It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon To Take Over British Gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   
British Gas is being run down by forcing the engineers to work under impossible conditions. When it becomes a joke it will be taken over by Amazon.

Last June Centrica announced plans to cut around 5,000 jobs in a ‘significant restructure’ and to ‘modernise’ workers’ terms and conditions to reflect the ‘changing needs of customers’.

People have been horrified given the way British Gas – previously a public utility before privatisation - is treating its workforce. British Gas is extremely profitable - currently operating at a £901m operating profit - so there is no excuse. The fact that the CEO Chris O’Shea’s pay has doubled adds further insult to the situation facing the workers.

www.counterfire.org...

I don't have time to flesh this out. This is the word from the most vocal of the engineers I recently spoke to.
edit on 4 2 2021 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   
More mass unemployment to maintain the extremely undeserved pay, bonuses and lifestyles of executives and shareholders. When i lived in the UK i despised British Gas’ service. The worst gas provider in the country.

The entire business class of the western world is beyond corrupt. French aristocrats were less selfish and extravagant.

They would happily destroy their business if it meant one extra year of living like a Roman Emperor.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

‘changing needs of customers’.

You really have to admire the balls it takes, to put out such self serving tripe

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 03:31 PM
link   
At some point, nobody will be able to buy anything.....Then what?

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Where do you get "being prepared for a take-over"? The argument in the link is that Brirish Gas is very profitable, and therefore doesn't need to make itself even more profitable by squeezing its employees. it is the work force that is being run down, not the company. And if the current management of the company is making a profit, that makes a hostile take-over more difficult and less likely.

edit on 4-2-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   

When it becomes a joke it will be taken over by Amazon

Amazon is a successful business , British Gas is not.

As a customer I welcome our new Amazonian overlords.
edit on 4-2-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I don't admire it at all actually. Nothing personal, though.

It's as you say "self serving tripe" when they should be serving customers.

I've seen the same story for BT, NetworkRail, and the Post Office.

I dont want these firms re Nationalised but I want to see an end to abusive practices like making nearly a £1Bn profit and cutting jobs.

Invest the money in making new jobs.

Ah wait, that takes Manage with balls and imagination, not just spin and the old pals act.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I think in the movie idiocrocy, everything was owned by brawndo ... it’s got # ya need.

Amazon is not to far from being brawndo.

edit on 4-2-2021 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   

British Gas engineers were on strike last month about new contracts that increase the working hours without a corresponding increase in pay.

The Financial Times reported last month that the British government is considering "reviewing" employment rights now we're not tied to EU law.

We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doxanoxa

I dont want these firms re Nationalised but I want to see an end to abusive practices like making nearly a £1Bn profit and cutting jobs.

Invest the money in making new jobs.

Ah wait, that takes Manage with balls and imagination, not just spin and the old pals act.

It's not a management thing. It's a government policy and national business culture thing.

And, at the beginning of the year, British workers lost their biggest protector.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

The Government I can see, because they make the national laws.

Thee 'national business culture' exists within, and bends, the laws. In other respects it's a myth.

As for the EU, as you suggest, the masdive disparity between worker rights in, say, Germany and tne UK, sugests it did little to raise the bar on employment rights.

As for the Government "reveiwing rights" the sad truth is,when push comes to shove, the rights are only as good as the lawyer you hire.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 05:43 AM
link   
"extremely profitable"
oh! must do some thing about That!

so wen they sell it they can get it cheap.
and some one IN british gas will be rich!

we had a hard fight to get out of the EU.
and now we are selling it all.
may as well satayd in EU.

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Are you being sarcastic?

A. Why would you be a customer of British Gas when virtually all the competition offers better prices?

B. Do you think monopolies are a good thing?

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It comes as a warning to any Yanks planning on living in the UK avoid British Gas like the plague as given half a chance the upper management will have designed a plan to sting you. Been there and got stung a decade ago. Totally avoid this company.

Indeed avoid anything with the word British in the name. The phone and net company British Telecom is a similar set up designed to sting you at the first opportunity.

All these companies as someone else above posted are ex state run companies and have a massive pension fund that pays out extremely generous payments to former employees and needs financing, whatever the methods they can come up with.

While we ar eat it add this to the above list. Avoid Talktalk like your life is in danger. Your wallet will be for sure

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
At some point, nobody will be able to buy anything.....Then what?

Well apparently we will own nothing and be happy.

top topics

join