equitablemath.org...

A hyperfocus on standards
requires teachers to function under a system of urgency to “cover” all the material that will be on the test and not
focus on actual learning

Unfortunately so much is pure bull dung!

White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when...
Students are required to “show their work.”
Instead...
Math teachers ask students to show work so that teachers know what students are thinking, but that centers the
teacher’s need to understand rather than student learning. It becomes a crutch for teachers seeking to understand
what students are thinking and less of a tool for students in learning how to process. Thus, requiring students to
show their work reinforces worship of the written word as well as paternalism.

or

The focus is on getting the “right” answer.
Instead...
The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.

or

Independent practice is valued over teamwork or collaboration.
Instead...
While there is some value in students being able to complete work independently, when this is the only or most
common avenue for learning or practicing, it reinforces individualism and the notion that I’m the only one. This does
not give value to collectivism and community understanding, and fosters conditions for competition and individual
success, which perpetuates the idea that if a student is failing it is because they are not trying hard enough or that
they don’t care.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

have you thought about the damages, rewriting math would cause on simple codes in programs you use daily?

It's not about rewriting math. It's about allowing students to express different ways of finding an answer. If the answer is correct, what do you care how the student arrived at the answer, as long as they didn't get it off their classmates paper?

You've got it exactly backward. This isn't Common Core math anymore.

This is talking about decolonizing math to where 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 because to expect it to would be racist. This is saying that math does not have objective answers. This isn't about expressing how you arrived at the answer to 2+2 and got 4; this is saying that if you said 2+2 is actually 5, then maybe it is because that is your lived racial experience.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Because, surprise, the whole reason that the student gives an answer is that he can learn the math. The teacher couldnt care less about the informational value as long as the answer is right and can be derived consistently. That is using math.

Question, do you think that school is there so kids process math questions where the answeres are already known?

You can't be that obtuse, you got to be trolling. Math isn't racist.

It's only then racist if people like you dislike what statistics point out. Things like black on black crimes compared to white on black crimes both in numbers and relation just point out the reality.

But people like these group are made off, people like you think it's racist because it points out the truth.

So you rather bend reality than accept facts in general. It's why related groups want to erase history, disarm and restrict free speech.

Wake up!

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm starting to think,

Racist, does not mean what they think it means in their heads.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This is talking about decolonizing math to where 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 because to expect it to would be racist.

BS! No, it's not. If that's the spin you're pushing, I'm out. There's nothing else to discuss with you.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

This is talking about decolonizing math to where 2+2 doesn't always equal 4 because to expect it to would be racist.

BS! No, it's not. If that's the spin you're pushing, I'm out. There's nothing else to discuss with you.

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.

It's right there in plain language.

Even Common Core said there were right and wrong answers. All they did was de-emphasize the answer in favor of the process.

Be as triggered about it as you want, but 2+2=4 and you cannot decolonize it to make it less true.
edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:11 AM
link   

It's only then racist if people like you dislike what statistics point out. Things like black on black crimes compared to white on black crimes both in numbers and relation just point out the reality.

You sound triggered.

Math is logic. Logic is, obviously, hard for you.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Does anyone in latin America say latinX?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I step on your left foot, you then put your other one on top of mine, I do the same with my other foot. You now put your left foot on my other foot and we repeat that until we reach orbit.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Yes, yes that's the case.

/sarc

link   

The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false

True.

and teaching it is even much less so.

True.

Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict.

True.

link   

We're not the ones having issues with logic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join