It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon promotes teacher program that seeks to undo 'racism in mathematics'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

This doesn't add up

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
There is a delivery of 100 ten dollar bills to pay for a drug deal. It was supposed to be 100 hundred dollar bills. A drug war breaks out near you because of the deal going bad. Your house is burned down in the fighting. Can you now sue the school system for not teaching that?

No, it's your fault for living too close. Just be sure to protect the Mayor.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Please explain to me what is racist about numbers or getting the correct answer.
Math is Math and as was pointed out, do you want your Doctor to get the dosage right for you or just go with whatever feels good at the time ?

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I am very much looking forward to doing financial transactions with people who are being taught non-cracker math. I will not feel bad taking their money due to them not being able to calculate the exchange properly.

Winning!

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

What kind of math is not objective?

In what world do numbers not mean what they mean? It doesn't matter what base system you put them or anything else, the concept of 2 is the concept of 2 and it will always interact with the universe in the way that the concept of 2 does. It is 100% objective.

Honestly, math is the only 100% universal language.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Right ?
"This pencil costs 10 cents "
Idiot hands over $10 bill.
The numbers are the same so I guess they don't get change back.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Right ?
"This pencil costs 10 cents "
Idiot hands over $10 bill.
The numbers are the same so I guess they don't get change back.

$10?!?! I'd be all like, 'Yo, why you underpaying me, homes, cough up a Benji and pay for dis pensah'.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They are bitching about the "way" math is taught.
Student failure is never placed on the student or the family it's always the schools fault.
Not that schools are great or anything.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I'm more interested in how I can file my taxes this year.....

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
I'm more interested in how I can file my taxes this year.....

I'd tell them to do it with 40 grit sandpaper or a rasp. New math, baby.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I'm offended by the negative sign. I dont owe you #. You owe me some monies.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The people that dreamed up this scam are geniuses 😎

In the very near future, these kids will be struggling with Chutes & Ladders like a Checkers player struggles with Chess. Chutes & Ladders will be deemed racist because it's too hard for minorities to play, and they'll move on to making potato shapes with playdough. Sadly that makes perfect sense with what we've seen coming from our education departments. The US barely ranks above 3rd world countries in education as it is. We used to be 2nd only to China.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I'm offended by the negative sign. I dont owe you #. You owe me some monies.

I like that approach. It makes much more sense than that Freeman on the Land stuff.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

They are bitching about the "way" math is taught.
Student failure is never placed on the student or the family it's always the schools fault.
Not that schools are great or anything.

Good lord! What more could they want? They have Common Core which excels at finding 20 different ways to force students to have to break down the concept of 2+2. If they can't understand it after having to learn all those different ways to conceptualize it, then there is nothing about math they will ever understand! At least one of those ways ought to ring a bell for them.

I mean, that was the whole entire point of the idiotic Core Math approach - not every student will understand math the same way, so all students must be taught how to do math in all the ways so they all have at least one way they get it.
edit on 12-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

**EDIT AGAIN**

And even with Core Math the emphasis was on process. A student could give the right answer without giving process and get no points, but give the process and get the wrong answer and get partial credit!

What more do these people want?
edit on 12-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Let's see how far this goes when that employer of that future adult decides that paycheck only adds up to $12.32 for the week.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Let's see how far this goes when that employer of that future adult decides that paycheck only adds up to $12.32 for the week.

In $15 minimum wage land, it could happen.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: DAVID64

So, basically, white supremacy is really just intelligence? Is that what Oregon's educations team is telling us?

They kinda shoot themselves in the foot with that one, though, because it's basically them happily admitting that if proficiency within a subject equals supremacy, then that must also mean on the other side of the coin, that the lack of it means...less smart than others? That feels like the unspoken takeaway here that these dip#s want other races/non-BLM backers to say, that blacks aren't as smart as everyone else and thus math is just too hard or something -- so they can scream racism on cue.

This is called a "set-up". Way beyond bait here, bordering on entrapment.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   

It's victimhood mentality.
Nothing will ever be enough.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I don't think they're thinking.

I think we've just gotten to the point where anything bad, anything they don't think is fair, etc., is simply labeled as white supremacy without rubbing two brain cells together to think about any implicit statements that might be making - such as the ones y'all are pointing out.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
White Supremacist new weapon of choice...calculators.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join