It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are hallucinations accurately portrayed on TV?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Probably a simply question to ask than to answer. I've seen a lot of movies and TV shows where people experience hallucinations that seem 100% real to them, and which seem to be interacting with them in a natural way. Sometimes it's even a twist in the story that a person was an hallucinations all along and the audience doesn't know it.

For example, you might have a movie where two soldiers are on a mission to save a third soldier, and the twist is that only one of the soldiers is a real person, the other is an hallucinations of a soldier who died years ago. Or where a character dies half way through a movie and the main character sees them as an hallucinations for the rest of the movies encouraging them or giving them advice.

Is this actually something that happens in real life, or is it just something that's made up by Hollywood?

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Nothing is accurately portrayed on TV.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies
Movies do exectly the same thing with dream sequences. Dreams in movies have length and internal consistency, unlike real ones, because it's easier to shoot and it suits the movie-maker's dramatic purposes that not even the audience can tell the difference before he wants them to. So hallucinations won't be any more authentic in their style. It's just a movie convention, like swords making metallic noises when they come out of scabbards which would not have been metal, or characters being faced with some natural menace like a tidal wave and pointlessly shouting "No!"

edit on 13-2-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:20 AM
link   
No, not really, same way they don't do dreams right either.

I sometimes wake up and Hallucinate spiders either on my walls, Ceiling or coming at my face. They then just fade away into nothing after a short while.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
Is this actually something that happens in real life, or is it just something that's made up by Hollywood?

No. That kind of BS doesn't happen in real life.

This is how Corporate Controlled Media softens the mind.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner

Especially on the TV "News"!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Ugghhh. Hypnogogic hallucinations. So creepy. Did you know, that in people who experience hallucinations of that type, spiders are the number one thing reported to be seen?

I had this condition while pregnant and I have seen it accurately displayed on TV, but dramatized.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Lol right on the money!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Its totally possible to hallucinate a person who isn't actually there.

I'm a bit of a veteran-I have had halluciations from: High fever,total exhaustion,high altitude,and other recreational/shamanic activities.

The high fever/recreational ones I knew were not real,although they seemed real.
These were mostly visual disturbances/colours/patterns.
The ones I had from total exhaustion were next level-I saw small sliver goblin like beings,and they were helping me keep going when I should have collapsed from exhaustion(so it seemed at the time).
I also saw a mother and two kids flying a kite-I could hear them speaking,laughing and hear the kite flapping in the wind.
This was clear as day to me,and seemed real-but my climbing partners told me there was nothing there but the snow storm.I don't believe in ghosts...but those people looked real to me.
Same trip,I saw a gigantic black/irridescent/fractal praying mantis god emerge from behind a huge mountain.
I could hear it making otherworldly noises,and it was looking at me-there was drool dripping off its mandibles.
All those were great experiences,and I sort of knew they were not real-except for the kite kids.They still freak me out a bit.

But the ones that have been the most weird,disturbing and awesome at the same time were the hallucinations from using shamanic/ethnogenic plants.

I met an entity that is impossible to fully describe but I will try-

It was a female,and she was at giving vibes of the most beautiful love,warmth and protection that I have ever felt-but at the same time was the most terrifying and malevolent lovecraftian looking beast I have ever seen.
She exists outside our reality,but can influence and observe.
I call it the "cosmic vortex crone."
When I "met" this entity,it was on a grand scale-universal/other dimensional maybe-the entity was bigger than galaxies,and her mouth was wide open and was sucking in-folding in- all time and space,kind of like a black hole.
It noticed me and was trying to pull me in.The noise it was making was more terrifying than I can describe.But there was a deep love there as well..so weird.

That experience stayed with me-although I think it was most likley my brain playing tricks,It was the kind of experience that religions are made from.

But if that..thing is our God-then we are beyond all help or hope.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Knew there was a word for it, I read a little on it somewhere years ago. It is creepy as hell when it happens, especially the ones coming at my face!

Makes you wonder why Spiders? I'd prefer a million other things.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If you take high amounts of lsd. But drug sequences are almost always highly exaggerated. Fear in loathing was amazing.

There was one sequence where the room was full of lizards. I think that is possibly real. (Hunter Thompson wrote it in the book, took lots of lsd, but was also considered to exaggerate a bit).

I say possibly real because i went diwn a Reptillian rabbit hole for a few nights. And a few supposed witnesses claimed they saw reptillians in vegas under focused extra-sensory ability.

I thought it was a funny trip thompson illustrated, but im wondering if the lsd revealed a world of shapeshifters.

edit on 13-2-2021 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

Wow.. interesting examples. I had sleep deprivation hallucinations before. Saw things while i was driving. Bad idea !

BTW what plants did you use? Ayuhausca?

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12
The scary/awesome one with the vortex crone was from Salvia Divinorum,the "divining herb" or "the Shepherdess."
It is known as a female entity/goddess by the south American tribes who use it for divination and spiritual purposes.

It took a few tries over a year or so-I was getting close and feeling a kind of presence-definitley a female presence,the first few goes but it felt like I wasn't allowing myself to be fully "taken".
But that last experience-I was fully taken..its hard to describe but if you can imagine a time when you first felt real true love,multiply that by infinity-while at the same time a feeling of terror,darkness and evil which can "see" your soul..
But you are by then not in your physical body,or in the physical realm at all-its somewhere else.

Although the "location" feels so far removed from reality-a kind of view of everything at once from a universal perspective,with a dominating evil yet fiercely beautiful and loving entity at its core-it also feels very close to and very much a part of our reality and of all life.

Very hard to describe..

I have utilised D M T as well,although not in Ayuhasca-and while that was very powerful it was not in the same class for me.
With D M T I also left my body,and I could see my "self" from a high perspective.
My "body" was a series of smooth white connected "lozenge" shaped segments,with a cord of energy which connected to a sphere of white light-the sphere was high above me,and contained my consciousness.

I'm not describing that properly either,its difficult to put into words.

Quick disclaimer:
Neither of those magical substances should be messed with IMO-they are certainly not a recreational drug.
People should do a lot of mind training/reading/meditation practices before going down that road.

Not the kind of thing to be done for a laugh with your mates-that is not only disrepectful,but could be very dangerous IMO.

edit on 13/2/2021 by Silcone Synapse because: spaces

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I don't know, Disney got my high school absolutely spot on. Right down to the singing ducks.

Did I mention that this thread was about hallucinations.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

No. That kind of BS doesn't happen in real life.

This is how Corporate Controlled Media softens the mind.

I know that 2020 might suggest otherwise, but not everything is a conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

To be honest, about 70% of that is in the eyes of the beholder. The country is so divided, and people's opinions are so entrenched that they often see what they want to see and call media bias if the news doesn't line up exactly with their personal vision of how the world should be.

I remember a few years back after one of the big school shootings. I forget which one it was. And people absolutely shredded CNN for their coverage saying that it was completely fake and that the reporters weren't even there. They took every single little glitch or bit of blurring on the news reals and created an elaborate story about CGI and green screens out of it.

Yes, the media puts a spin on everything - like calling every white person who is even slightly conservative a white supremist - but they typically report the basic facts of events correctly.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I don't know, Disney got my high school absolutely spot on. Right down to the singing ducks.

Did I mention that this thread was about hallucinations.

😂

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Generally no although depends on what’s brought on the hallucination, they take many forms, ranging from slight distortion of visuals through complete breakdown of what we call reality. Personally I found auditory hallucinations from sleep deprivation are the most troubling as they always catch you off guard and have a startling effect. Visuals I just enjoy as generally the complexity of them is fascinating and never had a bad experience.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas when he’s on '___' in the Hotel lobby is quite accurate.

Always be responsible and careful with hallucinogenic substances everyone.

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   

No. Hallucinations you can't tell the difference. When my toxicity syndrome is bad, I have them when I wake up. PITA but entertaining when you know what's going on. And I'm pissed because not one of them ever is a hot chick just some stupid damn giant spider or some such.
edit on 13-2-2021 by billxam because: added content

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse
That's creepy, did this crone give off an aura of being an outside entity, like it didn't come from you?

I've had dreams where... the best way to describe it is like being in Time Square during rush hour or whatever. People walking by in the dozens, doing their own things, faces basically nondescript.

But theres always one person standing in the crowd looking at you, you can see their feature completely (but hard to remember waking up) and they just watch you, don't move to engage with you.

Edit: As for on topic, sorry, I've not witness one accurate depiction of hallucinations or really any kind of mental illnesses accurately.

Some have come close, but wrap up in a hollywood style.

With these depictions, they can't capture the personal feeling and emotions that come with the hallucinations.
edit on 2/13/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join