It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mark would be the negative read out for a high temperature

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Hear me out.

"Rev 13:16 And she causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark (negative read out for a high temperature) in their right hand, or in their foreheads: 17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark (negative read out for a high temperature), or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

The tool they now use at places of businesses open to the public, to check your temperature, is usually handheld in their right hand, to get for them self a temperature reading on it from you. The parts with the read out on your temperature is their devices' foreheads. These temp reading devices have foreheads which is their read out parts.

The part I put in bold to the quote means that the first beast will be remaining in the clear from covid-19. The first beast will always get a negative read out for a high temp, because the first beast can't catch what the second beast is causing to go round the whole world (covid-19 and its variants).

That is all. Do we see eye to eye now on this Rev 13:16-17 interpretation?

To sum it all up. The second beast (the dragon) unleashed covid-19 upon the world, but the first beast can't catch it. This means that the first beast will always be able to buy or sell (do business).

We know that businesses that check your temp will have you turn around and leave if your temp is too high.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Damn, I got a new job title. First beast.

And all I needed was a strong immune system to fight off diseases.

My Tractor I bought had a loader called "666 mighty master" on it. I took that name and letters off of the arms so I wouldn't freak people out. Didn't want drunk people getting in accidents by my driveway saying the Devil caused their accident.
edit on 18-2-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sweet Baby Jesus, I think you have cracked the code!

Or not. I mean FFS we had a preacher man who tried to convince us that UPC's were the mark of the beast.

And before that there was that small pox mark on your arm.

Face it man, God abandoned humans long ago as he was like WTF, OK, I DO make mistakes.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I must say...

The all is described as differing people. "...all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond,...", not all the world. Meaning, all kinds of different BUSINESS people will receive a negative read out for a high temperature from others trying to buy or sell. But the first beast will SURELY get a negative read out for a high temperature when trying to buy or sell. The rest trying to buy or sell will eventually get a positive read out for a high temperature as the virus goes round and round.
edit on 18-2-2021 by Claymation213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Claymation213

No, just, no.

New theories always emerge when the world is in turmoil or a new millennium is rolling over.

They are always wrong...

You'll know what the mark is when the time comes.

There will be no guesses, or mistaking it.

You won't be “tricked” into taking it.

According to the text anyway...

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Some places already have a device that takes your picture and displays your face and temperature, green frame around your head you enter, red frame you do not.
It's also all done on a Ipad mounted on a pedestal right in the doorway between 2 sets of doors.

I guess in the future if you have any type of fever, or hot flashes you won't be able to enter some facilities.
Prejudice against middle aged women going though menopause with hot flashes.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of a Teffelin?
Straps and maybe a box Orthodox Jews wrap around their wrist and forehead when worshiping and praying

God doesn’t care about some of the things you do, God is more interested in people following His command to love other people as Jesus did

Who do you worship, God or something else

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The "mark" is described as a way for the Beast to identify those willing to worship the first Beast instead of worshipping God.
How, exactly, is a temperature reading going to accomplish that?

There is a genuine way to identify the mark of the Beast, which is guaranteed to work without fail, providing you carry out the procedure in the right order.

1) Identify the Beast. DO THAT FIRST
2) Note whatever the symbol the Beast is using to identify his followers. That is the mark

The Beast of Revelation ch13 is someone dominating the world and persecuting Christians to the point of death. If you cannot see any such person in the world, then THE BEAST DOES'T EXIST YET, and so there is no point in looking for the mark. So people should stop getting obsessed by the thought of it. Wait for things to happen before you start worrying about them. Good grief.

edit on 18-2-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Wait for things to happen before you start worrying about them. Good grief.

"Good grief" - i think you better polish up on acceptable advice giving.....

Prevention is better than cure no????

The OP might be wildly out there in his/her search but it is the OP's right to search without criticism i would have thought.

Especially from you of all people - the no1 religious poster on the site......you do know better so hence you are no where near as enlightened as you like to believe you are.....

Shame on you.
edit on 18-2-2021 by CthruU because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CthruU
I'm not sure that this site would recognise anyone's right to express a viewpoint "without being criticised" for it. Critical examination is rather the point. Especially when something is so far out that it begins to look like trolling.

And there is no suggestion in Revelation that the Beast can be prevented. We are expected only to respond to it in the right way

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU
P.S. I will add this, having calmed down a little. Because of what happens to people who take the mark, random speculation about the nature of the mark has the ability to create unnecessary fear and anxiety. "Oh no, I' may be going to hell because I've used a Barclaycard/taken a vaccine/ have "666" as my house number." That's what I dislike about seeing it.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

My temperature is not being checked before I buy or sell anything.

Epic fail on your part.
edit on 2/19/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

My temperature is not being checked before I buy or sell anything.

Epic fail on your part.

The word "might" was used in the chapter. So I failed not.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I am not sure if you are trolling, or you really believe that. The mark of the beast has nothing to do with "Temperature Instruments". The mark will be used to identify the followers of the beast. Something similar when God marked Cain, so people can not kill him.

If you want to research further I am sure DISRAELI has some threads about Revelation. You might find some valuable information on your research about Revelation.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seed76

I am not sure if you are trolling, or you really believe that.

Well, whatever it is, the likely effect will be that some people will be discouraged from looking into the subject because they don't want to be associated with the crazies; or they'll think the Bible's information and message related to this subject is so open to all sorts of interpretations, that it's worthless and meaningless. Just a book of myths and vague nonsense that people have used for all sorts of theories. Or for those who don't feel that way about the Bible (those thinking of themselves as Christians), to get the feelings as expressed and encouraged by DISRAELI: "no point in looking for the mark", "people should stop getting obsessed by the thought of it. Wait for things to happen before you start worrying about them."

If you want to research further I am sure DISRAELI has some threads about Revelation. You might find some valuable information on your research about Revelation.

Doubtful, since he already seems to make the wrong assumption that the mark is a visible symbol, like the Nazi cross is a visible symbol. Unless I misunderstood that part of his comment. What is obvious from his comment though, is the wrong assumption and interpretation that "The Beast of Revelation ch13 is someone", a "person". Possibly in no small part due to the shoddy translation also used in the OP without any context. Who is "she"? That should be "it" because it's referring to a beast. What translation is that anyway, most translations I'm seeing on Biblehub, including the KJV (which, seeing the wording in the OP, is what it looks like), have "he", and some have "it". The "it" in that verse, the beast causing what follows, or 'putting under compulsion all people' (based on the rendering I will share below), is referring to the beast with "two horns like a lamb" mentioned in verse 11 (symbolizing a dual worldpower). Which is not the same beast mentioned in verse 17 as "having the mark, the name of the wild beast" (that's not the same beast there). There are a whole bunch of beasts mentioned there from verse 11-18. Here it is as rendered in the NW:

11 Then I saw another wild beast ascending out of the earth, and it had two horns like a lamb, but it began speaking like a dragon. 12 It exercises all the authority of the first wild beast in its sight. And it makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first wild beast, whose mortal wound was healed. 13 And it performs great signs, even making fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the sight of mankind.

14 It misleads those who dwell on the earth, because of the signs that it was permitted to perform in the sight of the wild beast, while it tells those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the wild beast that had the sword-stroke and yet revived. 15 And it was permitted to give breath* [Or “spirit.”] to the image of the wild beast, so that the image of the wild beast should both speak and cause to be killed all those who refuse to worship the image of the wild beast.

16 It puts under compulsion all people—the small and the great, the rich and the poor, the free and the slaves—that these should be marked on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 and that nobody can buy or sell except a person having the mark, the name of the wild beast or the number of its name. 18 This is where it calls for wisdom: Let the one who has insight calculate the number of the wild beast, for it is a man’s number,* [Or “a human number.”] and its number is 666.

Now if you want some details regarding the identity of the various beasts, in particular the beast with "two horns like a lamb" that "was permitted to give breath* [Or “spirit.”] to the image of the wild beast" (the United Nations is this image), as well as why neither this 2-horned beast, nor the "wild beast", nor "the image of the wild beast" is a single individual, a person (or as some even interpret it, a human, a man; often because of confusion regarding the remark there at the end about "a man's number" or "a human number". Which is not clear from DISRAELI's comment if he feels that way as well), I refer you to my comment in Claymation213's other thread about the number. And in particular also the videos at the end entitled "the bible-accurate history reliable prophecy" (3 parts). The most relevant parts to this thread discussed in part 3, but the rest is important for proper understanding by way of Biblical references and comparisons to the beasts mentioned by Daniel, which is in part 2. Because as mentioned in the comment there:

"The Bible book of Daniel sheds much light on the meaning of symbolic beasts. Chapter 7 contains a vivid tableau of “four huge beasts”​—a lion, a bear, a leopard, and a fearsome beast with big teeth of iron. (Daniel 7:2-7) Daniel tells us that these beasts represent “kings,” or political kingdoms, that rule in succession over vast empires.​—Daniel 7:17, 23.

Regarding the beast of Revelation 13:1, 2, The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible points out that it “combines in itself the joint characteristics of the four beasts of Daniel’s vision . . . Accordingly, this first beast [of Revelation] represents the combined forces of all political rule opposed to God in the world.” This observation is affirmed by Revelation 13:7, which says of the beast: “Authority was given it over every tribe and people and tongue and nation.” ).

So this is talking about the "wild beast" in chapter 13 of which an "image" is made. A clue that this is referring to the United Nations because it represents an image of "the combined forces of all political rule opposed to God in the world." Or as the documentary describes it, "a symbol of authority in which world leaders put their trust in order to achieve peace, and a new world order." So regarding the 2-horned beast of verse 11, the one putting "under compulsion all people . . . that nobody can buy or sell except a person having the mark, the name of the wild beast or the number of its name." The 2-horned beast that "tells those who dwell on the earth to make an image [UN] to the wild beast [Satan's political system] that had the sword-stroke [WW I] and yet revived. And it [the 2-horned beast] was permitted to give breath* [Or “spirit.”] to the image of the wild beast" (*: signifying giving it life, figuratively speaking, because it's a "symbol of authority"], we're looking for a dual worldpower that figuratively gave life or birth to the UN. And takes a leading role in making the people of this earth look up to that image as their means of salvation or bring about a new world order of peace, where as president Bush said it, "the rule of law, not the law of the jungle, governs the conduct of nations."

Full quotation being:
"We have before us the opportunity to forge for ourselves and for future generations a new world order, a world where the rule of law, not the law of the jungle, governs the conduct of nations."

There should be enough clues in there now to figure out yourself who this 2-horned beast (symbolizing a dual worldpower) represents; and why they are playing 'the good guys', "like a lamb. but it began speaking like a dragon." (Rev 13:11) But for more clues, I refer you to at least part 2 or 3 in this comment

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
So this is talking about the "wild beast" in chapter 13 of which an "image" is made. A clue that this is referring to the United Nations because it represents an image of "the combined forces of all political rule opposed to God in the world." Or as the documentary describes it, "a symbol of authority in which world leaders put their trust in order to achieve peace, and a new world order." ...

I used "this" there confusingly, sorry. The first "this" is referring to the "wild beast" spoken of above that. The 2nd "this" is referring to "the image of the wild beast".

I'm out of edit space (I went over the space allotted by means of a trick I've learned on how to do that, but then I can't edit anymore otherwise I'll have to re-do all the text I went over with; OK, this time it was just the link at the end, so I guess I'm just being lazy). A clue why the final period mark is missing, and why there's a period between "lamb" and "but", where that should be a comma. And the identification that I was referring to part 2 and 3 of the documentary earlier mentioned. You know what, I'll link part 2 and 3, with a playlist link for all 3 parts and more context (concerning Babylon the Great, i.e. false religion including Christendom; the other half of Satan's major control mechanism, one being political in nature, the wild beast and its image, the other religious, the harlot, who rides the image of the wild beast after it has been given the breath of life, figuratively speaking; remember that the UN already started earlier under the name "The League of Nations" after WW I):

Jehovah Equips Us! (playlist, this is quite a few videos before that documentary)

The following should also be edited (edits are bolded):

And takes a leading role in making the people of this earth look up to that image as their means of salvation and bringing about a new world order of peace, where as president Bush said it, "the rule of law, not the law of the jungle, governs the conduct of nations."

A big clue as to the identity of this dual worldpower. As the documentary asks:

"Which 2 governments today share the same language and have had influence over all the earth?" (at 5:20 in part 3, answer given right after, with some further elaboration, context and relevant Bible quotations from Revelation start at 4:18; which also talks about an "eighth king" which "springs from the seven", the League of Nations later known as the UN, and how that it* "was [after WW I till WW II], but is not [during WW II when the League of Nations basically fell apart and disappeared in the "abyss" of inactivity], and yet will be present.") *: the image of the wild beast that has now come to life and is described as simply "the wild beast" in chapter 17; but by its description early on in the chapter can be identified as the living image because it has no diadems, which are like little crowns on their horns, whereas "the first wild beast" in chapter 13 does have those diadems; which may remind a person as to the discussions about how powerless the UN sometimes is to stop the wars fought by member nations. See Revelation 17 for all exact quotations (and chapter 13 of course, but I already quoted the term "the first wild beast" there. They're all called "wild beast" at some point though, so I hope I didn't confuse anyone by bolding "wild" in my previous comment, as if to distinguish from the 2-horned beast, which is alse called a "wild beast" in verse 11. I should have bolded "the first wild beast" to make that clear and distinguish it from the 2-horned beast).

Remember also, Satan is the ruler (political) of this world (John 14:30), and the god (religious) of this system of things (2Cor 4:4). So that's why I went with the quicker term "Satan's political system" for "the first wild beast" at some point in my quotations of chapter 13 (towards the end of my comment) rather than the longer term used by The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible: “this first beast [of Revelation] represents the combined forces of all political rule opposed to God in the world.” Cause I didn't want to use such a long term in the middle of a quotation when I had already explained that part and was talking about the identifying clues in chapter 13 regarding the activities of the 2-horned beast (what the "it" is constantly referring to in those quotations, "it" being the 2-horned beast that "tells those who dwell on the earth to make an image [UN] to the wild beast [Satan's political system] ..."; Rev. 13:14).
edit on 24-2-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Doubtful, since he already seems to make the wrong assumption that the mark is a visible symbol, like the Nazi cross is a visible symbol.

Why wrong? His assumption is based on the Greek Version which renders it as "stigma". If you look the definition for it you will find the following :

a mark pricked in or branded upon the body. To ancient oriental usage, slaves and soldiers bore the name or the stamp of their master or commander branded or pricked (cut) into their bodies to indicate what master or general they belonged to, and there were even some devotees who stamped themselves in this way with the token of their gods

Source

Just a book of myths and vague nonsense that people have used for all sorts of theories. Or for those who don't feel that way about the Bible (those thinking of themselves as Christians), to get the feelings as expressed and encouraged by DISRAELI: "no point in looking for the mark", "people should stop getting obsessed by the thought of it. Wait for things to happen before you start worrying about them."

He has a point though. People are so obsessed by trying to identify the name of his number as if they will win a prize. Have you ever thought that the 666 it was meant to be symbolic? It is possible that John merely intended the number to be symbolic of what the beast and his followers represent: humankind in their ultimate rebellion against God, his Lamb, and the followers of the Lamb.

After all The number 666 could well personify the imperfection of man, even implying in the triple number the unholy trinity(beasts) of the dragon, antichrist, and the false prophet. It is also noteworthy that a variant reading in Greek New Testament manuscripts exits that cites the number as "616" rather than "666."

Anyways I am not defending DISRAELI he is very knowledgeable in such matters. Which is why I simply said that the OP should take a look at it if he is really interested, instead of making claims that make no sense at all and comes out as a troll post.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seed76

Why wrong?

See the comment I was referring to and linked at the end of the first comment for details. Just remember that a symbolic or literal use of a word in the Bible is not indicated by (picking) a literal definition of a word, but by the context (and comparing with other similar statements elsewhere in the Bible, the larger context of the entire Bible). More on that later.

Have you ever thought that the 666 it was meant to be symbolic?

Yes, because it is, as explained in detail in the comment in Claymation213's other thread about the number, linked at the end of my first comment. Have you considered that because the whole book of Revelation centers around a symbolic use of language, and especially in the immediate context symbolic language is extensively used, that the mark is also not to be taken literally but "meant to be symbolic", as you put it; or that it at least increases the chance of that being the case?

So, let's have a look at the more immediate context (surrounding verses) and the larger context (the Bible as a whole) regarding this subject:

What does it mean to be marked on the forehead or in the right hand with the name of the wild beast? When Jehovah gave Israel the Law, he told them: “You must apply these words of mine to your heart and your soul and bind them as a sign upon your hand, and they must serve as a frontlet band between your eyes.” (Deuteronomy 11:18) [whereislogic: the larger context] This meant that the Israelites had to keep that Law constantly before them, so that it influenced all their actions and thoughts. The 144,000 anointed ones are said to have the Father’s name and that of Jesus written on their foreheads. This identifies them as belonging to Jehovah God and Jesus Christ. (Revelation 14:1) [whereislogic: surely you are not under the impression that this is also literally written on their foreheads?] In imitation, Satan uses the demonic mark of the wild beast. Anybody engaged in everyday activities such as buying and selling is pressured to do things the way the wild beast does, as, for example, in celebrating holidays. They are expected to worship[ *] the wild beast, letting it rule their lives, so as to receive its mark. [whereislogic: *: see for example the preceding verse in Revelation 13, just before it starts talking about the mark, it's talking about "worship the image of the wild beast", also in verse 12; i.e. the immediate context.]

Source: Chapter 28: Contending With Two Ferocious Beasts (Revelation—Its Grand Climax At Hand!)

It is also noteworthy that a variant reading in Greek New Testament manuscripts exits that cites the number as "616" rather than "666."

Not that noteworthy, deceivers intentionally mistranslating the Bible in order to help Satan obscure important details that would help a person identify and understand what all this is about will always be around until Armageddon. The "616" rendering looks bogus to me. Only the real fringe translations would render it as "616", I can't find a single one on Biblehub, which lists all the main, or most popular translations people use, on their "Parallel" tab. You also didn't name a specific translation that actually renders it that way, so perhaps it's just a claim made by some people who haven't even produced a translation of the Bible. You of course were talking about "a variant reading in Greek New Testament manuscripts", so it sounds like something Bible translators in the past would have already looked at and would have decided was a copying error, based on superior and more numerous manuscripts showing that, or perhaps older manuscripts as well (before someone messed up and that mistake was then copied into other manuscripts). Then again, I have to take your word for it that such variant manuscripts actually exist, because I don't know any and you didn't show any (or name any). Something which I'd like to avoid. Besides, it's a bit of a non-issue if so many translators have already looked into it and decided that "666" is the correct rendering (or in words expressing 666). The whole "616" just doesn't make any sense anyway in the larger context. It looks more like it's meant to create confusion and make it foggy (unclear).

But I do recommend looking at my other comment in the other thread I mentioned. Which talks in much more detail about the number and its significance. Here's another version of some of the same information there (less detailed though):

What Does 666 Mean?

The Bible’s answer

According to the last book in the Bible, 666 is the number, or name, of the wild beast with seven heads and ten horns that comes out of the sea. (Revelation 13:​1, 17, 18) This beast is a symbol of the worldwide political system, which rules over “every tribe and people and tongue and nation.” (Revelation 13:7) The name 666 identifies the political system as a gross failure in God’s sight. How?

More than a label. Names given by God have meaning. For example, God gave the man Abram, which means “Father Is High (Exalted),” the name Abraham, which means “Father of a Crowd (Multitude),” when God promised that He would make Abraham “a father of many nations.” (Genesis 17:5, footnotes) Likewise, God named the beast 666 as a symbol of its defining attributes.

The number six implies imperfection. Often, numbers are used as symbols in the Bible. Seven typically represents completeness or perfection. Six, being one short of seven, can denote something incomplete or flawed in God’s eyes, and it can be associated with God’s enemies.​—1 Chronicles 20:6; Daniel 3:1.

Three times for emphasis. The Bible sometimes stresses a matter by stating it three times. (Revelation 4:8; 8:​13) So the name 666 powerfully emphasizes that God views human political systems as gross failures. They have been unable to bring lasting peace and security​—things that only God’s Kingdom will achieve.

The mark of the beast

The Bible says that people receive “the mark of the wild beast” because they follow it “with admiration,” to the point of worshipping it. (Revelation 13:​3, 4; 16:2) They do this by giving worshipful honor to their country, its symbols, or its military might. As The Encyclopedia of Religion states: “Nationalism has become a dominant form of religion in the modern world.” * [See also Nationalism in a Global Era, page 134, and Nationalism and the Mind: Essays on Modern Culture, page 94.]

How is the mark of the beast placed on someone’s right hand or forehead? (Revelation 13:16) Regarding his commands to the nation of Israel, God said: “Bind them as a reminder on your hand, and they should be like a headband on your forehead.” (Deuteronomy 11:18) This meant, not that the Israelites were to mark their literal hands and foreheads, but that God’s words would guide all their actions and thoughts. Likewise, rather than being something literal such as a 666 tattoo, the mark of the beast symbolically identifies those who let the political system rule their lives. Those with the mark of the beast place themselves in opposition to God.​—Revelation 14:​9, 10; 19:19-​21.

Related topic:

What Is the Seven-Headed Wild Beast of Revelation Chapter 13?

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I noticed that even conspiracy theorist John Todd (who talks a lot about the illuminati and the new world order) has realized that the "hand" is referring to the actions and the "forehead" is referring to the thoughts of a person (or their mindset). As he debunks the microchip conspiracy theory. It's somewhere in his personal testimony I think, but because I don't know where I don't want to waste your time with it. It's not that significant anyway cause he's just a conspiracy theorist, but he got that information from his church, which I think was baptist. So others in Christendom are aware of this as well, even as perhaps others in the same church or denomination (Baptism for example) believe the microchip theory (or that there is any merit to such literal interpretations, literally something in or on the hand). Denominations in Christendom usually don't do that well on the 'unity of belief' front regarding every theological or biblical subject, especially when it comes to primarily symbolic texts such as the book of Revelation.

Key points regarding "unity of belief" in part 2:

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
What Does 666 Mean?

The mark of the beast

The Bible says that people receive “the mark of the wild beast” because they follow it “with admiration,” to the point of worshipping it. (Revelation 13:​3, 4; 16:2) They do this by giving worshipful honor to their country, its symbols, or its military might. As The Encyclopedia of Religion states: “Nationalism has become a dominant form of religion in the modern world.” * [See also Nationalism in a Global Era, page 134, and Nationalism and the Mind: Essays on Modern Culture, page 94.]

A little more on that, in particular the concept of following it “with admiration,” to the point of worshipping it. And "worshipful honor to their country, its symbols, ...". And how nationalism ties in.

At times of national crisis and international tension, people look to their government for safety and security. Governments for their part step up programs designed to rally the support of the populace. The more the feeling of patriotism is fostered by such programs, the more spirited and frequent become the observances of patriotic ceremonies.

During a national emergency, patriotic fervor often gives people a sense of unity and strength and may promote a spirit of cooperation and civic-mindedness among them. However, “patriotism is as volatile as any emotion,” states an article in The New York Times Magazine, since “once released, it can assume ugly forms.” Expressions of it may take a turn that can encroach on the civil liberties and religious freedom of certain citizens of the country. True Christians particularly come under pressure to compromise their beliefs. How do they conduct themselves when such an atmosphere engulfs the world around them? What Scriptural principles help them to act with insight and to maintain integrity to God?

“You Must Not Bow Down to Them”

At times, saluting a national flag becomes a popular expression of patriotic feelings. But flags often bear representations of things in the heavens, such as stars, as well as things on the earth. God expressed his view of bowing down to such objects when he commanded his people: “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth. You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them, because I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion.”​—Exodus 20:4, 5.

Does saluting or kneeling before a flag representing the State really go against giving Jehovah God exclusive devotion? The ancient Israelites did have “signs,” or standards, around which their three-tribe divisions gathered while in the wilderness. (Numbers 2:1, 2) Commenting on the Hebrew words denoting such standards, McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia says: “Neither of them, however, expresses the idea which ‘standard’ conveys to our minds, viz. a flag.” Furthermore, Israel’s standards were not viewed as sacred, nor were any ceremonies associated with their use. They simply served the practical purpose of signs, showing the people where to gather.

Are national flags simply signs serving some utilitarian function? What do they symbolize? Of course, many people do not consider the flag sacred or that saluting it is an act of worship. However, consider what secular authorities say about this:

“The flag, like the cross, is sacred. . . . The rules and regulations relative to human attitude toward national standards use strong, expressive words, as, ‘Service to the Flag,’ . . . ‘Reverence for the Flag,’ ‘Devotion to the Flag.’”​—The Encyclopedia Americana (1942), Volume 11, page 316.

“Nationalism’s chief symbol of faith and central object of worship is the flag, and curious liturgical forms have been devised for ‘saluting’ the flag, for ‘dipping’ the flag, for ‘lowering’ the flag, and for ‘hoisting’ the flag. Men bare their heads when the flag passes by; and in praise of the flag poets write odes and children sing hymns.”​—What Americans Believe and How They Worship (1952), by J. Paul Williams, pages 359, 360.

The flag is the symbol of the State. Therefore, bowing down to it or saluting it is a religious ceremony that gives reverence to the State. Such an act ascribes salvation to the State and does not harmonize with what the Bible says about idolatry.

The Scriptures clearly state: “Salvation belongs to Jehovah.” (Psalm 3:8) Salvation is not to be ascribed to human institutions or their symbols. The apostle Paul admonished fellow Christians: “My beloved ones, flee from idolatry.” (1 Corinthians 10:14) The early Christians did not participate in acts of worship of the State. In the book Those About to Die, Daniel P. Mannix observes: “Christians refused to . . . sacrifice to the [Roman] emperor’s genius​—roughly equivalent today to refusing to salute the flag.” So it is with true Christians today. In order to render Jehovah exclusive devotion, they refrain from saluting the flag of any nation. By doing so, they put God first while maintaining respect for governments and their rulers. Indeed, they recognize their responsibility to be in subjection to the governmental “superior authorities.” (Romans 13:1-7) What, though, is the Scriptural view of singing patriotic songs, such as national anthems?

What Are National Anthems?

“National anthems are expressions of patriotic feeling and often include an invocation for divine guidance and protection of the people or their rulers,” says The Encyclopedia Americana. A national anthem is, in effect, a hymn or a prayer in behalf of a nation. It usually asks that the nation experience material prosperity and long duration. Should true Christians join in such prayerful sentiments?

The prophet Jeremiah lived among people who professed to serve God. Yet, Jehovah commanded him: “Do not pray in behalf of this people, neither raise in their behalf an entreating cry or a prayer nor beseech me, for I shall not be listening to you.” (Jeremiah 7:16; 11:14; 14:11) Why was Jeremiah given this command? Because their society was permeated with stealing, murdering, the committing of adultery, false swearing, and idolatry.​—Jeremiah 7:9.

Jesus Christ set a precedent when he said: “I make request, not concerning the world, but concerning those you have given me.” (John 17:9) The Scriptures say that “the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one” and “is passing away.” (1 John 2:17; 5:19) How, then, can true Christians conscientiously pray for the prosperity and longevity of such a system?

Of course, not all national anthems include petitions to God. “The sentiments of national anthems vary,” says the Encyclopædia Britannica, “from prayers for the monarch to allusions to nationally important battles or uprisings . . . to expressions of patriotic feeling.” But can those who seek to please God actually exult over the wars and revolutions of any nation? Concerning true worshipers, Isaiah foretold: “They will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears.” (Isaiah 2:4) “Though we walk in the flesh,” wrote the apostle Paul, “we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly.”​—2 Corinthians 10:3, 4.

National anthems often express feelings of national pride or superiority. This outlook has no Scriptural basis. In his speech on the Areopagus, the apostle Paul said: “[Jehovah God] made out of one man every nation of men, to dwell upon the entire surface of the earth.” (Acts 17:26) “God is not partial,” stated the apostle Peter, “but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.”​—Acts 10:34, 35.

Because of their understanding of the Bible, many make a personal decision to refrain from participating in the flag salute and in the singing of patriotic songs.

First Amendment Champions (playlist in context)
edit on 27-2-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join