It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do it in the right order.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   
When you consider home protection, you would be foolish to go out and spend all your money on ammo, and never purchase the gun. The ammo is useless without the gun.

Now, lets' talk about the climate agenda, war on Gas, and the current administration's choices regarding the same. We as a society are just starting to break into the electric car business. Yes, some have been around a bit, but they aren't ready for prime time quite yet. There are limitations on charging, no standardization in production. And the environmental impact from manufacturing and disposing of the batteries is questionable if it's less than burning gas to begin with. (on that front, I claim ignorance other than hearsay)

Point is, we aren't at a place where we can scrap internal combustion engines. I'm not a climate nutter, I don't hug trees, I don't believe that man has more than a miniscule effect on the climate. I could be wrong, but it doesn't matter. I don't make policy. But I do enjoy the outdoors, and I want a cleaner, less polluted world for my grandkids. So I am interested in seeing us transition to an alternative fuel source. it's a shame we have to go to war with each other over the verbiage, but I didn't start it so meh.

We need to understand priorities, and order. it's obvious the current admin is filled with idiots. Killing the pipeline was the single dumbest things they could have done. It's job was to transport oil without all the other environmental hazards, like pollution from rail cars, pollution from tractor trailer trucks, which will all be needed now to move that same oil. And all that was done before we had an alternative in the drive way. We could be decades away from that transition.

We need better leadership first and foremost, but we need to do things in the right damn order. Wonder car first, erase oil second. (and I am aware oil is used for much more than fuel, I'm just trying to make a point)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude
Allowing China to continue polluting more than any other country in the world...is like kicking out only the skinny people from your all-you-can-eat buffet.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Pipelines are working without pumps now? They do not leak, do not need inspections and maintenance and replacement and, oh, someone must build them first.

Pipelines aren’t the answer.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Well said, sentences to points. One, stands out. "Priorities".

The world as a whole....diverse as all the a cosmos...still...don't keep, accept, believe or negotiate..."uniform" priorities.

We are so distant from our brothers and sisters with what's important...we never agree.

And sooner or later...we will have to find common ground.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You do make a good point. And we are decades away from a complete transition to electric cars.

There was a meme on fb not too long ago of a van towing a battery pack charging an electric car on the side of the road. The meme incorrectly states it is a gas powered van towing a diesel generator. It is, in fact, a diesel van towing a battery pack. The context of the meme is still correct: the electric car is not going anywhere without the help of fossil fuels. Some argue that the van could be running on biodiesel. Sorry, but biodiesel is a mixture of bio and fossil. Biofuel is simply too expensive to use pure. The context of the meme still stands.

There aren't enough charging stations at present for a complete change to electric cars. And even if there were, there isn't enough electricity to charge them!

California already has rolling brown-outs due to an overtaxed power grid. How could that state create and distribute enough electricity to charge every single car in the state in addition to their current power consumption when they can't consistently meet their own needs now? Where is the money to upgrade the entire national power grid going to come from and how long will that take? And where is all that electricity going to come from once we have the infrastructure to distribute it?

Sorry, but electric cars are a nice idea that falls flat on its face in terms of a national or global mandate. But hey, lets tax the sh1t out of people and destroy millions of jobs to make it look like we are doing something. Yes, I said millions of jobs. As it stands today, every American has 200-300 energy slaves standing behind them, doing what needs to be done to provide us with what we need to survive on a daily basis and it all takes energy. Food travels an average of 1500 miles to reach our plate for example. That process from start to finish, and all the people involved, are energy slaves to the end users - us. Our entire economy is based on fossil fuels and the idea that there will always be more. We are in a race with depletion and depletion is winning. As a nation, as a planet, we are simply not prepared to make a transition away from the veritable gift that has been fossil fuels. We have no ready replacement and no way to deploy it even if we did have that magic bullet.

Moving us away from fossil fuels, either by mandate or necessity, will have a drastic affect on the global economy - it will stop growing. We have suffered many setbacks, even a great depression, but we have always bounced back believing that tomorrow there will be more/better than there was yesterday or today. That is going to end. By pen or by sword, that is going to end. And the fallout is going to be spectacular.
edit on 7-2-2021 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

Pipelines are working without pumps now? They do not leak, do not need inspections and maintenance and replacement and, oh, someone must build them first.

could you provide a breakdown of costs associated with the pipeline and the environmental impact, vs. transporting the same fuel over a 10 year period using whatever means are available to us for transporting that much oil? I'd like to see the real numbers if they are what you claim. I have heard just the opposite. That the pipeline will be much more environmentally friendly over the period in question. thanks in advance for not just dropping a turd and running away.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

that's exactly the point. I think we have some great ideas for green energy, and in time, they could be affordable, and environmentally sound. They aren't just yet due to the issues we see with their limitations. We can get there, but we can't allow a bunch of total idiots to push us off the cliff and then scamper off when it's realized we are all just going to splat when we hit the ground. Give us some cushion first. Work smart, not like a douche bag.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If the Biden regime was serious about combating climate change, they should lead by example.

Our new Climate Tzar John Kerry should be driving around in a Prius instead of traveling by private jet. The Presidential limo should be electric, as would all government vehicles.

They should be converting our Army tanks and other military vehicles to all electric. The Air Force and Navy should ground their jets and replace them with electric planes.

I could go on. But this is just going to be another case of "Rules for thee ..."

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Considering the condition of the current power grid I would say it would be a miracle if we were ready to deploy electric cars nationwide in 30-40 years. I suspect it will be more like 60-70 years. Doing the best we can with the materials, skills and resources currently available the best we can manage is rolling brown-outs in California.

Imagine the affect on the economy when a major storm hits and power is out in some areas for a week to ten days. Or one malformed coil erupts in a switching station and knocks out a few square miles of residential grid. Everyone going to bike to work? To the grocery store? Why bother? The trucks that deliver the food are electric too...

link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Allowing China to continue polluting more than any other country in the world...is like kicking out only the skinny people from your all-you-can-eat buffet.

I voiced this sentiment to my husband just yesterday, albeit not as creatively as you!

link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

electric planes. Um....no. As with the theme of the OP, I'd rather see floating charging stations long before we are forced to fly on electric planes. I'm old fashioned that way.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   

What can we do? China gets away with the mass torture, rape, and imprisonment of undesirables in their country. Including organ harvesting the falun gong.

China gets away with everything. What can western countrys do?

Also, despite China, I agree with OP. Wether you agree or disagree with climate change, we should still be working on doing whatever we can to pollute less.

Deregulating everything improves the economy but increases pollution.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

What can we do? China gets away with the mass torture, rape, and imprisonment of undesirables in their country. Including organ harvesting the falun gong.

Also, despite China, I agree with OP. Wether you agree or disagree with climate change, we should still be working on doing whatever we can to pollute less.

and it's a shame we can't have the conversation about what steps would be best to meet in the middle on those two fronts. But my side is more right, so I ignore your side, and you reciprocate. it's a beautiful system in it's inherent design.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

It’s mostly built already
en.wikipedia.org...

On January 24, 2017, President Donald Trump took action intended to permit the pipeline's completion, whereupon TC Energy suspended their NAFTA Chapter 11 action.[104]

On January 18, 2018, TransCanada announced they had secured commitments to ship 500,000 barrels (79,000 m3) per day for 20 years.[105]

On January 20, 2021, President Joe Biden revoked the permit for the pipeline on his first day in office.[106]

On 4 February 2021, Jason Kenney said that the Government of Alberta intended to pursue justice through the NAFTA adjudication process, which persists until July 2023. A critic remarked that the US has never paid out under this scheme, and that in 2017 an executive order signed by Donald Trump "explicitly said the permit could be revoked at any time and that the (shareholders) would be (hung out to dry) if that happened."[104]

Trump did have it put into the contract that the contract could be cancelled at any time.
Does not bode well for trust of contracts though, if every new president can cancel, start again, cancel again, start again......

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

So we go back to the horse and buggy days and start moving it with 20 mule teams. No, we can't do that because all of the mules produce methane and they require shoes that have to be manufactured in a steel mill fueled by carbon and electricity. And all of that grain needed to feed all of those mules needs to be grown using even more mules to pull the plows that have to be manufactured in the steel mills as well.
So, let's just all go back to the Neanderthal days and leave the oil in the ground.
It will run out one of these days and we will probably find ourselves back there one of these days anyway.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

What can we do?
STOP politicians from taking money from China.
Put pressure on China.
Demand China get it's own house in order before rolling over and letting it take over OUR house.

ALSO ...maybe dumping politicians that are caught boinking Chinese spies.
edit on 7-2-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 10:10 AM
link   

ALSO ...maybe dumping politicians that are caught boinking Chinese spies.

that gets you put on the highest committees in the land! Ask Feinstein.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I have the answer to all of the world's problems. There are now approximately 7.8 billion people on earth.

How about we just kill off 7.3 billion of them...

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

how very Georgia Guidestones of you.

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Just like the push for wind turbines. Have you seen what it takes to make one, set up one and what it takes to disassemble and trash one?

Basically two steps back to gain half a step forward. Not to mention the destruction of land and scenery.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join