It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buy your Seeds NOW

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Its probably a Triffid.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

We are big into Gumweeds (Grindelia spp) the last couple years, as we love collecting different resins for use in our herbal practices.

We were able to get starts going successfully of the exceedingly rare California bay laurel ( we live in S. Oregon near the Redwood Forest very unique zone).

Ohhh What else do you grow?
I loved visiting my parents in the Pacific NW, the plants there are so different.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Strongly suggest open-pollinated or heirloom seeds, as the seeds from those plants can be dried and replanted. Regular hybrid seeds often do not reproduce well.

Good luck all!

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Mullein leaf is one of the best amelioritives for sore muscles, its incredible for opening the airways incshortness of breath and the root is used dried and powdered with powdered black walnut hull as a fish stunner by native Americans. Mullein flower of course is fantastic for ear infections extracted with garlic in olive oil.

We have them all over the place out here. I just love the way they look, almost majestic on native fields.
I let one in the yard flower/go to see last fall, we'll see how many pop up this year.
Mow it over a few times, they will grow huge and pretty much an additional flower spike/ mow😀

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   

We are big into Gumweeds (Grindelia spp) the last couple years, as we love collecting different resins for use in our herbal practices.

We were able to get starts going successfully of the exceedingly rare California bay laurel ( we live in S. Oregon near the Redwood Forest very unique zone).

Ohhh What else do you grow?
I loved visiting my parents in the Pacific NW, the plants there are so different.
Goodness, so many things, Hemp, Plums (few varieties), Elecampain, Wild asparagus transplants everywhere, blueberries, black raz, blackberry, strawberry, Oregon grape, St. Johns wort, feverfew, lavender grows like its on roids here, a native sage that appears much like lavender, wild yam...loads more medicinals and edibles, its basically 8000 foot food and medicine garden

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Save some leaves to dry out and crush like tobacco. Good for lung congestion when smoked like cigarette or in a pipe (bronchitis or sinusitis).

Holy Smokes (pun intended)
I just looked online and the dried crushed stuff is going to top dollar!
Guess I won't run it over with the mower anymore!!
If you ever want medicinal plant values, I broker them globally since 1998 as a side hustle. One of the most important things to know is %moisture IE drydown value from fresh, that way you can negotiate pricing with knowledge. For instance Dandelion root fresh is 5.50/lb. fresh...4:1 drydown ratio = $22llb dry. Now thats a cost price to a manufacturer but you get the idea.
edit on 1-2-2021 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Save some leaves to dry out and crush like tobacco. Good for lung congestion when smoked like cigarette or in a pipe (bronchitis or sinusitis).

Holy Smokes (pun intended)
I just looked online and the dried crushed stuff is going to top dollar!
Guess I won't run it over with the mower anymore!!
If you ever want medicinal plant values, I broker them globally since 1998 as a side hustle.

I may take you up on that. I’m pretty gifted in the growing department and live in an area that is a foragers paradise.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I've been saying this since the beginning of last year. If you're worried about buying seeds for SHTF type stuff then ya missed the boat.

You're best bet is to find someone local and buy local. Convince them to part with some seeds.

That are you can try your luck with growing foodstuff that you don't need seeds for. Like potatoes, carrots, lettuce, etc.

I don't like GMO seeds. They're BS. "reusing" gmo seeds produce crap quality vegetables.

Find you a local heirloom farmer and get your stuff from them if you can.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Goodness, so many things, Hemp, Plums (few varieties), Elecampain, Wild asparagus transplants everywhere, blueberries, black raz, blackberry, strawberry, Oregon grape, St. Johns wort, feverfew, lavender grows like its on roids here, a native sage that appears much like lavender, wild yam...loads more medicinals and edibles, its basically 8000 foot food and medicine garden

That sounds like HEAVEN!!! It’s pretty funny, everyone here wants to grow butterfly bush and it does horrible, I go to Washington and it’s a noxious weed there.

Do you have any large asparagus roots you’d be willing to sell. I missed the boat on that and don’t want to wait 3+ Years.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I've been saying this since the beginning of last year. If you're worried about buying seeds for SHTF type stuff then ya missed the boat.

You can still buy some, but my guess is by the end of this month everything will be slim pickin’s

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   

That sounds like HEAVEN!!! It’s pretty funny, everyone here wants to grow butterfly bush and it does horrible, I go to Washington and it’s a noxious weed there.

Do you have any large asparagus roots you’d be willing to sell. I missed the boat on that and don’t want to wait 3+ Years.

we moved here just over 2 years ago, so we are still in the building stage...I'd say not before this years growth, but we would happily share

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   
In the last 10 minutes ordered from Victory Seeds. A good number of their varieties are already sold out and they have waiting lists. I only bought a few to replace some that had been used out of a seed vault I bought years ago.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
I havent seen anyone discuss the issue, but shipping containers are like gold now...like they have gone up from $1500 to $15,000.

Guess who eats that money.

www.cnbc.com...

Better buy LOTS of stuff now cuz inflation is gonna go BOOM.

Was reading up on recent logistic's issues can found this website. There actually is an article in there that explains how containers got basically held hostage in situ because of Covid.
Plus pics of container ships spewing containers like lego's all over the shipping lanes was cool.

gcaptain.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have the list on the table. I think I will be stopping at the store tomorrow to get my seeds, I need green and yellow beans, edible pod peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, carrots, onion sets, and a few others.

Eggs are kind of short in the stores around here right now, but our friend's chickens are laying again and hopefully there will not be a shortage of food to buy for them. I got six dozen last week, only had to give three to one daughter this time. but I expect that next time I will probably only get one dozen for ourselves. We pick them up every two weeks.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Another great place to go locally rather than internet can be your nearest Grange. For those who havent grown up farming, The Grange and Farm Feed and supply joints have a selection of things alota folks wouldnt know you can fund there.

Heres a secret I havent shared, but will for tge sake of others...Ive been buying .22lr at a couple of our all along...seeds...check

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I have the list on the table. I think I will be stopping at the store tomorrow to get my seeds, I need green and yellow beans, edible pod peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, carrots, onion sets, and a few others.

Eggs are kind of short in the stores around here right now, but our friend's chickens are laying again and hopefully there will not be a shortage of food to buy for them. I got six dozen last week, only had to give three to one daughter this time. but I expect that next time I will probably only get one dozen for ourselves. We pick them up every two weeks.

I have all those and got some fancy blue & white pumpkins.
Our pumpkins did terrible last year so trying again. It is feast or famine here with pumpkins/squash.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've been using heirloom varieties for the last 11 years now. Beans, peppers, squash grow nicely and we save the seeds for next year. Plants that make viable seeds are the only way to go.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Our pumpkins did terrible last year so trying again. It is feast or famine here with pumpkins/squash.

We went to the store today and I forgot to buy the seeds. It is on our list for tomorrow when we go to town to get a new muffler on the subaru that the chippies were roasting acorns in.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Do you get the squash vine borer? They look kinda like black wasps when theyre laying their larva. If your vines are "wilty" during high growth, and its not water or any of the usual...check along the vines. If you find a swelling, or nodule its likely the borer. We had fair to midland success performing surgery and removing the lil buggers.

The best "cure" we had was switching to a poly-culture model, allowing native weeds that nothing seemed to eat grow around and throughout our suceptible plants. Even kept the rabbits away!
edit on 2-2-2021 by BlueJacket because: 👍

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 03:03 PM
link   

The seeds I bought had shipped earlier than I thought, and got here today! I'm so excited for the season (this is before any of the natural pests or disasters temper my enthusiasm a bit) and went out today and gathered up all of the radish and pea seed pods still lying about my garden from last fall.
Aside from the perennial herbs and berries I have in the yard, I'll be growing 2 varieties of carrot, glass gem corn, anise hyssop, red and green bush beans, scotch bonnet peppers, cucumbers, peas, and flowers. Baker's Creek sent out a free seed packet of lettuce w/ the order.
My mom and a good friend of mine usually send a few plants my way also--mom only grows heirloom tomatoes, and my friend usually has some tomato, pepper, cucumber, and squash to spare.
Hope it's a decent growing season!

<< 1  2    4 >>

join