It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold Weather Survival tips

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
There are many people in this country that simply do not know cold weather survival.
I witnessed it with my own eyes when I lived in Florida and saw grown men wearing blankets when it was 30 degrees.

For those of us that live in the frozen tundra, let's help our southern brethren out.
Here are some of my favorite tips.
Also, I feel your pain, I experienced a power outage for over a week with below zero temps.
Looks like the east might get a massive ice storm this weekend too.

#1 SAFETY - Carbon Monoxide is serious. Even a car in the garage with the garage door open can build up CO inside of the house. Don't do it.
If you are trying to warm up in your car, make sure it is completely outside!!!!
Generators aren't meant to be used inside even for a short time, same with grills, fires etc. Please!

Layering is king, layering of any kind. Layer your clothing, try to use natural materials for the base layers - silk, linen etc.
Gather all your family in the smallest room and sleep in the same bed. Humans are great for keeping each other warm.
Seriously, throw some mattresses in a small closet and get all snug. It's temporary.
Make sure you occasionally get some fresh air.

Put bubble wrap, towels, blankets, plastic whatever you have and block the windows and doors from further drafts.

Jugs/soda bottles filled with hot (not boiling!) water and under a blanket can keep you warm for a long time!

Eat & drink to keep up your energy. A small candle is enough to warm a can of soup.
If you don't have access to water it is tempting to eat melted snow. Keep in mind melted snow has a lot of pollution. Always
look for purified sources of water/liquids etc first. You can use melted snow for toilet flushing.

If you have nothing available and are in a dire situation, now is not the time to be shy. Neighbors should help each other out.

Use this time to think of things that would have been handy and make a list so you are not without next time.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Also wanted to add, just DON'T do dumb things.

I've seen several photos of people in Texas standing on their frozen swimming pools & hot tubs.
Unless the pool is frozen all the way down and verified with ice depth tool, it is very foolish to stand on ice.

There was also a photo of people spreading grits on the ground for traction, gleeful that it worked.
You know what else works, grits in your belly!!! Don't waste food during times of emergency!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Also wanted to add, just DON'T do dumb things.

I've seen several photos of people in Texas standing on their frozen swimming pools & hot tubs.
Unless the pool is frozen all the way down and verified with ice depth tool, it is very foolish to stand on ice.

There was also a photo of people spreading grits on the ground for traction, gleeful that it worked.
You know what else works, grits in your belly!!! Don't waste food during times of emergency!

and remember what you put on the ice will still be there when the ice melts.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Be aware of storm alerts BEFORE they happen and stock food that doesn't take preparation.

IF YOU TAKE MEDICATIONS, CHECK YOUR SUPPLY (and argue with your pharmacist if it looks like you'll run low during the period of bad weather)

Yeah, this is your time to indulge in buying all the Oreos you want. Also peanut butter, bread (we use flour tortillas since they don't go moldy as quickly as bread),****cereal****, and so forth. Leave taps running just a trickle (we all know this one.) Get some candles and know where your matches are (power outages happen. I live in Texas. I'm REAL familiar with them this week.)

Big plushy bathrobes are great for keeping warm!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Not to derail, but the thing that bugs me the most is...

This should be blasted on the air waves, leaders *cough* should be working on guidelines on how to prepare and survive these events.

Not writing #ing EOs and taking advantage of citizens freezing to death to fatten foreign interests pockets.

Just because you're president, doesn't mean you have to have some new bill to introduce or some back assward press conference to protect criminals.

The people need a symbol of support, to rely on. You know,

Hope.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Big plushy bathrobes are great for keeping warm!

Totally agree with that!!

Also, solar lights are awesome inside. Charge them during the day and bring them in.
It is often cloudy, gray and sometimes it seems like there is no sun here but those lights still charge up pretty well.
I purchased a bunch of new ones for my front yard. They are in my dining room and just the light from the window is enough to charge them and light at night. They are a very cheap form of lighting!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure what they're called, solar tubes or something.

But we have a couple installed, generally in rooms with little to no natural light from windows.

Helps greatly with lighting.

Not a huge thing, but might starve off some fires or awkward trips to the bathroom without needing a candle or flashlight.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

Not to derail, but the thing that bugs me the most is...

This should be blasted on the air waves, leaders *cough* should be working on guidelines on how to prepare and survive these events.

I agree to a certain point.
That being said, we are living in a time of more information than ever in the history of man.
As a great meme pointed out,

We have the internet with endless information,
what do people look at, Cat Memes!!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Agreed, but to an extent, it's not just people failing.

How often can you Google for some simple information without some opinion piece shoved down your throat. Even for as simple as looking up wet or dry dog food. You'll get atleast 3-4 articles before actual results.

Or better yet, try googling any kind of symptom without the typical first page results telling you, you're dying.

Also, with electricity being an issue, they need to make use of radios. If you don't have a battery radio for emergencies, might wanna grab one before getting locked in.

Edit: And if it gets really dire, don't separate into different rooms. Pick a room near the center of the house for everyone to be in. Don't go off to 3 different bedrooms in different corners of the house.

Easier to warm a single room, then 4-5. Even if you can't stand your family without entertainment. (Different issue entirely)
edit on 2/17/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

How often can you Google for some simple information without some opinion piece shoved down your throat. Even for as simple as looking up wet or dry dog food. You'll get atleast 3-4 articles before actual results.

Very true! There was a Black Mirror episode on that exact thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Your car is a power source. Buy and inverter and attach it to your vehicle. They sell them in several wattages. You can run some appliances off of them depending on wattage. Coffee makers can make hot water this way. Small space heaters that draw 500 to 1500 watts can be run off of a large enough inverter.
Make sure you have 5 gallon gas cans to keep your vehicle full of fuel while using it as a power source.

Candles are your friend. Find long burning ones.

Confine yourself and family to one room.

Shut off all parts of the house not used.

Know where your main water shut off is to your house if pipes burst.

Lots of blankets needed.

I have a small 900 watt generator for running lights and, charging phones and laptops. It can power a toaster and a coffee maker as well.

Fire wood for your suburban fire pit is nice. Keep several bundles of wood on hand. You can melt and boil snow to purify it.

edit on 17-2-2021 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-2-2021 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Great thread!

When camping in cool or winter weather I learned to stay hydrated and always keep your head covered.

Hydration helps the body stay warm. Some people don’t drink water before they get in their sleeping bag because they don’t want to get up and pee in the cold. Not worth it. Hydrate!

Most heat loss is from your head, keep it warm and your body will stay warmer.

Some fairly inexpensive items that are a must.

Water filter. I have a Berkey and enough filters to last a lifetime.

Kelly Kettle. It’s like a soup thermos with a chimney up the middle. Water can be boiled in no time with very little fuel usage. You can burn nearly anything in them!

Hot water bottles. They are cheap. Have lots on hand.

As JAGStorm mentioned, CO detectors.

You may need to use open flam for heat or cooking so fire detectors and extinguishers are a must as well.

Learn to use your gear before you need it and keep a positive attitude in the cold. Never give up!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Some hints:

- Clay flower pots are your friend.
- Gloves, are like American Express, never leave home without them!
- Layers are good, any kind; and the more the better. (both under and on top).
- Never depend on a battery (no matter how cool, or what kind it is).
- Nothing electric works in an emergency situation...ever.
- Fire is important, but not nearly as important as shelter from the elements
- Drinkable water is invaluable...always! (i.e. don't let it freeze)
- Don't worry about food...worry about water. Always!

And there's more...

- Always know water is the heaviest thing you will ever deal with in a survival situation. Plan for it. Save the most of your energy to get, and keep, drinkable water as part of your survival situation. 99.5% of all people in survival situations die due to lack of hydration. Water is KEY! Water will keep you warm, it will keep your muscles from seizing up...water is LIFE!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
snip]!

Please contribute, you don't know who you might be helping.
edit on 17-2-2021 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread yesterday. Sorry if they are repeats. Lots of great tips so far here!

“Just got through a few weeks of close to -40c here which is close to the same in Fahrenheit.

“Warmer” now at -18!! Just finished some outside chores and car maintenance. Brrr!

For our friends from normally warm climates here are some basics if they haven’t been mentioned.

Run a water tap or two at a trickle to keep a flow to avoid water freezing.

Keep your thermostat at a higher temperature to fend off the cold and to gain some time if your heat goes out.

Open cupboards under sinks in the bathroom and kitchen to let heat into those spaces where water pipes are.

Close your blinds and drapes for extra insulation unless the sun is shining directly in your windows. Lots of heat in sunlight.

Park your car with the radiator facing down wind.

Roll up blankets and put them at the inside base of all exterior doors.

Good luck and if you have any specific questions don’t be afraid to ask us northerners. “

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   

No, you're correct...but I know who will NOT be helping!!

Hence my post!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I experienced a power outage for over a week with below zero temps.

I think if I ever had to go even 24 hours in below zero temps, i'd probably just curl up into the fetal position and hope for a quick death.

Sounds horrible... how could anyone even handle that kind of cold?
edit on 17-2-2021 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Good thread!

I remember my Dad and me setting out on a hike, and making a snow cave. It wasn't a survival situation. My Dad worked for the Forrest Service, and he was looking at snow cornices. He wanted to walk it and took me along. Dad carried emergency foil blankets and a tarp and such, but he wanted to show me some things. I was amazed to be inside a bank of snow, and to be WARM with such a small fire inside. He'd dug into a sidehill and laid Spruce limbs down. There was a smoke hole and we were toasty inside. He'd split some fallen trees and built a small fire on top of them. It was all like magic to me.

I remember going to sleep and I was cold. He had me crawl into his bag with him and we woke up hot, because it had snowed overnight and mostly closed us in.

In a city situation, people can hole up in a small room, a bathroom or even a closet and -- as you say -- layer and use mattresses to close off the space. People can generate enough heat to warm a very small space.

I grew up in a two bedroom house that was heated by a wood stove in the kitchen. In the winter, I slept with two pointers, who needed the heat as much as I did. Mom and Dad's room was right off the kitchen. In those days, they tended to keeping the children away from the core of the house, noisy things that they are.

These are skills that might seem old-fashioned and unnecessary to some folk. That's okay, but better to figure it out and not need it. Have lots of couches? Make a couch cushion enclosure. The air and O2 will flow, but if you can contain the heat loss, you can stay warm.

I never liked cotton close to my skin, because if I got too warm and sweat, it would soon cause a chill. I like nylon or rayon as a base layer. Never did own any silk, but it sounds like it would serve well.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
With the cold in full swing it may be too late for Tips.

Got a good friend down south who couldn't fathom how we survive up here. She helped me with rounding out my prep stuff & I insisted she get some typical cold weather stuff. She's currently loving her ice cleats, SmartWool socks, heated mattress pad, thick fleece men's lounge pants.

The ice cleats made feeding her livestock possible without breaking a hip.

I feel for everyone down there cause unless you know 'bout some of this stuff it's just make do with what you have.
They don't even sell the same kind of all weather tires down there OR snow tires. I certainly don't know how to do 118 degree heat with humidity so I don't expect people to know how to do 0 degrees.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join