It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Cultural Equality and the US Constitution

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
a reply to: The2Billies

Sorry comrade, I'm not looking to covert just yet. I'm not advocating the kind of equality you are talking about, I just had a moment of nostalgia that's all.

If this is how you really feel, you will LOVE the book "The Giver"

Honestly, no sarcasm this time.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Could of told you the Anti-deep-state was a larp awhile ago. But, i wanted to believe as well. Perhaps the goal of Q was to distract and create false hope.

Not only did the ADS trump movement create a false hope distraction, but also will hurt any real future movements. As apathy sets in for those who put all their hope into believing that Q stuff.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

They dont want equality they want equity.

Joe Biden's Use of 'Equity' Over 'Equality' Opens New Front in Culture War

Equality is giving everyone the same prize regardless of whether it actually helps. Equity is giving each person a specific opportunity so they can access the reward they need. Not everyone needs the same thing, so equity addresses gaps that equality does not.

edit on 6-2-2021 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I agree with you on the Bill of rights and the constitution, but unfortunately those documents and the founding principles have rarely been applied equally.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

While equality means that everyone gets the same resources from government, regardless of their circumstances, equity seeks to address systemic and historical imbalances within society by distributing resources depending on individual need.

Seems to me I've heard that before, but phrased a little differently ...

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

equity is just the government playing favorites.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

While equality means that everyone gets the same resources from government, regardless of their circumstances, equity seeks to address systemic and historical imbalances within society by distributing resources depending on individual need.

Seems to me I've heard that before, but phrased a little differently ...

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." - Karl Marx

Even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day, and a villain may speak truth once or twice in their career.

originally posted by: yuppa

equity is just the government playing favorites.

Playing favorites, or granting priority to the ill favored?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   
DP

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
Umm. I was addressing the concept of equality.
Which is the greater, the flute player, the violinist, or the conductor? Can the orchestra sound the same without any of them? And, what happens if they all decide that they no longer want to play the instrument they are so proficient at and we end up with flutist being conductors, violinists playing flutes, and conductors opting to be drummers before their big performance? If we treat one lesser than another, aren't we encouraging just that?
I am not saying that all occupations should be paid the same amount but I do question the standard we use to judge who is more deserving than whom, especially when it seems that it is those we most rely on that is deemed the less deserving and deciding they shouldn't even be paid enough to afford to survive.

I wasn’t.

I was quoting Animal Farm.

Whatever you are talking about is something different.
edit on 6-2-2021 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Well let's work with your analogy some.

I played band in high school.

Generally speaking, who ran the band? Sure, it was the conductor (or the band teacher), but did the band teacher test each kid out and tell him or her what instrument he or she would play? Or did the kids decide for themselves based on personal interest?

Further, was there only one of each part: violin, flute, cello, etc., or was there often more than one? And when you had more than one, wasn't there often more than one part for that instrument in each musical piece the band played necessitating first, second, and ever third chairs for the instrumental section? How did your band determine who sat in those chairs? If your band was like ours, it was by trial. The instruments each played and the best ones were seated 1st chair, often playing the more complex parts for the instruments with the very best awarded solos, and the next best grouping played 2nd chair and so one and so forth. Thing was that the entire composition was made better by having all the chairs and all the parts, even if the 3rd chair part was simplistic to play and played by the players who just weren't as good for various reasons - lack of talent, lack of practice ...

But equality (and progressive elitism) dictates that it would be wrong to have chairs and wrong to allow people to decide what they play.

Each instrumental section should play the same part, and the most talented (band director) should decide which kids play which instruments because only he (the elite) is qualified to do so.

The music would be at once less complex and worse.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Ill favored=government determining winners and losers=Picking favorites.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The problem is, who determines "ability" and "need"? The Government? Elected officials who received millions of dollars in campaign contributions?

Let me tell you how that works out.

People who try to work for a living to try to feed their families have the "ability" to pay taxes to the Government.

Bankers who crash the stock market have the "need" for those tax dollars to offset their losses.

Families who want health care have the "ability" to pay higher health insurance costs.

Multi-millionaires in Congress have the "need" for the best health care available for free.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The problem is, who determines "ability" and "need"? The Government? Elected officials who received millions of dollars in campaign contributions?

Let me tell you how that works out.

People who try to work for a living to try to feed their families have the "ability" to pay taxes to the Government.

Bankers who crash the stock market have the "need" for those tax dollars to offset their losses.

Families who want health care have the "ability" to pay higher health insurance costs.

Multi-millionaires in Congress have the "need" for the best health care available for free.

You don't trust our duly elected leaders to represent the will of the people? To recognize our needs and serve our best interests?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What a great analogy, thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

A star for making me laugh.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I gather you believe in more drastic measures like insurrection and anarchy? Or did you have something else in mind?

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ok, and what happens when the new teacher or conductor comes in and decides the first violin should be sitting in the back based on some bias he personally has, and the drummer should be really be the bass player because he is the biggest person in the band and will easily be able to handle it?

When it comes to people being able to play their own instruments (moving out of the band analogy and into careers and such) in life, I think it has gotten alot better since I was growing up.
To me, equality means that people have the same opportunity to choose their lifes path and pursue it, to reach their full potential. I don't think we have reached that yet. I also think we can pass a million new laws, change our constitution a hundred times over, and hand out an insane amount of money and still not reach it. Change is often as slow as a turtle crawling to his nest on a cold winter day for a nice long hibernation and patience is a virtue.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
Ok, and what happens when the new teacher or conductor comes in and decides the first violin should be sitting in the back based on some bias he personally has, and the drummer should be really be the bass player because he is the biggest person in the band and will easily be able to handle it?

When it comes to people being able to play their own instruments (moving out of the band analogy and into careers and such) in life, I think it has gotten alot better since I was growing up.
To me, equality means that people have the same opportunity to choose their lifes path and pursue it, to reach their full potential. I don't think we have reached that yet. I also think we can pass a million new laws, change our constitution a hundred times over, and hand out an insane amount of money and still not reach it. Change is often as slow as a turtle crawling to his nest on a cold winter day for a nice long hibernation and patience is a virtue.

That's equity, not equality. Equality means that everyone gets the same reward regardless of merit. Equity means everyone gets an opportunity that best enables them to earn that reward. It doesn't guarantee success but it does guarantee they have a reasonable chance.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I gather you believe in more drastic measures like insurrection and anarchy? Or did you have something else in mind?

I'm patient. I figure the coming Second Great Depression is going to solve a lot of problems.

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
So... the equal rights ammendment should have been named the equity rights ammendment?
How stupid of us women.
Really, I think yous are just playing with words.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join