It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Bankrolling Educational Org That Says Math is Racist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   
But "the science"!
We must obey the science, science is based on math, the answer for 2 + 2 will always = 4.

Bill Gates Bankrolling Educational Organization That Says Math is Racist

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is bankrolling an activist educational group that believes math is racist and that arriving at an objective answer is an example of “white supremacy.”

Yes, really.

A conglomerate of 25 educational organizations called A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction asserts that asking students to find the correct answer is an “inherently racist practice.”

The organization’s website lists the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as its only donor. “In fact, over the past decade, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has awarded over of $140 million to a variety of groups associated with Pathway. Their “antiracist resources” are at the epicenter of a new training course for teachers offered by the Oregon Department of Education throughout the state,” reports National File.

“Three of the most prominent organizations receiving grant money from the Gates’ are The Education Trust, Teach Plus, and WestEd, all non-profit 501c organizations.” A guidebook for teachers produced by Pathway called ‘Dismantling Racism in Mathematics Instruction’ ludicrously claims that mathematics “is used to uphold capitalist, imperialist, and racist views.” Teachers are instructed to blame non-white students getting answers wrong on “white supremacist practices,” which are truly to blame for the “underachievement” of minorities.

Summit News Article

I'll be drilling down a little more to find the real sources for this. But if true, this is the nail in the coffin for anything Bill Gates related for me.

From their home page at equitablemath.org

Resources and guidance to support Black, LatinX, and Multilingual students to thrive in grades 6-8 A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction is an integrated approach to mathematics that centers Black, Latinx, and Multilingual students in grades 6-8, addresses barriers to math equity, and aligns instruction to grade-level priority standards. The Pathway offers guidance and resources for educators to use now as they plan their curriculum, while also offering opportunities for ongoing self-reflection as they seek to develop an anti-racist math practice. The toolkit “strides” serve as multiple on-ramps for educators as they navigate the individual and collective journey from equity to anti-racism.

LINK

Included on the site is a lesson on “dismantling racism in mathematics instruction,” which decries racist behaviors such as the “focus” on “getting the ‘right’ answer,” requiring students to “show their work,” and “independent practice” being valued over teamwork or collaboration. “White supremacy culture infiltrates math classrooms in everyday teacher actions,” the lesson says. “Coupled with the beliefs that underlie these actions, they perpetuate educational harm on Black, Latinx, and multilingual students, denying them full access to the world of mathematics."

MSN Article
edit on 19-2-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Someone should ask him if Microsoft requires a degree and knowing math in order to get a job.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

Someone should ask him if Microsoft requires a degree and knowing math in order to get a job.

Probably, but they probably also make a lot of those hires on H1-B visas from countries that don't worry about how racist math is. And thus, they are absolved of the whiteness sin.
edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

I know. How can a good coder even get hired when it's racist to use math, right?

It's just gotten too insane. I heard this one before and never bothered, it's Bill Gates, so whatever. But . . .

Mathematical formulas have only one, or a few in some cases, right answer(s). Not following the mathematical procedures and coming up with a wrong answer will never get you an engineering position at NASA. Of course, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I guess Bill and Melinda are no rocket scientists. However, I am thinking that perhaps this isn't about having kids of color learn and get ahead, but to keep them on welfare or flipping burgers and scrubbing toilets at the rest area.

edit on 19-2-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Huh.

If math and science (like comp sci, Billy) are racist, then what does that make Gates? I mean, come on, he didn't get where he is by not knowing math, and getting free passes.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   

But if true, this is the nail in the coffin for anything Bill Gates related for me.

That coffin was fully nailed shut a while ago for me.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
After re-reading this I just realized something . . .

centers Black, Latinx, and Multilingual students . . . addresses barriers to math equity, and aligns instruction to grade-level priority standards . . . offering opportunities for ongoing self-reflection as they seek to develop an anti-racist math practice. The toolkit “strides” serve as multiple on-ramps for educators as they navigate the individual and collective journey from equity to anti-racism.

So then, systemic white racism has created a "math inequity" and so to eliminate this mathematical racism and have "equity" in math, we must not have a negative grade in math based on a wrong answer to an equation.

On last night's episode, Young Sheldon was telling his professor that V = Velveeta Cheese in a complex formula his professor was explaining because of a philosophy class he had. Hummm?

Is this saying that in order to have math equity (even though math is already universally equal) you need an unequal grading process based on color? That this will help end white racism and improve the lives of minority kids? This makes sense how?

That last line is very troublesome for me.

The "journey from equity to anti-racism" or to translate, moving away from equity and toward anti-racism. How is equity, equal for all regardless of race, not related to anti-racism? It makes no sense to me except to have kids grow up to be morons that have to count their fingers and toes and still come up with the wrong answer.

edit on 19-2-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If it looks weird, sounds weird, tastes weird, then it’s just plain simple weird.

He hits 2 out of 3 straight off the bat. The other one? Well I’ve yet to meet him, so unable to provide an answer on that....yet.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Bill Gates has become the man who wants to eliminate objectivity in math ensuring no one can do it and then feed everyone who knows nothing his super processed bug paste sausage.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Bill Gates has become the man who wants to eliminate objectivity in math ensuring no one can do it and then feed everyone who knows nothing his super processed bug paste sausage.

I wonder if math is involved in his recipes?

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

We must obey the science, science is based on math, the answer for 2 + 2 will always = 4.

True, but there are many ways to arrive at the number 4. "What is the sum of 2+2?" is not always the operate question, but a clue, or a facet of an equation that could be expressed in many ways.

The S.T.E.M. sciences have often been taught in almost a mind control sort of way. One must "show work" in the way they are told, only. There is no place for thinking outside the box, no coloring outside the lines, even if that kind of thinking is the way most challenging problems are solved.

This topic reminds me of the "Hidden Figures" movie.

edit on 19-2-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Sorry, Sooks, but the concept of 2 combine with the concept of 2 to create the concept of 4. It is universal and always works that way.

Math doesn't care how stupid you want to be about this.

Really this is like saying that gravity is racist and then jumping off a building and demanding it work differently because you're woke and trying to "decolonize" it. I certainly invite anyone who wants to try it though.
edit on 19-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Bible predicts this too.

Ethnos will rise against ethnos.

This is all under control. It ends soon, why worry.

Love jesus and be free. Dont buy into their delusions and avoid the mark. You'll be okay. Accept salvation from our beautiful saviour.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Progressives can only adopt relativism. They have no moral centre. The sky is green, prove me wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It’s math, it either works or it doesn’t. Nothing racist about it.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius

Progressives can only adopt relativism. They have no moral centre. The sky is green, prove me wrong.

My son is at that age where magic is exciting (or superheroes in his case). I often tell him that while it's fun to fantasize about breaking the rules of the universe which is what magic is all about, God set them there for very good reason, and in reality, it would be the supreme folly to think we can or ought to break them for our whim. It's one thing to discover what they are and work with them and another to defy them entirely.

This craze by the left to defy things like math, pretending it isn't what it is, erasing the hard truth of our sex, etc., is the whim of magical thinking. They're trying awfully hard to break the rules of reality.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this looks like genocide at it's infancy. Make the black population believe that they need to learn an easier version of math, dumb them down, and after a few generations, the majority won't be able to know if they are getting the sh!t end of the stick or not.

This is way idiotic, and the damn black population should be the first in line to call this out. They are honestly saying the same things Joey Biden has been saying all along. Black people aren't as smart as white people.

Melanin is directly inverse to ability to think. Yep, that sounds just as stupid to read it back as it did to first type it.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It is, but I am thinking they are setting up a different group. Everything is our fault, not theirs. They aren't getting ahead? It's because everything is racist against them, not because they have issues of their own that helps out mightily. It's not that things have failed them alongside that.

Think about it. Here they are getting graduated less then 50% literate, and instead of getting told the truth - between the problems of their own community and faulty educational apparatus, they're both failing themselves and being failed - they get told it's the fault of those who live better - in this case all those folks are painted as white. And the whites are keeping them down.

It sets them up to want to eliminate the middle class and the independent folks in the country, even those who are minority and part of that class.

Then, I have no idea where they go.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The only way I could see racism, is because of reading comprehension and variables.

As someone mentioned from The Big Bang Theory.

(2n)-2=6

A black student may see that and think of the n word instead of a variable.

Maybe they should work on improving other fronts of education, instead of driving every standard down.
edit on 2/19/2021 by Nivhk because: Think not thing, jesus autocorrect

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Math doesn't care how stupid you want to be about this.

Nobody is claiming that numbers aren't real, or that mathematical concepts are not solid. But to deny the abstract nature of creating and solving complex problems through the use of abstract mathematic equations is sheer ignorance.

This isn't about the reality of real numbers and simple addition, subtraction and division, it's about how mathematical concepts are presented and taught.

but the concept of 2 combine with the concept of 2 to create the concept of 4. It is universal and always works that way.

Tell that to a quark.

edit on 19-2-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join