It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Needed - A new conservative apologetics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I've been down in the rabbit hole of no return for awhile now, desperate to find my way out.

In my other forays down the rabbit holes, I've come across "apologetics" used by religious groups to try and persuade people into at least listening to their sales pitch. Some apologists have some pretty good arguments and techniques to bring you around to their way of thinking. I've noticed this technique for a long time, but with my Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD), I've always dug deep to verify such information.

So, remembering how these groups would use apologetics to defend their beliefs, I thought there must be some kind of conservative apologetics to look into. Other than religious apologetics, all I could find were a few references to this idea and a rather lengthy article on the subject.

How do we effectively challenge liberalism? Since liberalism is a set of ideas, we must fight it by formulating both a conservative worldview (i.e., a comprehensive, coherent and explicit formulation of conservative principles), and a conservative apologetics to defend and advance this worldview. The ideas of conservatism need to be more clearly understood and articulated as a coherent whole, so that we can know where to draw the line between conservatism and liberalism, and so that we can articulate arguments that those not already committed to liberalism will find persuasive. Since liberal thinking is literally all-pervasive, even most of us conservatives have a lot of liberalism in our thinking, and so the first order of business is to understand liberalism deeply, and to know exactly where it goes wrong.

An intellectual discipline of conservative apologetics (which does not currently exist, as far as I can tell) will be the link between the conservative worldview and our goal of a society where conservative ideas have effective control of society. This is primarily a war of ideas, and our enemy is fighting for ideas that are clearly false. If we argue effectively, we can win eventually.

LINK to Article

It looks like some people are looking into this like I am. The liberal left is so well organized and planned, you'd hope that the right at least has a list of talking points in support of conservatism. It seems to be non-existent.

Before anyone says it's because conservatives don't have any good talking points to defend their beliefs, no. IMO, it's because the right is unorganized and this idea has been ignored. Also, few now dare to defend any of these points and risk getting on their "list".
edit on 7-2-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For the hell of it

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

We need to promote freedom, rights, individual liberties and support and defend the Constitution as it was written, not how the left now interprets it.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We need to promote freedom, rights, individual liberties and support and defend the Constitution as it was written, not how the left now interprets it.

Sure, but we need to establish the apologetics and have persuasive spoke people use it and get the public to consider the conservative point of view, maybe even adopt it.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Who were the old ones?

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   

We, the little unwashed people, need to remember it.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   

if "the right" gets together and talks about anything, the FBI would arrest everyone for terroristic thoughts. So it's best we just sit back and behave while the big kids talk.

I'm a bit confused that a lot of what I believe as a conservative is the same thing a lot of democrats used to believe.
Strong borders, personal responsibility, less government, less taxes, patriotism, Pride in our nation. When did all that turn into a bad thing?

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

if "the right" gets together and talks about anything, the FBI would arrest everyone for terroristic thoughts. So it's best we just sit back and behave while the big kids talk.

I'm a bit confused that a lot of what I believe as a conservative is the same thing a lot of democrats used to believe.
Strong borders, personal responsibility, less government, less taxes, patriotism, Pride in our nation. When did all that turn into a bad thing?

That's were apologetics come in, persuasive, rational reasoning that uses their talking points and logic against them to get them to see the light. Kind of passive aggressive isn't it?
edit on 7-2-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   

EXACTLY

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The liberal left is so well organized and planned,

You have not been paying attention.

The "left" has no coherence whatsoever, other than "we want power and control by any means possible, all the other stuff we'll just make up as we go along".

Seriously, it's the primary reason that this is all going to end badly .......

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Not so sure myself about that, but I'll let that roll around in the noggin for awhile.
edit on 7-2-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

That's were apologetics come in, persuasive, rational reasoning that uses their talking points and logic against them to get them to see the light. Kind of passive aggressive isn't it?
Nah. See here’s why. The Big Tech companies found out the more flow something gets the more the algorithms pick it up and broadcast. More traction like a snowball downhill...

In other words, engaging with “right-wing CTs” wasn’t working because BOTH messages were being heard, regardless of impartial content or whoever was doing the talking.....they couldn’t afford to have this happen

So then they said “F it”, and started banning accounts like a fire-sale because too many people weren’t thinking the same and goose-stepping to the Left’s diatribe.

So there is no civil and political discourse.

You’re welcome
edit on 7-2-2021 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2021 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I’d say there are Traditionalists and Non-Traditionalists.

There is same thought & cohesiveness in Traditionalism. The Right mostly aligns with Traditionalism.

Non-Traditionalists are everyone else. The “Catch-All-Bucket”. The “Color-Outside the Lines” people. The “New Thought” people. Up and coming generations will probably fit better in this group.

The Right may be fracturing, but they still have Traditions (boring as they may be).

The Left, because they’re everyone else, will have cohesion only if they choose it.

Only the Right lumps “other” as a whole.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

There is same thought & cohesiveness in Traditionalism. The Right mostly aligns with Traditionalism.

Non-Traditionalists are everyone else. The “Catch-All-Bucket”. The “Color-Outside the Lines” people. The “New Thought” people. Up and coming generations will probably fit better in this group.

The Right may be fracturing, but they still have Traditions (boring as they may be).

The Left, because they’re everyone else, will have cohesion only if they choose it.

“Only the Right lumps “other” as a whole”

Quoted for hysterical troll lvl irony

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Actual Liberals and Conservatives both used to have "America First" as the backbones of their ideology. What they differed on is what their government spent our money on.

Alas, the last actual Liberal of any prominence was JFK and we all know what happened to him.

The Progressive ideology now permeates not only the Democratic party, but the Republican party as well. An ideology which can best be described as a top-down authoritarian Big Government... the "cradle to grave" type. And in the war of ideas, they already have enough low-information voters to not only keep them in power, but to expand it.

The last bastion of free expression, thought or self-sufficiency resides now with Conservative voters. Which is why we are now being labeled as terrorists.

There is no real need for Conservative Apologists simply because it doesn't matter now.

You can no longer de-program a leftist... you can no longer converse with them. They are essentially a cult. Statism is their religion which the press, our Education system, Hollywood and our social media openly promote.

There are some rather terrifying things coming up for America.

Let's hope the Grand Experiment will prevail.

edit on 7-2-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   
One of the biggest hurdles to any type of apologetic is going to be the idea of personal ownership in the sense of personal responsibility.

Collectivism is comforting in the idea that the group succeeds or fails. It's low risk/low reward, but you never have to think about failure. Nothing will ever be your fault. All your failures are projected onto a group. It's either the group or some other group, but it's never you, personally.

In the modern, safety-drenched world, people are so risk averse that submergence into the collective is a comforting thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It's irrelevant if people agree with conservative ideas when the politicians have no intention of following through with their promises and the voters have no stomach for radical change.

At this point, good riddance to the Republican party. Until they self destruct it's nothing more than a facade preventing quality leadership from emerging. The Republican establishment literally only exists to give the illusion there is no uniparty and to allow corrupt dinosaurs like McConnell to keep clawing for power.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam

I was Republican for 40 years.

I’m very aware of how they think.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah. Right. Circa 40 years ago

This isn’t another blanket statement where you “lump everyone in together”.....is it??

LMAO

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

If you are, it doesn't come through in your posts because somehow I've never read anything you've written and said, "Wow, Annee just nailed me in a nutshell." Other posters have done a decent job of it, but not you. You do have a good tendency to nail all the worst tropes of what the progressives think I think.

edit on 7-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join