It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right-Wing Governments Are Winning at Shots in Arms; NYT Has the Sads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The NYT has a piece out about how more conservative government all over the world tend to be getting the vaccine game accomplished much more efficiently than their progressive and theoretically more enlightened counterparts.

The Left's Vaccine Problem

But over the last few weeks, as vaccination has become a top priority, the pattern has changed. Progressive leaders in much of the world are now struggling to distribute coronavirus vaccines quickly and efficiently:

Europe’s vaccination rollout “has descended into chaos,” as Sylvie Kauffmann of Le Monde, the French newspaper, has written. One of the worst performers is the Netherlands, which has given a shot to less than 2 percent of residents.

Canada (at less than 3 percent) is far behind the U.S. (about 8.4 percent).

Within the U.S., many Democratic states — like California, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York and tiny Rhode Island — are below the national average. “The parts of the country that pride themselves on taking Covid seriously and believing in government are not covering themselves in glory,” The Times’s Ezra Klein has written.

So they went from being haled as the heroes of containment (authoritarian jerks) to zeroes when it comes to vaccinating.

Meanwhile, you find success in places most would call backward.

Alaska and West Virginia have the two highest vaccination rates among U.S. states, with Oklahoma and the Dakotas also above average. Globally, Israel and the United Arab Emirates have the highest rates. Britain — run by Boris Johnson, a populist Conservative — has vaccinated more than 15 percent of residents.

What's up with you, West Virginia? You clearly know how to distribute vaccine.

And then they stumble on the problem - y'all on the left are too caught up in the process. Instead of simply throwing shots into ready arms as quickly as you can, you're busy caught up in wrangling excessively over making sure the process conforms perfectly to social equity. The blue states are so caught up in this that there are long complicated processes just to figure out *if* someone can get the shot, and if doses are left over at the end of the day, the penalties for incorrectly giving a shot are so stiff, workers are prone to simply throwing doses out instead of risking punishment - looking at you New York with your million dollar fines.

A common problem seems to be a focus on process rather than on getting shots into arms. Some progressive leaders are effectively sacrificing efficiency for what they consider to be equity.

The European Union has taken a ponderous, risk-averse approach that tries to avoid upsetting its member countries, Kauffmann points out. Similarly, many U.S. states have delegated decisions to local health officials and have suffered from “confusion and competition among localities,” William Galston of the Brookings Institution has written. State leaders in Alaska and West Virginia have taken a more top-down approach, Elaine Povich of Stateline has reported.

Some blue states have also created intricate rules about who qualifies for a vaccine and then made a big effort to keep anybody else from getting a shot. These complicated rules have slowed vaccination in both California and New York.

And once you have this all hammered out, then you have to rely on the often incompetent bureaucracy of the state apparatus to work in a timely and efficient fashion which is always questionable when it comes to government.

(post by KansasGirl removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Yesterday the reported total of new cases in the state I live in was under 550.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Darn girl you are going to get in trouble for spreading lies, you know, people are dying, people are Flocking the ERs, hospitals with intubated all over, dead, dead, covid is killing.

The sad thing is, people died everyday, every month, in a year in the US is millions of dead, but the thing that gets me the most, is how Flu has gone away, no flu, no pneumonia unless is "covid", soo convinient.

Those covid numbers need to be pushed anyway they can be pushed.

The great china manufactured pandemic and how elections got stolen, the next saga in conspiracies we will be talking about this one for years to come.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Anyone have any other ideas?

I only know what my superiors in my local GOP have told me about running a successful campaign for anything.

"Money and a strong media presence is the only way." A charismatic front man/woman is very helpful.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Don’t worry they can fix the problem.

They just need to go to the Media and cry about racism, sexism, transphobia, nazis, fascists, alt-right, white supremacy etc. etc.

That’ll fix the administrative problems i’m sure.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That’s nice, but we can’t know whether that number is good, bad, or indifferent, unless we know approximately how many people there are in your state.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Which means the actual number is probably 5.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A lot of the figures you quote would probably just come down to the fact that a lot of these countries and regions have a more effective handle on corona in the first place. So Its simply not as much of a priority to just pin all their hopes on a quick fix jab in the arm.

Like Canada having less of the population vaccinated then in the US, for example... that just kind of makes sense, doesn’t it?

Corona is far worse of a problem in the US than it is in Canada, isn’t it?

So obviously, it’d be far more of a priory to get people vaccinated in the US than in Canada.

edit on 8-2-2021 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Or just base on political agendas and media bias and exaggerations, we now know how things work in the US, sensationalism runs the show this days,

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Well, I know that New Zealand is taking the whole vaccination thing slowly.

Then again, we had a vast two new cases today. Both already in quarantine.

So we can afford caution.

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 09:56 PM
link   

No. The NYT has it right. Most of the places are mired in useless rules and restrictions and red tape instead of prioritizing getting shots in arms as quickly as they can.

The UK started with their elders and essentials and went on down the line from there.

The main pre-occupation is that the elderly are too white, so they worry that BIPOC communities will remain underserved and undervaccinated, but the conclusion, even from the writer of the piece is that maybe the equity rules are actually costing more time and lives than they're saving. That simply vaccinating top down, even if it appears to be unfair to the underserved would actually end up serving them faster in the end than the bureaucratic boondoggles the lefter governments are creating attempting to sift and sort and make sure every person is in their proper and fair place in line, no exceptions.

The problem in the EU is similar except they're preoccupied with the question of underserving their member states and maintaining the appearance of absolute equity among them.

Meanwhile, more conservative governments are less concerned about issues of equity and more concerned with simply pumping shots into arms as quickly as arms can be raised to the needles. They reason that if the vaccine delivery system is as swift and efficient as they can make it, sooner or later everyone who wants one will get one. So speed is the essential ingredient.

And even if this or that place has the entire country or state on lock down, it is a temporary solution at best and everyone's economy is suffering terribly because of it. Not to mention with new variants, it's in every country's interests to get their populations vaccinated, so the drive is on to vaccinate as quickly as possible.

Just to give you an example of what I mean, my parents live in one of those lefter government systems at present. Not a day goes by that their status in the vaccination line doesn't change. Now you would think that as both are in their 70s and my father has congestive heart failure, that they would be up in the line, but at times, they've been as low as the 4th tier of the line underneath even those serving time in the prisons.

edit on 8-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think there is some substance to this view. I have noticed this trend myself. Maybe Dems try to micromanage too much. I know communists micromanage too much and don't let people be free to pursue their own interests.

Both sides have problems dealing with COVID19. Conservatives think it's fake, refuse to wear masks, and congregate en-masse in their churches (even though the Bible warns against congregating during an epidemic).

Muslims in Iran flocked to healing shrines in hot zones to lick them en-mass, spreading the disease in the process.
edit on 08pmMon, 08 Feb 2021 22:44:30 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   
So NYT upset about rookie numbers eh?

edit on 9-2-2021 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

OK, to prove out your assertion that the spikes are caused by conservatives and even worse conservative Christians, you would have to get the research to back that all or most conservatives are Christians, are regular church goers, have been attending in-person church regularly since this all started, and do so without any social distancing and masking measures at all.

Further, once you've done that, you would have to have research linking that specific population to viral spikes in significant communities causing spread everywhere.

Otherwise, this comment of yours is as bigoted as any medieval community blaming the Jews for the Black Death.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

(even though the Bible warns against congregating during an epidemic)

Would you be so kind as to give chapter and verse? I've read the whole thing several times, and never saw that.

Thanks in advance.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I think there is some substance to this view. I have noticed this trend myself. Maybe Dems try to micromanage too much. I know communists micromanage too much and don't let people be free to pursue their own interests.

Both sides have problems dealing with COVID19. Conservatives think it's fake, refuse to wear masks, and congregate en-masse in their churches (even though the Bible warns against congregating during an epidemic).

Muslims in Iran flocked to healing shrines in hot zones to lick them en-mass, spreading the disease in the process.
Honestly, you're one of the most naive person I have ever come across, you unapologetically broadstroke and regurgitate leftwing talking points.

When confronted, your resort to whataboutism.

Focus on netiquette, get your facts vetted and perhaps find a middle ground sometime.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The UK started with their elders and essentials and went on down the line from there.

The main pre-occupation is that the elderly are too white, so they worry that BIPOC communities will remain underserved and undervaccinated, but the conclusion, even from the writer of the piece is that maybe the equity rules are actually costing more time and lives than they're saving. That simply vaccinating top down, even if it appears to be unfair to the underserved would actually end up serving them faster in the end than the bureaucratic boondoggles the lefter governments are creating attempting to sift and sort and make sure every person is in their proper and fair place in line, no exceptions.

I can't speak for America as i have no idea how the roll out is happening there (other than via ATS!). I can say though that the uptake here in Britian is very low in some BAME communities. However, this appears to be because of a lack of trust within these communities of government in general, rather than a nefarious right wing plot! In point of fact, BAME communities are pretty much being bombarded every day with ads, etc, telling them to go get the vaccines.

As an aside, i think the reason for the successful vaccination rollout in the more conservative countries is less to do with self interest and far more to do with the ability to respond as they see fit. For example, they can generally negotiate individually with companies developing vaccines rather than being part of a slow moving beauracratic bloc. Just look at the UK, we had already ordered over 100 million doses from various sources before the EU had even agreed on which companies to order from.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

When conservatives engage in whataboutism, they are too stupid to acknowledge that they are doing things wrong and to take responsibility for it. I acknowledged there was a problem that should be solved.

posted on Feb, 9 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I guess you don't have enough common sense to see that congregating in churches in large numbers helps a virus spread. That was my main point.

As a conservative, feel free to avoid church and take precautions, it will only make me have more respect for you.
edit on 09amTue, 09 Feb 2021 09:48:10 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join