It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Remembers High School Rectangle Pizza?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
Im confused as to why people would eat highly processed food.

Ignorance.

You could argue ignorance but you could also argue comfort. I'll take kraft nuclear orange mac and chee anytime. Or a little Velveeta nacho cheese dip with some Tostitos. I don't really care if it takes a year or two off my life. Lifespan is overrated.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That and probably a good ol fashioned conspiracy by the lobbyists to keep a higher level of sugars and salts in Processed foods to keep the profits rolling in.

Or just laziness.
edit on 4-2-2021 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightVision
You could argue ignorance but you could also argue comfort.

I also think it's laziness.

In the time it takes someone to make that Kraft sludge I can prepare a homemade version which tastes better and is more versatile on how I can modify it.

People need to learn how to cook food, not prepare it.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Or just laziness.

Dude, LOL, I replied before I read this. Yeah. 100%.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You could argue ignorance but you could also argue comfort.

I also think it's laziness.

In the time it takes someone to make that Kraft sludge I can prepare a homemade version which tastes better and is more versatile on how I can modify it.

People need to learn how to cook food, not prepare it.

I agree with your sentiment strongly. I should point out you're conveniently forgetting that taste is subjective, choosing instead to believe that your taste is superior. Should people stop eating Apple Jacks because their aren't real apples in them?

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

I just love this guy's YouTube videos. Surprising number fit right in here.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Oh, to the OP - I remember my school lunches, and there is a reason I was a complete twig all while growing up. I almost never ate lunch.

The only school lunches I recall fondly were chili and cinnamon rolls which are a classic pairing through certain parts of the midwest and about the only things the cafeteria made halfway decently.

They did make the rectangle pizza and it was awful like just about everything else. Then there was bierocks day when the entire school smelled like boiled cabbage for days.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I went to jr high and high school in beverly hills. Our lunches sucked also. It is a public school thing. That was back in the late 80’s early 90’s. Maybe it’s better. Probably not.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I should point out you're conveniently forgetting that taste is subjective, choosing instead to believe that your taste is superior.

Here's the thing, my taste is superior. I cooked professionally for 13 years and know the science and food theory behind what makes food taste 'good'. I'm able to make restaurant quality meals with rather simple ingredients because I understand how to prepare them. There is nothing subjective here, or with Alleghany above, we are professionally trained and to be frank you don't need to be a pro to learn how to do this which is why people always say things like, 'just like grandma would make'. Do you think grandma was using jarred sauce or processed hunks of cheese to make pizza?

Should people stop eating Apple Jacks because their aren't real apples in them?

People shouldn't be eating any processed food, it's garbage.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Definitely remember that aweful pizza in middle school. As a kid, cheese, bread and sauce beat anything. But i remember how any other fast food pizza tasted 10x better.

Those pictures of lunch trays are so accurate. How did they get away with feeding us the lowest quality food possible?

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
How did they get away with feeding us the lowest quality food possible?

Your parents hated you and let you eat it.

edit on 4-2-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I should point out you're conveniently forgetting that taste is subjective, choosing instead to believe that your taste is superior.

Here's the thing, my taste is superior. I cooked professionally for 13 years and know the science and food theory behind what makes food taste 'good'.

Should people stop eating Apple Jacks because their aren't real apples in them?

People shouldn't be eating any processed food, it's garbage.

Bourdain cooked for 20+ years. He loved well-prepared food. He also loved Kraft Mac and Chee. He loved dirty water dogs. He loved gramma's dry turkey. He loved heroine and coke too but thats another thread. This love for simple things is not uncommon among chefs. Even David Chang loves fruit loops.

edit on 4-2-2021 by NightVision because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I didn't say I don't enjoy simple things, I just don't like processed crap.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I didn't say I don't enjoy simple things, I just don't like processed crap.

You ever try a dirty water dog in NYC? Or a hostess raspberry zinger from a 7-11 shelf?

I'm not sayin you gotta like it, but they are boxes worth checking off.
edit on 4-2-2021 by NightVision because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It's not the love for simple things. It's the love for processed junk. You can love the taste of processed junk and still be a chef. We all have our vices.

To a chef, a simple thing is a recipe that has very, very few ingredients and the easiest of cooking techniques. The game then is to source the very best of those ingredients and cook it all flawlessly.

I prefer my food freshly cooked and made with good stuff - whole food, but I do occasionally go on a nostalgia trip for something from a place like Sonic or Taco Bell. That in no way makes either of those places good food; it just means I have my vices when it comes to taste.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   

You ever try a dirty water dog in NYC? Or a hostess raspberry zinger from a 7-11 shelf?

No to both however I do like hotdogs, there's a German pork store I go to that makes them daily.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

David chang is an ass. Personally and professionally

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's not the love for simple things. It's the love for processed junk. You can love the taste of processed junk and still be a chef. We all have our vices.

To a chef, a simple thing is a recipe that has very, very few ingredients and the easiest of cooking techniques. The game then is to source the very best of those ingredients and cook it all flawlessly.

I prefer my food freshly cooked and made with good stuff - whole food, but I do occasionally go on a nostalgia trip for something from a place like Sonic or Taco Bell. That in no way makes either of those places good food; it just means I have my vices when it comes to taste.

I can respect that. I make homemade bruschetta with fresh basil, olive oil, romas, and garlic with homemade bread.

I also happen to like McDonald's chicken nuggets too with the sweet n sour sauce that tastes nothing like real sweet n sour.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:59 PM
link   

No to both however I do like hotdogs, there's a German pork store I go to that makes them daily.

I'll tell u what. Next time I'm in Colorado I will buy you a Raspberry zinger. Hell, I'll mail you a box. Sir, I tell you that this assortment of atoms are so delightful they could be leveraged for world peace in the face of a nuclear war.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   

David chang is an ass. Personally and professionally

^Truth.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join