It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get served last

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I work in a bar and grill as a cook, but when I'm not busy, I'm helping the bartender. I serve customers, restock beer, just whatever needs doing to keep me busy and not just standing around being bored. We have some customers who think they're special and when we're busy,
[ and even when we're not ] will bang their bottle or glass on the bar to get our attention.
That is irritating AF to a bartender.
I have purposely walked right past them to serve someone else.
Just hold your empty in the air and we'll be on it. Or sit it at the back of the bar, we'll notice and get you another as quick as we can.

Just yesterday, I had a guy who banged his bottle on the bar and then sat it at the back. I walked by, grabbed the bottle, threw it away and went on to serve someone else. He said "Hey, I want another beer"
I said "Yeah, be there in a minute".....and went on to serve 3 other customers.
I understand you want another beer/drink, but you're not the only one in the place and we'll get to you as soon as we can.

Yeah, banging your bottle or glass on the bar will get our attention, but not the kind you want "cause I guarantee you'll get served last.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I understand that one all too well. We have people at the bank that act similarly. Whenever you send in a drive-thru tube, depending on how busy we are it could be a bit, but the moment someone is available we'll go over to the tube, look inside, then greet the customer via the mic. It happens every single time. Yet, for some reason, some people feel they need to press the call teller button the moment they send the tube, as if we won't talk to them about what they want. Not only that, but some people will literally spam the button as if they're playing Space Invaders and the enemy is about to land.

Those are the ones I'll make wait, even if just a tiny but. I'll grab their tube and reeeeaaaaallllyyyyy inspect what's inside before I greet them.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Over here in the UK the etiquette in a pub / bar is just like queuing – first person is first served. Good bar staff will do things in order and if they are unsure, they will ask. People will generally point to the person who was there before them. It's rare in my experience for people to push in and expect preferential treatment.

People pushing in (for anything) is a social no-no in the UK. We like our order, eh?

Looking forward to going to a pub again!!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Can't put a sign ?

It's been decades since last time I went to a bar. Never saw someone banging the bottle on the bar.

Since when that is allowed???

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Good advice.
NEVER a good idea to be rude to people who are serving you food or drink.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   

This is a perfect example of why I would never be able to work in the service industry.

One beer bottle suppository coming up...

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
how2getserved1st:

Pretip.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Huh, not being heavy bar goers, we had no idea there was a procedure.

In the few times in the past when we've sat at a bar, we've just pushed our empty glasses forward to where they could be easily seen and waited patiently, assuming they'd eventually be noticed, and they always have.

Also ... please and thank you tend to work out well too and a tip.
edit on 13-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Over here in the UK the etiquette in a pub / bar is just like queuing – first person is first served. Good bar staff will do things in order and if they are unsure, they will ask. People will generally point to the person who was there before them. It's rare in my experience for people to push in and expect preferential treatment.

People pushing in (for anything) is a social no-no in the UK. We like our order, eh?

Looking forward to going to a pub again!!!!!

Damn straight. Real Ale from a can isn't the same and missing the social interaction.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Exactly, hence the pushing the empties forward and waiting. You're there to talk and have a social time, so if it takes some times to get your refill, then who cares? You're there hanging with your friends anyhow.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The problem is that in a bar...some people turn mean and angry as they get drunker.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
The problem is that in a bar...some people turn mean and angry as they get drunker.

True that. I had a teammate in college who did that. Three beers and the guy flew off the handle over anything.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Switch them to Grainwave Belgian-Style White Ale De-alcoholized Cannabis Beer.

99% less violence.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: IAMTAT

True that. I had a teammate in college who did that. Three beers and the guy flew off the handle over anything.

Bear mace, his only weakness.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

It's always possible that occasionally, that 'rude' person actually could have already been sitting/standing there quietly/peacefully waiting for 15 minutes or more, while being completely ignored the entire time, and also seeing other people come up, get served, and walk away. Eventually, they reach the point where they feel that they have to make noise, otherwise they will not be seen.

Most of the time, you're probably right and they're just being an ass, but maybe not always.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: IAMTAT

Switch them to Grainwave Belgian-Style White Ale De-alcoholized Cannabis Beer.

99% less violence.

I don't know why do we need to be weird just to get a beer.

Want Cannabis? Smoke it.

Want beer ? Drink it.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Holding the glass or bottle up when the bar tender is looking your way is all you need. Or if they are busy, go to the area near where they are just handing them out to get one, get off your lazy as and try to reduce their workload so they do not have to walk so far and it often works. I never worked in a bar but did help out at bars when things got busy because I knew the bar owners and bar tenders. In the Copper Country they did not have barmaids, and if they did there was usually only one working, so people went up to the bar to get drinks, often ordering for the whole table at one time. That was back in the seventies and eighties when things were more sociable, society has got much degraded since then.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Not everyone know your protocol.
Do you not think ignoring the customers in a rude manner affects you tips?

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yep! Good on ya.

“Actions speak louder” and all

I use to do the same thing.

Like snap your fingers again, wave me over some more!

Brt....

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Not everyone know your protocol.
Do you not think ignoring the customers in a rude manner affects you tips?
Not with people like that.

They don’t tip...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join