It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland fights Big Tech - Will Fine Big Tech $13.5 Million Per Case For Removing Ideological Content

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:14 PM
link   
About time. Unless it is illegal it should not be removed.

Plus one for Poland. After decades of communist authoritarian rule, they are not going to take this crap. I certainly hope free nations follow their example. This would solve the issue with a quickness.

Free speech is a right, not being offended by someone else's opinion is not a right. Pretty simple.

BOOM! Poland Will Fine Big Tech $13.5 Million Per Case For Removing Ideological Content: “Poland spent 45 years under Communism…It taught us the value of free speech

100percentfedup.com... mit-taught-us-the-value-of-free-speech/

For several years, Big Tech censorship of non-mainstream, conservative, and libertarian views has been increasing. Recently, Facebook banned Australian News and health services–among others.

Speaking to Fox News, the architect of the law, Deputy Polish Justice Minister Sebastian Kaleta, said social media companies have for too long been targeting conservatives, Christianity, and traditional values by banning them and removing posts and the Polish government is saying “enough!”

www.foxnews.com...

"We see that when Big Tech decides to remove content for political purposes, it’s mostly content which praises traditional values or praises conservatism," he said, "and it is deleted under their 'hate speech policy' when it has no legal right to do so."

Under the new legislation, any platform that bans a user would face fines of $13.5 million unless the content is also illegal under Polish law. An arbitration committee would be set up to oversee disputes.

Tech companies had reached a point where they were deciding what was legal and what was not -- but that was not their role, Kaleta says.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Be interesting to see who has the balls to follow suit

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I’m not familiar with polish law.
Is free speech a right in Poland?

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Free speech is a right all over Europe.

And most of the world bar a few countries

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Be interesting to see who has the balls to follow suit

Appears Hungary is following Poland.

bigleaguepolitics.com...

Judit Varga, the Justice Minister of Hungary, recently announced that the government of Viktor Orban will not tolerate Big Tech’s attacks on free speech. Hungary is following in the footsteps of Poland, which has proposed legislation that would subject social media giants to fines for arbitrarily removing posts that are not in violation of Polish law.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:38 AM
link   
These People dealt
with the real Nazi's
back in the day

They're not gonna
go there again.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The US should be leading this fight and stomping Facebook and Twitter into bankruptcy court for trying to legislate speech.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Good ole Hungary. The right wing authoritarianism wet dream.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Hoping to see a trend

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Beware of feigned outrage and red herrings to make people think somebody is actually doing something.

Talk is cheap and usually stays "talk" 😎

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:44 AM
link   

I love Poland and Polish stand for human right for freedom of though and speech, and against oppressive ideologies. This could be something for US Democrats to take learning from.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Under the current Polish government, free speech is a right as long as you make no mention of the fact that there was complicity among some of the Polish nation during WW2 for the treatment of jews by Nazi Germany (by no means all Polish people), and also as long as you don't mention their draconian abortion laws.

Ultimately, as long as what you say doesn't go against their ideology they are fine.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
The US should be leading this fight and stomping Facebook and Twitter into bankruptcy court for trying to legislate speech.

The only thing the USofA is leading the world in right now is how to circle the drain.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 06:04 AM
link   
From a tech point of view,
it won't take them long to tweak their censorship system to go by-country... allowing some free thought in places where it costs them, but not in other countries.

Hopefully this leads to widespread exposure of their censorship- I feel like too many people still don't get it.

Open it up- let people say whatever they want, wherever they want.
Too many people never got punched in the face for being a prick, and it shows.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

I love Poland and Polish stand for human right for freedom of though and speech, and against oppressive ideologies. This could be something for US Democrats to take learning from.

Poland's proposal is to stop deleting of messages or banning people for inciting hate UNLESS it breaks Polish law. Considering many of the repressive laws the current Polish government has imposed, that isn't freedom of speech, it's actually state controlled oppression.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

except the assholes who told them to do it, are in charge here. So that may not happen.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

Me too. I was taught how to wrestle by a polish fighter. I was only ever ok, but his instruction made Oceana champions and a couple of Olympic representatives out of my team mates.

Their bloody champions and it doesn’t surprise me that their giving zuckster a ‘pull your head in’
edit on 19-2-2021 by Dalamax because: Cause Zuckerberg is a dooche

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Under the current Polish government, free speech is a right as long as you make no mention of the fact that there was complicity among some of the Polish nation during WW2 for the treatment of jews by Nazi Germany (by no means all Polish people), and also as long as you don't mention their draconian abortion laws.

Ultimately, as long as what you say doesn't go against their ideology they are fine.

So they have "Free" speech?
I know I'm just a country boy rube but I also understand what the word "Free" means.
In terms of speech the word "restricted" would be closer to the truth.
In terms of healthcare the words "taxpayer funded" fits the description.

My toothbrush was free according to my dentist but I recall paying him $150.

The only thing left in the world today that is truly free are opinions.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

So they have "Free" speech?
I know I'm just a country boy rube but I also understand what the word "Free" means.
In terms of speech the word "restricted" would be closer to the truth.
In terms of healthcare the words "taxpayer funded" fits the description.

My toothbrush was free according to my dentist but I recall paying him $150.

The only thing left in the world today that is truly free are opinions.

Agreed, the current Polish government want free speech for everyone as long as they don't say something that is critical of them - then they want it banned.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

The us-centered right wingers on this board cannot understand you. I do. F@&k PIS!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join