It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Wonder What Happens If...???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
In the "Funny" department we have the following story from yours truly.

We've heard it a million times if we've heard it once about how 'curiosity kills the cat'. Sometimes, in fact most often, it's good intentions which lead to unintended consequences. Another post here on ATS reminded me of this story. So, without further delay...

On this week's episode of..."I Wonder What Happens If...?" We have to rewind all the way back to my junior year in college. Beer making was all the rage back then, so my roommate and I decided to try our hand at making some beer. I say my roommate, but he was really more of a housemate as we had rented a duplex and I lived in the upper apartment with my GF, and he lived in the lower unit, but I digress. Of course, like most college students, we didn't have any money so buying all the fancy new equipment to make beer was out of the question. We would make do with what we could scrounge up. I mean, who wants to pay $15 dollars for a plain old 5 gallon bucket, right? Nope, we'd use a pickle bucket we got from McDonald's. We had a physicist and an engineer...what could possibly go wrong?

We finally had all the stuff we needed and the night came to make the "wort" for the beer (the base for fermenting). The night to actually make our wort came around, and the wort was made successfully. The closet with the water heater in my roommate's apartment was the perfect temperature to age the wort, so into the closet the wort bucket went. It needed to age 2 weeks at least. The waiting would be the hardest part.

After a little over a week we were curious as to what was happening. Was it going good? Was our first beer a disaster? We had no idea. There wasn't any real sign of anything so far. We discussed maybe taking a peek at our concoction, but opted against the idea and decided to wait instead. A few days went by and it was my roommate's birthday and he had a few friends over. Of course, they drank many beers (from the store). Later, after everyone had gone home, I was upstairs in my apartment when I heard this house shaking **BOOOOOOOOM...CRASH!!!** And then I heard the sound of shattering glass.

Then, after a very long 15 seconds or so, I heard..."HOL...LEE...SHEE...IT!!" I didn't really want to go see what had happened, but I had to. Something had gone seriously amok down there and I needed to see what it was.

When I got downstairs I found my roommate sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, spread eagle, looking completely dazed. About 5 feet from him was a pickle bucket on its side. The lid for the bucket was down the hallway, and there was broken glass all over the floor. That was bad, but it was absolutely nothing in comparison to what I experienced next. Every single square centimeter of the kitchen was dripping beer. The ceiling, the walls, the floor...beer was everywhere! The broken glass was from the ceiling light shade which had been blown, unceremoniously, from the ceiling and had fallen to the floor. My roommate was drenched in beer and sitting in a puddle of the stuff in his catatonic state. If I hadn't known how difficult all this was going to be to clean up it would have been a hilarious sight!! Well, even so, it was still pretty hilarious...and I busted out laughing.

To make a long story short(er), we'd missed one "minor" detail in our initial beer making adventure. That one "minor" detail was...it's a really good idea to vent the wort bucket so the gases can escape. We hadn't done this with our pickle bucket, and when my roommate decided to take a peek after bragging up his beer making prowess to his buddies all night, well, the whole shootin' match went KA-BLOOOEY!

So that's it for this week's episode of..."I Wonder What Happens If...?? Be sure to tune in next week when we recount I Wonder What Happens If...I make a flame thrower out of an old fire extinguisher??

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I knew what happened as soon as I got to the boom. I thought # they didnt vent the lid.

Good story thanks for the laugh.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 10:33 AM
link   
HAHAHA reminds Me of....Saturday. I've been brewing for about 15 Years, built some equipment and bought some equipment. Have recently started aging in barrels (5 gallon Rum barrels from My, now closed, Company). First time, I checked it halfway thru, and aged 2 months came out great. So next time I did 2 barrels and was like "oh its 2 months" so I didn't check them (and relieve pressure) halfway thru, Saturday I went to harvest them and after popping the bung off one barrel, that sounded like a .22 being fired, the bung shot up to the ceiling putting a 1/4" divot in the sheetrock, a cloud of co2 came up out of the barrel and then it proceeded to geyser foam for 5 minutes all over the garage floor.

I still have another I have to figure out how to harvest without losing half of it.

Fun times!

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Too funny, great story!

I once dropped a 2 litre bottle of coke just after unscrewing the cap... It fell straight on its bottom and about two thirds of the coke spewed out like a volcanic eruption. That was a sticky mess to clean up, I can imagine what 5 gallons did to the kitchen.

By the way, did you and your buddy ever try making beer again or did the experience put him or you off the idea for life?

I just noticed, your closing bit in italics is forcing everyone's comments to be slanted... or leaning drunk!

edit on 10-2-2021 by Encia22 because: Trying to stay upright... someone please give me another beer!

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Bahaha! That must have been quite the site.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Oh yeah, we brewed lots of beer after that. We had cases of the stuff stacked everywhere. Five gallons of wort turns into about 5-6 cases of beer. We wanted to try several different kinds, so multiply each kind by 5-6 cases and you can imagine how much brew we had around the house. I think at one point we had something like 70-80 cases of beer going. We had an unlimited supply of bottles for free (I worked in a bar), so why not? When we moved out I think we gave away a couple dozen cases of beer.

The only store-bought things we had in the house were veggies and fruit. Everything else was wild game and homebrew. We lived on elk, deer, duck, goose antelope and sage grouse...and beer! Lots and lots of beer!

ETA - I must have forgotten to close out the BB Code on the Italics, hence the following posts all in italics. I've seen this before on my phone, but it looks normal on my laptop. Too late to go back and correct it now, I'm outside the edit window for the OP.

edit on 2/10/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I think it's called "burping" when you make fermented foods.

Btw, my husband discovered the hard way that cans of pop will indeed explode if left in a hot car. He had a can of Coke explode all over the back seat of our old Grand Am. Mythbusters did that one and concluded that it doesn't happen, but it does! We had it happen to us. There were spots of Coke that never came out of the back seat of that poor old car.

edit on 10-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My Dad told me about his first and only experience with wine making as a young man. He worked after school in small grocery store. Part of his job was to dispose of the older fruit. So my Dad being the enterprising young man, thought he would make wine in his Bosses basement on the sly. He and his friends were going to have a party.

He gathered up grapes in one batch and peaches in another along with yeast and well water. He had enough to fill three glass pickle jars. He hid them away in the basement where the temperature was just right. Over the weekend while the store was closed his jars exploded. Oh well, that’s my Dad.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I'm guessing it wasn't his boss's basement after that?

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think it's called "burping" when you make fermented foods.

Btw, my husband discovered the hard way that cans of pop will indeed explode if left in a hot car. He had a can of Coke explode all over the back seat of our old Grand Am. Mythbusters did that one and concluded that it doesn't happen, but it does! We had it happen to us. There were spots of Coke that never came out of the back seat of that poor old car.

A similar explosive disaster also happens when you leave a large bottle of diet Coke in the car in winter when it's -20 ...

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   
A physicist and engineer and you forgot to vent? Tsk tsk!! Lol very funny and at least you got a life long party story out of the supermess lol

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I'm glad you didn't stop brewing despite that hiccup. It looks like you had the stuff that would have made a fantastic pub/grill house!

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 02:40 PM
link   
That's so funny. It reminds me of when I tried to make alcohol from coffee. I'd put the stuff in a 2 liter bottle and forgot about venting. I went to check on it and saw that the bottle was so swollen that it was about to explode. I'd caught it just in time to avoid a huge mess.

top topics

join