It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient large-scale brewery discovered in Egypt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I am struck by the similarity of the construction of the vats to the large stones at Gobleke Tepe.... Except I think the ones at Gobleke would be even larger... I'm imagining a summer time party of brewing, distilling, hunting and procreating in 10,000 BC!

ETA...
Just went and looked at some pics of GT... not really anything that i see in actual pictures that look like giant vats... but the use of a circle of large stones to support another structure is what made me make the connection...
edit on 16-2-2021 by Sahasrara because: went back and looked at pictures of GT...

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Whatever happened to phage? I used to find him rather informative in my lurker days on ATS. It's a shame to think he vanished but I haven't seen anything from Phage in a long time.

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
What they don't like to admit is that the pyramids were actually designed to be cubes,but everyone was drunk and so we ended up with pointy things instead.

Phage and I figured this out awhile ago while discussing pyramidal structures in Sumeria.

The pyramids were actually built as large beer coolers for the aliens.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: gb540

Well egyptians enjoyed their beer. Even better it was supplied by the state. Be nice if the government bought my beer.

You don't want government beer!

What do you want that for? To wash down some government cheese?

The government can't afford to brew any beer I will drink, although they may have a covert brewing laboratory that makes experimental beers. I'd sign up for Guinea pig in that lab.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Morbidlynx

Phage is alright by me. He can bring a discussion back down to Earth when it gets too far out there.

I 'd like to see his opinion on beer brewing. He has a somewhat dry humor though, but it works for him.

I wonder if his ears are ringing because we're talking about him?

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
As a former homebrewer I honestly wonder. Could here be any chance of extracting any of the yeast strains they used? Yeast is very very robust and can withstand a tremendous amount of stress. Extreme (boiling or freezing) temperatures will kill it but if buried?

One can only wish lol

Yes, I know it's not very likely but a man can dream, ya know!!??

Read Carlie Papazian!

Not only did they remake the yeast from the fermenters but they followed the recipe. He said that it was very similar to Sierra Nevada pale ale!

Until Anheiser-Bush, they say Egypt had the largest brewery in the world. They had so much grain being produced that they needed a way to store it (the article is rubbish and an “alcohol is evil” hit piece. Egyptians built the pyramids on beer and bread!)

The transmutation of grain to beer echoed the story of Osiris. Beer was revered as an example of “god’s interaction with man”. It was sacred.

Btw, it gets cold in the desert at night. If you keep your beer from getting hot during the day, you could keep it cold enough to krause (add a small amount of unfermented beer to “flat” beer, seal the vessel, let the beer ferment the green beer, and you have lightly fermented beer! (That is how Deschutes carbonates Black Butte Porter. And Sierra Nevada too. Homebrewers spend time growing yeast from their bottles to pitch). Just saying, if there is a will...))

edit on 16-2-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: No reason

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Surprisingly, good beer is actually good and still quite drinkable warm. The American adjunct lagers are terrible cold or warm. My personal favorite for special occasions is a bourbon barrel stout. There's a brewery down the street that makes amazing stouts but sadly they've been closed during the outbreak.

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Poor bastards didn’t have carbonation though. Flat beer is disgusting.

But worse yet, was the beer cold after cutting grass on a 114°F day in the Middle East?😢

Apparently though, the poms still drink warm beer till this very day... maybe as a sacrifice to tribute the ancestors who lacked the technology of refrigeration.

Or it may just be that a good beer tastes good warm.

Not like the crap beer America has today.

We chill it to work around the gag reflex.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Ill actually agree with this American brewers are not great with lagers. But thats because we like cold beers where when i went to germany they would serve them warm sometimes with whip creme. Yes i was shocked but must admit it was good. Germans have been brewing beer for over 2,000 years so they have had alot of practice. Somehow here pilsners became the dominate beer. But the best i ever had was Kolsch its a hybrid between ale and lager.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It basically came down to profit and cost. The adjunct lagers are made from a high percentage of rice. I'm lucky that there's a god number of quality brewers near me. Stone Brewing and Flying Dog are quite close. And then there's the town brewery/pub that i hope survives the crappy economy. I think my favorite beer currently is Flying Dog's Raging B*tch.

Generally i find that almost all beers that aren't american piss beer are actually enjoyable in one respect or another. My preference tends to be in the citric IPA styles and super dark stouts. Light beer is boring to me. Id rather be sober than drink Budweiser to be honest.

originally posted by: dragonridr

Ill actually agree with this American brewers are not great with lagers. But thats because we like cold beers where when i went to germany they would serve them warm sometimes with whip creme. Yes i was shocked but must admit it was good. Germans have been brewing beer for over 2,000 years so they have had alot of practice. Somehow here pilsners became the dominate beer. But the best i ever had was Kolsch its a hybrid between ale and lager.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   

“Beer: Helping ugly people have sex since 3000 B.C.”
W. C. Fields

One night at Cheers, a TV Sitcom, Cliff Clavin said to his buddy, Norm Peterson: "Well, ya see, Normy, it's like this .. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But, naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers!”

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

flat hot beer, ya I have drank it like that a few times in my drinking days. not recomended but when in Rome refer to the locals
and it still does the trick

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join