It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War On Oregon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Howdy, ATSliens!

Our grandiose experts for the War on Drugs acquired a new target:
the state of Oregon. Bombs away?

In early 2020, the Oregon Health Authority announced a 10-year plan to limit health inequities across the state. Measure 110 will be a crucial step in that fight, says Steve Allen, the behavioral health director at the authority OHA.

Helping addicts fight addiction means more than just straight drug rehab, he says – addiction is rarely an isolated event, as people struggling with it are typically juggling other crises including mental illness, physical or dental health care issues, and homelessness. Too many people spend too much of their lives cycling in and out of jails and emergency departments, Allen says, instead of getting the wraparound services they need. A move to take care of the whole individual will pay huge dividends.

“What we know is that punishment for addiction doesn’t work, and doesn’t improve outcomes for people,” Allen says. He points out that the law is going into effect at a critical time: Since the COVID-19 pandemic started in spring 2020, overdoses in Oregon have skyrocketed by 70%.

The program will be paid for by redistributing existing marijuana dollars that come from the state’s cannabis tax, which Allen calls “a huge advantage” because it likely won’t be dependent on whims of the local economy (marijuana funds have gone up recently, he noted).

eu.usatoday.com...

edition.cnn.com...

How dare they to rehash (hrhr) bad policies for good! What's next, taxation of derivatives?
Outrageous!!!oneoneeleven

Have a nice day and stay highdrated!

edit on 3-2-2021 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It'd be nice if they put that kind of money into helping people who are suffering from actual illnesses like, say, cancer, or families dealing with autism.

There's money to be made in servicing junkies so they push that. It's not easy to squeeze cash out of a junky so they get the gummint to pony up. Genuinely sick people though, they are much easier to squeeze so they just keep sticking them for the bill while they fork out cash for people who have just made really bad life decisions.

SMH...

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
It'd be nice if they put that kind of money into helping people who are suffering from actual illnesses like, say, cancer, or families dealing with autism.

There's money to be made in servicing junkies so they push that. It's not easy to squeeze cash out of a junky so they get the gummint to pony up. Genuinely sick people though, they are much easier to squeeze so they just keep sticking them for the bill while they fork out cash for people who have just made really bad life decisions.

SMH...

My pet peeve is the amount of money it cost families with children that have juvenile diabetes. It is criminal. The cost of insulin alone is beyond ridiculous, and a hardship on families that even have a fairly good healthcare plan.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I'm not familiar with the costs of diabetes but I seem to recall trump did an EO or something that addressed insulin costs.
Am I wrong or did that not do enough?

I thought the epipens were included too.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Providing cheap or free access to Methadon as a surrogate to heroin works wonders:

- it lessens the need for the addict to aquire money no matter which way.
- which helps strenghten the community, because there is less forced prostitution (with the usual risks of less interest in condoms or protection of any kind), less break-ins, less robbery.
- it helps the addict to break out of their drug habits.

It works. There are tons of evidence.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I'm not familiar with the costs of diabetes but I seem to recall trump did an EO or something that addressed insulin costs.

You are correct!

Emperor Jao put a freeze on it. #Honkhonk

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Yes, he took action that capped the cost of those treatments. #notmypresident Jao Bai Den annuled that on his first day in office, if I'm not mistaken.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Precisely. Welcome to the new age!

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Yes, he took action that capped the cost of those treatments. #notmypresident Jao Bai Den annuled that on his first day in office, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know the specifics but what good did capping the cost do if you can't afford the capped price?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   

My neighbor has not seen any change in the cost of insulin for her grandchild.

If you research the impact of the EO on the final cost of insulin to diabetics, you will see that the majority have also seen no decrease in their cost.

So, I will have to say, no, it doesn't look like it was enough.

top topics

join