It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Rust and Go. Learn D.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I dunno why i'm posting this on ats...but meh i'm bored.

Rust and Go have been touted a lot lately as the low level programming languages of the future that'll replace C.

Forget Rust and Go. Rust is a product of the mozilla foundation who've recently proven freedom is not on their priority list and Go...well it comes from google so # that #.

Well...first and foremost...the biggest arguments for Rust and go are some pretty lame bull# about C giving programmers too much power and something about memory leaks.

C++ is a godawful mess...so where does this leave us...

D

Or if you're searching on google(bad...), startpage or duckduckgo or something...

Dlang

Anyway...D was created by walter bright(wrote the borland c++ compiler or some such a thing) and a bunch of other people to be a less ridiculous succesor to C.

So what makes D more awesome than rust or go...well it's not owned by google or mozilla...but also....

It's got good old fashioned C style syntax, an optional garbage collector, for those memory safety needs, but the ability to disable it to get down to metal. A sensical template system understandable by mere mortals(lookin at you C++). Interfaces and abstract classes and no #ing preprocessor. #ing mixins and built in concurrancy and parallelism.

Ranges and slices instead of iterators. Which are pertty damn cool. An easy to grasp struct/class system based on copy and reference values that's straighforward and doesn't impose any specific paradigm. Speaking of which, D has first class support for procedural, functional and object oriented programming paradigms.

This great free book on the D language.

The dub package manager and a steadily growing collection of libraries available. Can be used as a scripting language with rdmd. You can build android apps in D. Has an awesome cross platform ui library dlangui.

If you already know a programming language or two and you're looking to learn something new. Give D a chance, you won't disappointed. D's a fun language to program in with a lot of power. The community's small and overshadowed by corporate sponsored languages like Go and Rust. There's been a big push in the tech industry lately towards those languages in the name of 'safety'. Those languages take away a lot of the freedoms granted by languages like C.

C doesn't give a #. C gives you direct memory and hardware access. It treats you like a big boy or girl and gives you the power to make your own mistakes. C++ is the same, it just gives you a bigger gun and makes things as confusing as possible.

Go and rust are very liberal. They want to hold your hand and tell you what your allowed to do. You wanna cast a random number, or even a string to a pointer and use it address some memory....nah...go and rust don't let you do that...that might cause a memory leak or some kinda thing...sorry.

D will stop you from shooting your self in the foot...but it'll let you # around deep down in memory and do whatever the # you want...without being a complete mindboggling mess like c++. Also it can interface with any C library without extra work and wrappers for c++ libraries are quick and easy to make comparatively.

Yeah...anyway...go learn D it's awesome.

edit on 12/2/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
I dunno why i'm posting this on ats...but meh i'm bored.

Rust and Go have been touted a lot lately as the low level programming languages of the future that'll replace C.

Forget Rust and Go. Rust is a product of the mozilla foundation who've recently proven freedom is not on their priority list and Go...well it comes from google so # that #.

Well...first and foremost...the biggest arguments for Rust and go are some pretty lame bull# about C giving programmers too much power and something about memory leaks.

C++ is a godawful mess...so where does this leave us...

D

Or if you're searching on google(bad...), startpage or duckduckgo or something...

Dlang

Anyway...D was created by walter bright(wrote the borland c++ compiler or some such a thing) and a bunch of other people to be a less ridiculous succesor to C.

So what makes D more awesome than rust or go...well it's not owned by google or mozilla...but also....

It's got good old fashioned C style syntax, an optional garbage collector, for those memory safety needs, but the ability to disable it to get down to metal. A sensical template system understandable by mere mortals(lookin at you C++). Interfaces and abstract classes and no #ing preprocessor. #ing mixins and built in concurrancy and parallelism.

Ranges and slices instead of iterators. Which are pertty damn cool. An easy to grasp struct/class system based on copy and reference values that's straighforward and doesn't impose any specific paradigm. Speaking of which, D has first class support for procedural, functional and object oriented programming paradigms.

This great free book on the D language.

The dub package manager and a steadily growing collection of libraries available. Can be used as a scripting language with rdmd. You can build android apps in D. Has an awesome cross platform ui library dlangui.

If you already know a programming language or two and you're looking to learn something new. Give D a chance, you won't disappointed. D's a fun language to program in with a lot of power. The community's small and overshadowed by corporate sponsored languages like Go and Rust. There's been a big push in the tech industry lately towards those languages in the name of 'safety'. Those languages take away a lot of the freedoms granted by languages like C.

C doesn't give a #. C gives you direct memory and hardware access. It treats you like a big boy or girl and gives you the power to make your own mistakes. C++ is the same, it just gives you a bigger gun and makes things as confusing as possible.

Go and rust are very liberal. They want to hold your hand and tell you what your allowed to do. You wanna cast a random number, or even a string to a pointer and use it address some memory....nah...go and rust don't let you do that...that might cause a memory leak or some kinda thing...sorry.

D will stop you from shooting your self in the foot...but it'll let you # around deep down in memory and do whatever the # you want...without being a complete mindboggling mess like c++. Also it can interface with any C library without extra work and wrappers for c++ libraries are quick and easy to make comparatively.

Yeah...anyway...go learn D it's awesome.

One word: Haskell

Sounds like you'd like it.

edit on 2/12/2021 by MykeNukem because: nerds

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Haskell's alright. Tried working through learn you a haskell for great good years ago. I don't like the way haskell forces a functional paradigm on you. It reminds me of java and the way they force a oop paradigm. I have to admit, i find haskell's syntax preferable to most lisp dialects, but i'm a sucker for c style syntax and the freedom to mix procedural, function and object oriented paradigms in the same program is pretty awesome.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Haskell's alright. Tried working through learn you a haskell for great good years ago. I don't like the way haskell forces a functional paradigm on you. It reminds me of java and the way they force a oop paradigm. I have to admit, i find haskell's syntax preferable to most lisp dialects, but i'm a sucker for c style syntax and the freedom to mix procedural, function and object oriented paradigms in the same program is pretty awesome.

Yea the convenience of one program, one sandbox is nice.

Charles Hogkinson had me pumped up about it lately, so thought I'd hype it. Lmao

Have a gnood g'night

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   

On the topic of one program one sandbox, i've been playing with the tic80 lately. It's an open source fantasy console programmable in lua, _javascript and others. It's modelled after 8bit computers like the commodore64 and gives you an integrated environment for writing code, producing art assets and making sound effects and music using an amiga tracker style system.

And a good night to you.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Hoskinson.

But yea, I'm thinking of learning it as well. At least solidity.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   

On the topic of one program one sandbox, i've been playing with the tic80 lately. It's an open source fantasy console programmable in lua, _javascript and others. It's modelled after 8bit computers like the commodore64 and gives you an integrated environment for writing code, producing art assets and making sound effects and music using an amiga tracker style system.

And a good night to you.

Ooo never heard of this.

I have the mini C64 for messing around....

This sounds way cooler.

Grew up with the C64 amongst others...still love coding on it.

Thanks for the data.

I'll check it out for sure.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Hoskinson.

But yea, I'm thinking of learning it as well. At least solidity.

Yea I always get him mixed with the disease.

Buy ADA while it's cheap....

new topics

top topics

join