It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts urge Colombia to cull drug kingpin Pablo Escobar’s hippos Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Pablo escobars hippos are in hot water again after killing a farmer last year. Sure. I understand why the hippos shouldn’t be there but I have always loved the fact that they are. I guess Im selfish. Not vegetarians. Not in the slightest. Omnivores. They will eat anything when hungry enough. Colombia’s ecological diversity is astounding and with hippos in the mix, that’s quite a country.

Free the hippos!

the Colombian government has attempted to control the reproduction of the animals, the number of hippos in the wilds around Puerto Triunfo has continued to increase from 35 to as many as 80 in the last eight years. Scientists behind a study on the spread of the animals now say the choice is between culling the ancestors of the drug kingpin’s semi-aquatic specimens - or see numbers reach around 1,500 over the next 14 years, threatening biodiversity and risking citizen safety.

edit on 16-2-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
They don't belong there, and they are dangerous, dangerous animals. They're one of the most dangerous animals in Africa. Too bad they're not in Venezuela, that would rapidly solve the problem.
edit on 16-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Question: Are these hippos the hungry, hungry type?

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No human deaths yet. So I would suspected they are in waiting.

According to the ripleys believe it or not webpage that I refuse to do any more fact checking on. These dudes tried to introduce hippo meat into the American diet last century.

Don’t sleep on what the NYT called

“Lake cow bacon”

RIPLEY
edit on 16-2-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'm not sure which supervillan wins the "bizarre unforseen consequences" trophy for animal mayhem,Hitler Or Escobar.

Hitlers legacy: Raccoons wild breeding in German forests.
Escobars legacy:Marauding hippos wild breeding in the Columbian Jungle.

I guess hippos have the potential to bring more mayhem,so Pablo wins the trophy.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Question: Are these hippos the hungry, hungry type?

All hippos are the hungry, hungry type. To echo what ketsuko said, they are extremely dangerous. I had a friend who had worked as a ranger at Kruger National Park in South Africa. He used to talk about how the most dangerous animal was not the lion or the wildebeest or even and angry elephant; it was the hippo. More people, he said, died by hippo attack every year than all the other animals combined, if I recall correctly.

They definitely should be eliminated. I wonder what hippo meat tastes like. (That's my Cajun heritage coming out.) Being omnivores, I'd guess it might not be too tasty.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
All hippos are the hungry, hungry type.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Don't underestimate the trash panda, man.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

People eat bear. They're omnivores, and we eat fish all the time.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My brother has eaten it and he says it's actually pretty good.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I’d eat some lake bacon. Where’d he pick it up? Giant eagle? Ralphs? Fairway?

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Safari. Mofo goes all over the world and hunts/eats the craziest stuff. When I still had my two places he'd send me things like Ibex or Gazelle.

edit on 16-2-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

So not fairway... gotcha. Pretty amazing. So, which is better? Ibex or the gazelle?

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Could you imagine if Pablo's hippos were to become like the Asian river carp of the S. American continent? Only lots bigger and way meaner.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
So not fairway... gotcha. Pretty amazing. So, which is better? Ibex or the gazelle?

Gazelle.

But really elk.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Interesting, I would think ibex would be somewhere in the goat/lamb/mutton mix and then you'd have to think the lichen/moss diet would do something to all that.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Interesting, I would think ibex would be somewhere in the goat/lamb/mutton mix and then you'd have to think the lichen/moss diet would do something to all that.

Yeah, it was like really lean goat.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Escobar needed the hippos' big bellies to get rid of his dead enemies, so they already have a taste for human flesh.
Perhaps a workable solution to control their reproduction would be to inject them with Pfizer or Moderna's experimental mRNA doses.

new topics

top topics

join