It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GOP is back on the road to political suicide.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: incoserv

If the GOP moves more to the center and embraces Donald Trump as its leader, Democrats are toast in 2022 and beyond.

They can't do both at the same time--that's their dilemma. That means that some fraction of the current Republican party will continue to align with Trump (looking at you, Lindsey Graham) and some fraction will splinter off (looking at you Mitt Romney, Mitch McConnell). Neither splinter will be large enough, by itself, to win a national election, even with the electoral college advantage. This was predictable in 2016.

Hence the inevitable reality of this political suicide of which I speak.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Then The Donald came along and threw a monkey wrench into that machine. Suddenly there was a surge of conservative ideology.

Trump is not a conservative, he's a populist. If anything, he paid lip service to most traditional conservative ideology.

Yeah, but he really drained that swamp.

Oh no, no he never, my mistake.

He drew the attention of the swamp for 5 years now, not to mention who knows how many more, and that's not nothing.

Sometimes when you throw a log in the fire it takes a while to catch.

I really wish he had drained the swamp, but the same people are there, holding on to power for their own gain and the advantages of all their lobbyist donors.

We The People let crap build up for decades, allow corruption to take root over many, many successive election cycles, vote with apathy, ignorance and greed as our primary platforms, then expect somebody to come in and clean up our mess in four short years? .

That’s strange. Absolutely no dig at you, but today on another thread relating to the millions without power because of the freakish cold weather, many people were pointing fingers at Biden and the Democrats.

Maybe because they are a bit blinded by the fact that no POTUS has enough power to change much during their 4/8 year tenure. Oh, except start wars.

Trump was good at not staring wars, I will definitely give him that.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 04:09 PM
link   

There's no doubt in my mind of what the folks who are in positions of power today want to happen and want the new system to look like. Just give 1984 a read (or re-read, as the case may be) for a good picture of that.

Sigh.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

The 1 area of the nation that does not experience any sort of economic crises is in and around the Washington DC area.

This is the most financially stable area in the nation. The Swamp.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Whether is motives have been truly altruistic or built only on ego and self-aggrandizement (and I suspect a blend of the two)

I think you are much closer to the truth with that statement, then you are away from it.

I think he ran because he loves this country, and he loves himself. And if his ego was to shrink a bit now that he has been POTUS, it would be great if he could pump ideas into the mix and leave his online opinion out of the mainstream for a bit.
I said a while back, if it was Morgan Freeman presenting Trump's ideas, he would be the best president ever in some eyes.

He needs to realize his delivery is a bit harsh, but his ideas are sound.
edit on 16-2-2021 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Trump was the reason the GOP is committing suicide. He is extremely corrupt and out for himself! He is also a liar and a bully.

Now he, and he alone, has started a civil war in the GOP which will weaken them greatly.
edit on 16pmTue, 16 Feb 2021 17:26:40 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I was under the impression that Trump was the reason the GOP is committing suicide. He is extremely corrupt and out for himself! He is also a liar and a bully.

Now he, and he alone, has started a civil war in the GOP which will weaken them greatly.

No. The GOP was committing suicide back in and before 2016. He came on the scene and revived the few folks still holding on for hope.

Actually, the attacks on Trump were the best thing that the progressives ever did for the GOP. For once, even the moderates were forced to circle the wagons for a while.

How is he a bully? How is he corrupt? People like you say that, but I never see any facts, short of hurt feelings because he's orange and sometimes he don't talk nice.

Somehow, shutting down whole segments of the political dialog is not bullying, though, right? Encouraging and even sponsoring riots across the country where people are killed and private and gov't property is destroyed is not corrupt and bullying, right?

Progressives are the most un-self-aware lot on the planet, maybe ever.
:
edit on 2021 2 16 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Then The Donald came along and threw a monkey wrench into that machine. Suddenly there was a surge of conservative ideology.

Trump is not a conservative, he's a populist. If anything, he paid lip service to most traditional conservative ideology.

Yeah, but he really drained that swamp.

Oh no, no he never, my mistake.

He drew the attention of the swamp for 5 years now, not to mention who knows how many more, and that's not nothing.

Sometimes when you throw a log in the fire it takes a while to catch.

I really wish he had drained the swamp, but the same people are there, holding on to power for their own gain and the advantages of all their lobbyist donors.

We The People let crap build up for decades, allow corruption to take root over many, many successive election cycles, vote with apathy, ignorance and greed as our primary platforms, then expect somebody to come in and clean up our mess in four short years? .

That’s strange. Absolutely no dig at you, but today on another thread relating to the millions without power because of the freakish cold weather, many people were pointing fingers at Biden and the Democrats.

Maybe because they are a bit blinded by the fact that no POTUS has enough power to change much during their 4/8 year tenure. Oh, except start wars.

Trump was good at not staring wars, I will definitely give him that.

That's because the Biden admin is setting the country up for more of this. It will get worse.

When paying for gasoline for your auto and electricity for your home and covering the increased taxes coming your way doesn't leave money to put enough food on the table, you get back here and we'll talk about it at length.
:
edit on 2021 2 16 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: incoserv
There is one thing you can say about the Trump presidency. Unlike Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush II, or Obama, the American people had the same rights and liberties when he left office as when he went in. Of course, Biden is already looking to change that.

The same? More. Better. Much more and much better. And it has only taken Biden a month to go back to where we were before.

That, my Marvel-ous friend, is why I still have hope that it isn't over.

Thomas Wictor is convinced. He makes a good argument. All I can do is just hope he is right. I'm going to maintain this hope until at least my birthday (3/7). I don't know how much longer I can maintain it after that. But what else is there?

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join