It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon promotes teacher program that seeks to undo 'racism in mathematics'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
From what I've gathered, non-cracker math is the same as non-cracker meth.

But I might get slapped for that comment.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: xuenchen
The people that dreamed up this scam are geniuses 😎

In the very near future, these kids will be struggling with Chutes & Ladders like a Checkers player struggles with Chess. Chutes & Ladders will be deemed racist because it's too hard for minorities to play, and they'll move on to making potato shapes with playdough. Sadly that makes perfect sense with what we've seen coming from our education departments. The US barely ranks above 3rd world countries in education as it is. We used to be 2nd only to China.

To be fair IF you fail in china...you usually die if you cannot be educated. or cheat on a test.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Makes no sense at all. Math is math, no matter what the culture. I didn't use nine tenths of the math I was taught in school in the higher grades, that was when there was only sliderules. Now computers do the math for you, but you still need to know how to make change for a dollar and figure out how much each item is when you buy them at three for $4.98 so you don't overpay....oh yeah, that used to be part of the classes that they taught school girls, like Home-ec. Now they don't even teach that kind of stuff anymore, it is considered sexist for one sex to know what is going on. I had Bachelor living in high school, and that class was one of the most important classes in my life, it taught us how to sew things, and cook and use a washing machine. Now, why not teach kids that instead of math you will never use. Pre-algebra sucked for me, and both daughters and the grandkids, it was boring, but the advanced maths I loved, Taking the highest ones offered by our school when I went there, and testing out of all but one of the college maths I needed for my degree right away.

Cultural differences...maybe blacks are smarter and can see most of the math is not actually necessary in our lives.

Meanwhile, maybe the schools should re-evaluate the need to teach all that math and focus on vocational training for the students instead of teaching them things they will never need.....like requiring Spanish in a country where the vast majority of people speak english these days. Maybe they should require Finn or Swedish to be taught in school so someone can understand finns or swedes. I only know the swear words myself, and the stuff like bad boy or bad girl...which I heard a lot when I was a kid. I highly doubt if the vast majority of blacks know anything other than English, because they are smart enough to know that we only need that language to survive.

It is not just about Math, the whole system is messed up, I had to learn a language now, medical terminology, it often does not cross over easily to English that we learned in school, trying to translate it to what we speak in society is difficult some times. It does not translate easily.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I've been home schooling my grandson during the pandemic.
Its being conducted through Teams.

My grandson has struggled with maths for a couple of years now, to the extent I was beginning to get quite worried.
Simple maths were proving very difficult for him and he had become completely disengaged with the subject.
After viewing 'modern' teaching techniques and being very confused by them I've resorted to teaching him using the methods I was taught.
He has started improving beyond recognition, not just his maths but his whole approach has changed. His concentration and attention to detail is getting better by the day.

He'll never be a mathematical genius but he'll get by.

This is just beyond stupid.

I have absolutely no idea what goes on in the heads of these so-called education experts.
Allowing woke politics interfere with the education of our children is criminal.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Just how is mathematics racist?.

So is 1+1=2 racist? or perhaps non inclusive?

Is 2/2=1 is discriminatory?.

Soooo, ermmmm, what is this teacher going to actually teach the kid's, if empirical science is not politically correct, mathematics is racist and the truth is lies how long will civilization what is left of it survive?.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This plain stupid. Showing your working and getting the right answer have nothing to do with race in Maths, whoever suggested this has no place in education as they don't know basic history of maths, logic of maths and what info a teacher needs to see to help a student correct any mistakes.

Maths originated in Mesopotamia, the earliest mathematicians were Arab.

The Egyptians were getting the right answer and showing their working in the Rhind Papyrus thousands of years before North European/White people had heard of maths. It took the Greeks 2700 years to catch up.

The Chinese invented the concept of negative numbers, advanced geometrical theorems, Pi,

The Mayans invented the concept of '0' and gave us the moden number system, while Europeans were stuck using the impractical Roman Numeral system.

The Golden Age of Islam was one of the most producive times in Mathematical history and kept maths and science alive while Europe was in the Dark Ages.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
In the very near future, these kids will be struggling with Chutes & Ladders like a Checkers player struggles with Chess. Chutes & Ladders will be deemed racist because it's too hard for minorities to play, and they'll move on to making potato shapes with playdough. Sadly that makes perfect sense with what we've seen coming from our education departments. The US barely ranks above 3rd world countries in education as it is. We used to be 2nd only to China.

Playdough is racist

Have you seen the colors it comes in (or doesn't) ??

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
For decades America's schools have been amongst the worst in the developed world.

I think they are actively trying to worsen the score with nonsense like this.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo
Then according to this dictat it is not about math but about the people learning it. From the text one can read that they assume Black, Latino and Multilingual students are not normal educationally aware. So it seems to me that they are calling for these students to get special treatment BECAUSE of their ethnicity. That in itself is adding racism into the mix.
So they get extra tuition and if they fail they can say that they were never given the right chances.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

This is how they lower the standards to accommodate without appearing racist.

Remember, these students will become the teachers of tomorrow. The future of education looks very bleak, imo.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: ketsuko

Fire is Orange.
Orange is bad.
Get with the Program.

Therefore, so are oranges!!

Oranges are racist !!!
Boycott the produce section.....

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
This plain stupid. Showing your working and getting the right answer have nothing to do with race in Maths, whoever suggested this has no place in education as they don't know basic history of maths, logic of maths and what info a teacher needs to see to help a student correct any mistakes.

Maths originated in Mesopotamia, the earliest mathematicians were Arab.

The Egyptians were getting the right answer and showing their working in the Rhind Papyrus thousands of years before North European/White people had heard of maths. It took the Greeks 2700 years to catch up.

The Chinese invented the concept of negative numbers, advanced geometrical theorems, Pi,

The Mayans invented the concept of '0' and gave us the moden number system, while Europeans were stuck using the impractical Roman Numeral system.

The Golden Age of Islam was one of the most producive times in Mathematical history and kept maths and science alive while Europe was in the Dark Ages.

You make some interesting observations but also state some actual opinions rather than facts, mathematics goes back in ALL humanity as long as there have been human's, markings in bones found in caves in all continents from the stone age show that those ancient people both modern and previous human races had concepts of mathematics if not as advanced as it did indeed reach in Mesopotamia (they were NOT Arabs, Arabs are from Arabia while these were more accurately called Asian's or people of Asia minor).

Much that is regarded as the great works of Arab's is the work of people whom simply happened to be Muslims with Muslim names but often were NOT Arab though many of them were North African or Mediterranean.

Back to the Mesopotamians we still use there base 12 number system in our marking of time, they had the mathematical invention of a number Zero and also the decimal place.

The Zero was forgotten as it was not used by everyday humans, stone masons and carpenters for example used fractional mathematics, merchants used tally's etc and so the ADVANCED mathematics known in Mesopotamia were forgotten until much later when they were either reinvented OR re-adopted, this is were the Arab's come into it.

There was a great store of ancient knowledge in the archives of the great city of Constantinople, after the betrayal by the European crusaders whom sacked that city left it weakened the Turk's invaded (the Same Turk's for whom the 'Crusades' had first began after the patriarch of Constantinople had sent a letter asking for help to the pope in Rome because the Turk's were capturing Christian pilgrim's on there pilgrimage to Jerusalem, slitting there belly's and taking out there intestines fastening part of them to a tree they would then whip the mortally wounded pilgrim so that they would run around the tree until there intestines were pulled out and they presumably died of shock), after the conquest by the Turk's all that knowledge stored up there spread among the Arab world presumably looted by the Turkish invaders whom by the time they had taken Constantinople itself were no longer the primitive barbarian invaders whom had began to invade Byzantium just a few century's earlier, they had indeed by this time adopted the more civilized life style of there new homelands if not entirely, this dissemination of knowledge from the dusty library's of Alexandria back into the light of day so to speak then sparked the Arab renaissance and period of scientific advancement, these IDEAS then leaked into Europe eventually sparking the European renaissance.

But were did those ancient ideas come from?, could they perhaps have been legacy of the ancient Mesopotamians?.

But then there are the Chinese, ancient Druids of Europe (A truly barbaric group of EVIL priests and pagan's but still very intelligent men and there is a fascinating but badly damaged lunar calendar in France in a museum, incomplete but enough to show they were extremely talented mathematicians over 2000 years ago), the South American and North American peoples whom were more advanced than you may believe, the west and east African cultures whom as well as building great city's also had scholars, science and culture and many other's.

Essentially the concept of RACE is a modern invention, yes people noted different skin, eye and hair colour in the past BUT they were and still are basically the same when culture and identity is removed from the equation, human beings ONE race but of course many peoples and it would be both wrong and unscientific to suggest all are equal in all way's as just as with individuals some group's of people are more skilled and talented in some ability's - broadly speaking individuals are more variable when taken one on one.

Just as a tall guy may be better at changing a lightbulb, a woman may be inherently better at small needle work and while this is a generalization it has to be noted that it is mostly accurate.

Then take into account the fact that the great pyramid may be much older than the Egyptological claims of it's age, it has a huge amount of mathematics encoded into it BUT the Dynastic Egyptians were superb mathematicians as well.

Wherever there was commerce there was mathematics, wherever there was religion there was mathematics and wherever there was organized society there was mathematics, even ancient troglodytes had mathematics (And to be fair not all cave dwellers were primitive - think about the underground city's of Turkey or rather Cappadocia, Turkey is just a name placed on it today because of the last wave of migrant invaders and probably they wont be the last in the long story of humanity since more ages of man are yet to come).

As long as ancient man looked at the stars, calculated the season's for growing crops or knowing when the animals would migrate so that they could hunt them there has been mathematics.

And it is possible that humanity is far older than is claimed today.

Then what about the Indus Valley civilization of India, before the Muslim's swept through and butchered the people the Hindu Cush AKA Afghanistan was home to university's great institutes of knowledge and library's dating back to before the time of Alexander and even to before the time of Zoroaster, indeed Zoroaster only came into being in an already well established and entrenched ancient civilization sometimes wrongly called the Oxus civilizations.

edit on 12-2-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Thanks for the heads up here, I now know what a 'Latinx' is!

I read through the dismantling Racism work book.

The only other document I''ve read with such a beat and tone was a Facist pamphlet promoting racism in Britain. It made me feel dumbfounded and unclean.

In my opinion to promote this you, Google, and Oreagon should be ashamed.

At $100 a head, I suggest someone is on a nice little earner here.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
We have merged into the express lane, and have put the accelerator to the floor.
Destination?
Clown World!

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

Dude, you know it is. There is absolutely no difference between 1 mg of morphine and 100 mg. It's just more zeroes and they don't mean nothin'.

Let me try it and i'll get back to you with the results.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Diversity Training Programs get grant money. I wonder how many 501(c)3's have been set up in recent months and by whom, to conduct these types of programs. Follow the money. If you can navigate that web of connections, you would probably be amazed who gets their palms greased by implementing these types of efforts and agendas.

Well looky here:

We also wish to thank the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for their generous financial support of this project.

equitablemath.org...

Ole Bill and Mindy have their hands in all kinds of pies these days, don't they. They must think they own the world.
edit on 12-2-2021 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Here's part of the tragedy here.

At an elementary school in Philadelphia a teacher spent time teaching her kids about Angela Davis, and their lesson was to hold a simulated march into the auditorium to demand the freeing of Angela Davis. They learned all about marching and holding signs to advocate for Black Power and to free Davis. They learned about black communism, but most of those kids won't graduate with even basic literacy.

The William D. Kelley School has long been one of the most troubled in the district. The school’s student population is 94 percent black and 100 percent “economically disadvantaged.” Academically, it is one of the worst-performing schools in Pennsylvania. By sixth grade, only 3 percent of students are proficient in math, and 9 percent are proficient in reading. By graduation, only 13 percent of Kelley students will have achieved basic literacy.

So it appears that teachers have decided that it's too hard to teach kids how to earn their equality. Instead, they've gone on to teach them how to demand it or simply take it from those who earned theirs.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently encouraged teachers to register for training that encourages "ethnomathematics" and argues, among other things, that White supremacy manifests itself in the focus on finding the right answer.

Part of the toolkit includes a list of ways "white supremacy culture" allegedly "infiltrates math classrooms." Those include "the focus is on getting the 'right' answer," students being "required to 'show their work,'" and other alleged manifestations.

"The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so," the document for the "Equitable Math" toolkit reads. "Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."

I asked myself "Are we really going full retard ? ' And then I looked around at what the world has become and the answer is "Yep".
This is just insane. Getting the right answer is racist ? So now 2+2 equals whatever the hell you decide ? How about going to the grocery store and the kid behind the counter just wings it on your total ? You bought $40 worth of stuff and the kid just keeps the $50 you handed them. Hell, these kids can't make change in their head anyway. If that machine doesn't tell them, they have to stop and count on their fingers and toe..
Sorry, but there IS a right answer and a wrong one, so apparently none of those kids are gonna get a job with NASA.

So much for "modern education".

ETA : Wouldn't you just love to watch one of them try to balance a checkbook ? Better bring puppies and hot chocolate 'cause there's gonna be a lot of crying.

Again... A bunch of people in this thread freaking out without reading the ENTIRE article...

Instead of focusing on one right answer, the toolkit encourages teachers to "come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem."

It adds: "Challenge standardized test questions by getting the 'right' answer, but justify other answers by unpacking the assumptions that are made in the problem."

Long story short... Instead of..

Teacher: What is 2+2?
Johnny: 5!
Teacher: Wrong, you fail!

Instead...

Teacher: What is 2+2?
Johnny: 5!
Teacher: Good answer, but 5 is 6-1, and 4+1, and 2+2+2..
Johnny: 4?
Teacher: Yes.. you can also get 4 by 3+1!

The way the article pulls it out of context makes it see like its saying there is no such thing as a correct answer.

Thats not what they are saying at all. They are saying instead of focusing soley on the answer... focus on the process, how its done, and other ways of things to get the result, and if an answer is provided that doesnt match the desired result.. work through that response and how they got there, and where the logic takes them so they can discover where that logic goes... it allows them to self discover mistakes, and teaches critical thinking.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

"Instead of focusing on one right answer, the toolkit encourages teachers to "come up with at least two answers that might solve this problem."

Your example is changing the problem to fit the solution, whereas the statement you highlighted specifically say to come up with two ANSWERS. Ridiculous.

Here is another article that explains what they are getting at:

www.popularmechanics.com...

Bunch of gobbledygook that explains nothing, in an attempt to muddy the waters.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Of course! How "Un-woke" of you!

1+1= (anything). This should be and will be, argued! Until you surrender your belief of logic and fact.

It's not just mathematics. Even the traditional "meaning" of words, obviously need changing!

It's kinda like that (Afro) American BS!...
And that (Irish) American.. BS!

Neither had/have been "born",... in Africa or Ireland? But are "born"..as, "Native Americans".

Undoing "truth/fact or logic" all of a sudden? Becomes "racist".

Most Libs "believe", they live in a country that "belongs" to someone else! .. "Educated" folk?.. Can't argue with that kind of "education" or "logic".
Or they'd be brought to. ... Nevermind.

It just gets "mathematically" more ignorant.

Education in general. Is "uneducated...
It's more of religious sect.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join