It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Democracy Talk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Why do people constantly refer to the U.S.A. as a democracy? We are not, it's called a constitutional republic for a reason but yet it seems every one who has a platform to speak to people, disregarding whether they are left or right, uses this democracy line.

Why is this so hard to understand? It's really tiring to see that almost everyone who speaks in the media (supposed to be smarter than this) and everyone who speaks to the media keeps this democracy line going?

Damned pledge doesn't say "...And to the Democracy, for which it stands...".

I'm a dumbass and I can get this so why is it so hard for all the pundits, talking heads and everyone, really. No one seems to get this concept and I'm kinda flummoxed by it.

I need some smarter minds than me on this one. Please help me understand this. Most people don't seem to understand what type of .Gov we have yet they will bitch and moan all day about how it sucks.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

A long, time ago, maybe a few years back in ATS it was a lot of talks, on how US is a Republic and how is been killed by the same politicians that we elect to protect it.

It was a very nice poster that knew a lot about the US and the powers of the Republic, his post were very informative, he tried and tried to teach about the Republic but he used to get a lot shut down by others.

I wonder what happen to him.

I been away for while soo I am finding out many good posters are not longer here and some actually that I knew and admire has passed away.

I understand what our nation is, very well, sadly many do not longer know what a Republic is. But it seems with the New president governing with EOs like a dictator is going to awaken some states to use their power of sovereignty and the circuit courts to remind the dictator in the white house that states have rights.

I imagine that next is legislation, to make it legal, lets see how well it goes.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

It is pretty easily explained.

Progressives WANT America to be transformed into a Democracy.

That is the "fundamental transformation" they speak of... it is a way to get rid of State's rights, the Electoral College, etc.

So through the media, our education system and Hollywood they have been working towards the everyday American thinking that we ARE a Democracy.

Which is ironic considering that the Founding fathers found the idea of a pure Democratic system of government abhorrent.

edit on 31-1-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

If you repeat it like a mantra, with the media, "that is not longer free neither, but pay by for this same purpose for the last 30 years when the media conglomerates emerged", the dumbed out generations of clueless will believe it.

No wonder Pertusi the swamp creature wants now 16 year old the right to vote, the brain washed new generation.

Many states have sold their freedom to Federal funding this days, give me the money I will relinquish my state freedom.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I think the short answer is that a democracy allows the majority to run roughshod over the masses... especially faux moral outrage is invoked and provoked.

The tyrants can't afford for the people to know they really don't have that power. And the majority has no power over the smallest minority -- the individual. The tyrants need the mini-tyrants to really really believe they are justified in their demands to impose their will on the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Please stop with the right-wing drivel. This ain't about sides, it's all sides.

Crikey, you guys never learn, do ya? Always hatred for the "others".

Also, this goes way beyond our lifetimes so stop trying to pull this into a modern day narrative, even though my OP is modern day drivel. This ain't just today, it's been going on since long before we were born yet you still stick to your corrupted parties lines of filth. You may not get that both parties are corrupt, but I dare say you only think the Dem's are corrupt yet you still blindly stick to the GOP talking points.

Which is all fine and dandy, you have your first amendment rights to free speech but you can also sound like a dumbass. I couldn't care less. I just want the constitution to be upheld and both parties are, simply put, in a 100 round no gloves boxing match that will only hurt you and me, the regular Americans to destroy that "piece of paper". Both sides, don't you get it?
edit on 1/31/2021 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Weird way of saying the thought's I've had since 2012, the last time I voted. My vote is meaningless as I can't vote for the lesser of two evils so I waste it on third party candidates. I, the "individual', ain't worth spit and my vote means even less.

they are justified in their demands to impose their will on the rest of us.

L or R, it's all the same. They are liars, cheats, and outright scoundrels. The only one out there who has a thimble's worth of integrity is Rand Paul and he ain't his father, Dr. No and will only just be there, full of thunder and lighting signifying nothing. His dad tried, and got robbed severely, so now Rand's playing the game as best he can.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what they are going to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”
― Benjamin Franklin

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Oh dear, you're playing with semantics. You are confusing the Democratic party with democracy.
America is a democratic country, just because they don't call it a "democratic" country does not mean it isn't.
It's the ACT of democratically voting your people into positions of power.
Definition:- Democracy is a form of government in which the people have the power to choose their governing legislators. THIS IS the definition of American politics. Well it was till the last election.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting for what is for lunch. Freedom is an armed lamb contesting the vote.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   

His dad tried, and got robbed severely, so now Rand's playing the game as best he can.

What the Republican elite did to Ron Paul was shameful and despicable, and should have been a huge wake up call to every registered Republican that the game is rigged.

Ya gotta wonder how many who voted Romney in 2012 -- even those who "held their nose" to do so -- are kicking themselves today with every word Romney spews...

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I like Rand Paul, will vote for him if he runs for presidential candidate, I did voted for Romney, but just because I could not stand Obama and Biden at that time.

Democracy in America is abiatch, this days,

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I like Rand Paul, will vote for him if he runs for presidential candidate, I did voted for Romney, but just because I could not stand Obama and Biden at that time.

Democracy in America is abiatch, this days,

Yeah, we've had crap choices for far too long now....

On the plus side, they have shown their true colors in all their fugliness. They had every opportunity -- and still do! -- to do the right thing. They have chosen not to. When they chose not to legitimize this election in the face of so much doubt, they left no room for doubt.

Rand Paul is doing his dad proud. Good for him -- and good for us!

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

This is one of my favorite topics. I was red pilled about 20 years ago by reading Article 4 Section 4 out of the US constitution. Please tell me where in the constitution it says that we are a “Democracy”? Oh wait it doesn’t...
And to my knowledge there hasn’t been a constitutional amendment that changed our government to a Democracy but please everyone continue to believe the ignorant and uneducated media.

It says:

Article 4 Section 4:

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a REPUBLICAN form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence.

www.law.cornell.edu...

edit on 31-1-2021 by Brassmonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2021 by Brassmonkey because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No star for the witty comment. You provide nothing with that. Really, dude, contribute to the thread or don't but stop with the nonsense. Come on, don't just throw out some quote that means nothing to the debate.

originally posted by: crayzeed
Oh dear, you're playing with semantics. You are confusing the Democratic party with democracy.
America is a democratic country, just because they don't call it a "democratic" country does not mean it isn't.
It's the ACT of democratically voting your people into positions of power.
Definition:- Democracy is a form of government in which the people have the power to choose their governing legislators. THIS IS the definition of American politics. Well it was till the last election.

Dude, you are so wrong you don't even know it.

originally posted by: schuyler
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting for what is for lunch. Freedom is an armed lamb contesting the vote.

You got the point but couldn't be wise enough for some actual words, that, might, actually mean something? Why didn't you add a meme, or as Bryce Harper calls them, a may may? That really pisses me off when I'm trying to have a real conversation.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Brassmonkey

Damned if at least one person get's it. I kinda have a man love thing for ya.

It's just so damned tiring that the people that shape this nation, the politicians, the media, and they have no idea, it seems, as to what our government actually is. It's really just spit on tv with the so called new networks, as biased as they are. yet this term, democracy, is spouted out like a mantra. Democracy this, democracy that, it's lies, all lies, like Soylent Green.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

All very true, but since the MSM controls the agenda anymore, they have adopted the word "Democracy" and its code for One Party State, One Party Rule. They hate the 'Republic" and want to establish a One Party Dictatorship. So they promote their idea of Democracy which to them means Majority rule and no one else has anything to say.

Simple really and with their proposed changes to how elections willb be run, they will probably succeed. ONe-Party State "Republics" are Bananna Republics.

If you dont like it , you do have a choice........LEAAVE

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

We are not a democratic country. The word “democracy” is no where to be found in our constitution. Outer constitution guarantees the states a Republican form of government. As far as I know I don’t directly vote on legislation like the democracy that was in Ancient Athens, Greece and we don’t have majority rule. This is why we have a Senate and a Fillibuster.
edit on 31-1-2021 by Brassmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brassmonkey
a reply to: crayzeed

We are not a democratic country. The word “democracy” is no where to be found in our constitution. Our constitution guarantees the states a Republican form of government. As far as I know I don’t directly vote on legislation like the democracy that was in Ancient Athens, Greece and we don’t have majority rule. This is why we have a Senate and a Fillibuster.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Why am I wrong. Is it because you feel the elected officials do not act in a democratic way? ie. When they get into power they vote on party lines rather than what their voters want?
Oh, you think you're a Republic? Definition:- Republic is a form of government in which the power is held by the people and their elected representatives. Now to be pedantic in America the power is ONLY held by the people at the time of election, after then the power is completely taken over by the representatives. So technically America aint a Republic because after the election the people have no power.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join