It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are These Georgia "BOOMS"?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Most likely Tomcats out of Fallon. It's not a long flight from there, and there's an MOA that covers part of that area.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MayRenee

My guess would be either some kind of quake or Stacey Abrams and Fat Lady wrestling each other while Joe Dirt referees.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It's heavy weapons training at Fort Benning.

Not anything to be alarmed by. Look it up, it's not classified info.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Need to make a correction.

I said this.

I'll except and F-15, 16 or even an aggressive T-35. Leave those Tex propeller trainers out, but the rest.

Meant to say and aggressive T-38. Not T-35. That is all.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

When I was much much younger. We'd spend time out at Sand Mountain just south west of Fallon riding ATV's. Yes those F-14's would buzz that area. Loved that part better than riding quads to the top.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikhailBakunin
It's heavy weapons training at Fort Benning.

Not anything to be alarmed by. Look it up, it's not classified info.

The NG were doing LFX with 155mm cannons a couple of years ago at FT Stewart, during their annual training. The booms made the news from Augusta, way up north.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Fallon makes sense. I remember in the same area seeing those cone-shaped things, I think were called Omni Radar or something.

They were hugging the ground so close it was scary. I was probably doing 80 or so being the only one on the road, but the sonic boom shook the pickup, even at that speed.

I remember as a kid the controversy over planes from Hill Airforce Base going supersonic too close to where I lived then.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

There was an Air Force Station near Fallon that had a radar station that was eventually turned over to the FAA. It started out as a Ground Control Intercept station, to guide fighters towards bombers to intercept them. It eventually became a SAGE site, which took data from multiple radar sites, and used an IBM AN/FSQ-7 discrete component based computer to combine all the information into a picture that showed a large volume of airspace. There were 100 consoles showing radar data at each location that processed data. In the mid 60s it became a joint use FAA/ADC location and got the AN/FPS-66 radar, which when the AF shut down the station, was turned over to the FAA.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Grew up between Eglin AFB and Hurlburt AFB - 43 years. I was 10 miles from both - directly in between. Much of that time sonic booms were allowed from military craft at certain times of the year and I’ve heard the MOAB and other bombs tested. I currently live in North GA (8 years) and have heard the booms here that OP is referencing.To me, these GA booms don’t sound sonic and they sound more “guttural” than bomb testing if that makes sense. However, the rattling and shaking do happen slightly before the sound. So maybe I’m wrong about my first statement. But this just sounds different than what I heard with sonic booms growing up, before they were banned (or at least jets breaking the sound barrier were banned in my domestic area).
edit on 11-2-2021 by nicevillegrl because: Eta

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Have the same thing happening down where I live. I'm in the southwest and we have had these booms down here for the past few years. Some claim it has been longer.

Like nicevillegrl said, I can feel the ground/house shake just before the boom. Every year we hear them at around the same time. Usually November thru March. Always happens in the morning at nearly the same time and can always be heard coming from the same direction.

Strange thing is, it can be heard from towns and outskirts far away from my location, but I have never heard anyone bring it up in towns that would be closer to the direction the booms are heard.

Our local news has been interested in it as well, but we have no answers. It is not mine blasting and the various bases around here claim they have nothing to do with it. It also registers on the seismograph, just not as an earthquake.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I lived in Niceville, boy has that place changed. Roberts road, just off 20.

And you knew when the bombing range was open. Holy smokes, if you had PTSD....Eglin was not a good area to live in.

a reply to: nicevillegrl

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No, but doesn't mean it don't happen. Different flying units rotate to cover POTUS alerts as well so good excuse to bust Mach.

a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

There are areas that they can, but they have to be above 39,000 feet to minimize the signature on the ground.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It would be cool if you guys are catching an echo all the way from Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL. We have detonations all of the time here. They warn us on FB about hearing the "booms" though.

posted on Feb, 12 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Same here! Fwb in youth then Niceville as an adult in Swift Creek. Small world! And yes, I totally agree with you.

a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on Feb, 13 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I also grew up in the Eglin area, a remember the sonic booms , these do not sound the same, and air traffic has been ruled out by officials.

originally posted by: nicevillegrl
Grew up between Eglin AFB and Hurlburt AFB - 43 years. I was 10 miles from both - directly in between. Much of that time sonic booms were allowed from military craft at certain times of the year and I’ve heard the MOAB and other bombs tested. I currently live in North GA (8 years) and have heard the booms here that OP is referencing.To me, these GA booms don’t sound sonic and they sound more “guttural” than bomb testing if that makes sense. However, the rattling and shaking do happen slightly before the sound. So maybe I’m wrong about my first statement. But this just sounds different than what I heard with sonic booms growing up, before they were banned (or at least jets breaking the sound barrier were banned in my domestic area).

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: nicevillegrl
However, the rattling and shaking do happen slightly before the sound. So maybe I’m wrong about my first statement. But this just sounds different than what I heard with sonic booms growing up, before they were banned (or at least jets breaking the sound barrier were banned in my domestic area).

Do seismic waves travel faster than sound waves?
I guess it might depend on the geology of the area, maybe could explain why the rattles hit before the boom?
Edit to add: This i think would indicate an explosive/ground event rather than a sonic boom as i dont think the sonic boom from a jet would penetrate the ground enough to have much of a seismic effect.
edit on 19-4-2021 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2021 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Osirisvset

We used to get reports of small earthquakes that they eventually identified as sonic booms that were 150 miles out to sea. Sonic booms aren't always recorded, but they do sometimes show up on seismic sensors. It depends on the aircraft, the altitude, and atmospheric conditions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join