It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Talk Cell Phones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well.

It's that time again, time to upgrade the ole cell phone. Been doing some research and wanted to come to you guys for thoughts, concerns etc.

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. ( wifey too ).

I'm considering going the with the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Does anyone have this or any of the S21 phones? Like it, hate it, indifferent? Pros n cons and stuff.

Thanks all.

Have a great day.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The galaxy s20FE is s flagship phone at half the price. I recommend it.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'd be curious to hear about the OS people are running too. I'm thinking about upgrading also, but everything higher in the android line, least that I've tested, has been horrendous.

S&F to see the latest on phones.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Why do you feel compelled to upgrade? There's not a lot of difference between an S9 and an S21 (an S11 if they had kept the number scheme.) I went from an S4 to an S10! You're still getting updates for the S9. Are you sure you can't wait a couple of years?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

I got the s20 about five or six months ago. Great phone. Can't say there is appreciable difference between the s20 and the s21. Not enough for me to warrant an upgrade.

120hz frame rate is great. Phenomenal camera. Beautiful screen resolution.

I find the s20 the perfect size. The Ultra just seemed to big to fit in my pockets.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I manage a Verizon and although the S 21 series seems to be pretty awesome phones if you look at the specs they did drop some things over the S 20 series for example they lowered ram and drop the screen resolution a reply to: elevatedone

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Why do you feel compelled to upgrade? There's not a lot of difference between an S9 and an S21 (an S11 if they had kept the number scheme.) I went from an S4 to an S10! You're still getting updates for the S9. Are you sure you can't wait a couple of years?

I went from an s7 to the s20! I don't get people who upgrade phones every year. The jump in tech just isn't enough to warrant upgrades imho unless you are skipping generations of phones.

I only upgraded because I wanted a better camera and the phone was getting super slow with all the new software.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I haven't looked into the S21, but Samsung would be wise to completely eliminate Bixby altogether, and certainly allow the button which enables Bixby to be either disabled or removed completely!

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I'm not a big fan of Samsung phones. Samsungs are also the only phones l've owned where i've consistently broken the screen, going all the way back to the first samsung flip phone i had. They come with a lot of extra unremovable crap.

I've gotten Motorolas the last two times and i've been pretty happy with them. The minimal amount of preinstalled stuff is actually fairly useful, the hardware's decent but not amazing, but lower in price for an equivalent Samsung or one of the bigger name brand phones.

a reply to: Nivhk

I've been avoiding the upgrade to android 10. 9's alright, but I do miss the freedom of the older versions of android. 4 was pretty awesome. You could root the hell out of it and use it almost like a normal computer.
edit on 3/2/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   

My wife just got the S21 plus. She loves it. I'm waiting for the note 21 to come out. There are questions about the note series being discontinued though.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I haven't looked into the S21, but Samsung would be wise to completely eliminate Bixby altogether, and certainly allow the button which enables Bixby to be either disabled or removed completely!

You can turn Bixby off and change the button functions. One of the reasons I went from iphone to samsung was the customization. You can change everything on the Samsung. Get a good launcher like Nova Launcher and set the phone up exactly how you want.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Bixby is Satans spawn. When I upgrade phones I want to bring up Bixby on this one and then run it over with a locomotive.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Not on the S9 you can't. At least not from what I've researched. Bixby is hard coded into the phone.

Last I recall there was a way to disable the feature, but it involved jail-breaking the phone.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I have an LG 6g...
It was free... Lol

My only complaint is the 32gb storage when more than half is the operating system.
I plan on an upgrade soon but no way in hell will I spend a grand on a damn phone.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Great question.

Seems a like a decent deal right now. I'm getting $350 trade in for my phone, the wife has a cracked screen and getting $200 for hers. Plus $100 in accessories for each phone. Seemed good to me.

I could wait, just figured, why not.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I appreciate all the input.

I've always had Samsung since the S4, lol. I have Samsung TV's, just always had good luck with them.

Should note that the deal I'm looking at is on Samsungs website, it's the best offer I've found. I'm not on one of the major carriers. About 4 months ago, I switched from Verizon to Spectrum mobile. The service is exactly the same, no issues.

With the switch, my bill went from $160 month to $59. Wife has unlimited data, I have the 1GB plan, I just don't use my phones data. The wife really doesn't use a bunch, just not taking any chances though. Lol.
edit on 3-2-2021 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I've been been using an S8 for about 4 years now. Still going strong.

I had previously had an S5 and it ran out of storage space and couldn't even update basic functions anymore.
That was a big difference from that to this one.

I expect to have this one for at least another year or so.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I don't carry anything that surveils me. January 6th should explain why you shouldn't. I have an old flip phone for 2 factor verification and it stays in the desk. I'll put that Grand into something better than a cell phone

edit on 3 2 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I have an S9 Plus as well and I don't plan on upgrading until 2022 most likely. I have no issues with it and use it daily for just about everything including work.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Why 2022 ? If I may ask.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join