It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If We Want Unity, It's Up To Us To Bring It

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hello friends

I think it’s clear by now that if we truly want unity, we’re going to have to take it into our own hands. At this point, a lot of feelings are hurt, some underlying rage and trust issues are prevalent, pretty much everyone feels that they are the virtuous ones and their opponents represent all that is a danger to our way of life, but Americans have not crossed any point of no return (look into what started happening in the Balkans in the 90s for reference regarding that point).
Rwanda was successful with truth and reconciliation, but only after nearly a million were slaughtered by their own neighbors.
www.nytimes.com... 44EC4B5D3E&gwt=regi&assetType=REGIWALL
We can be better than this.

While the voices calling for TRUE unity are few and far between, they are also strong and have the power of truth to back them up.
I’d like to share this really amazing discussion between a philosopher Alain de Botton and my favorite human I’ve never met, Ayishat Akanbi. Her smile absolutely brightens my day. It’s gorgeous and reveals a deep love/agape.

It’s a fairly long video, but it is the most helpful discussion I’ve heard regarding true unity maybe ever.
I loved watching the change in the audience from the beginning to the end. Some of the members who seemed rather defensive at first were smiling and at ease toward the end.
I’ll include some (maybe slightly misquoted) transcription of my favorite parts below the clip.

I’d really love to hear your thoughts. We ALL can make a difference, and each of our actions cause a ripple which is felt in the very fabric of existence. No good deed is too small or petty.

Have a wonderful day, friends!

“I explore ideas we often call ‘problematic.’ They’re often the most revealing...the most interesting.”

"Too much empathy can cause more aggression toward out groups."

"Root of kindness is knowing that you are sinful."

"We get so much wrong. We’re steering blind."

"We condemn too much and we understand too little."

"We need to do away with the world evil because it stops conversation where it should begin."

This story that happened in my family with someone passing away from murder-- I saw a choice in that situation I could either respond with coldness, and maybe develop a prejudice against someone who fits the description of the culprit, but who would that serve? It wouldn’t serve me very well. It would make me a quite fearful person. So I thought that there had to be a better way."

"Love should mean charity for what is broken in us."

"We often think that if we understand something then we are condoning it, and I think that’s quite dangerous, or maybe unhelpful I should say."

"Things like kindness, compassion and empathy, I feel like they are fairly radical acts, and I think they’re radical acts cause they’re quite hard to do. If these things were easy then they wouldn’t be virtuous, you know, they would be things that were a given."

"I think we often think that vulnerability is a weakness but again vulnerability is hard, which would suggest that it’s quite a strength."

edit on 28-1-2021 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

This current division is an artificially created division over the last 12-13 years to keep people from actually uniting against the people that destroyed the economy in 2008 and have kept it afloat in a magic bubble of make believe nonsense ever since.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Let's stick it to our enemy by truly uniting in the spirit of brotherly love!

We don't have to wait for government hand outs if we're paying attention, sharing where we can, talking to neighbors and bartering.
Thank you to all who are already doing this.

Let's leave our overlords in the dust. We don't need them.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Absolutely agreed. I really hate the idea of playing right into the enemy's hands and fighting my family too.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I agree with you, but every time we turn the other cheek, we get smacked again and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is sick and tired of it. How many times must one get hit before (s)he hits back?

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Well Jesus might have a different answer to anyone elso you ask.

Depends on whose answer you want to hear, I suppose.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Well Jesus and I might have a different answer.

I would like to point out that Jesus was nailed to a post.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

And rose from the dead, defeating death/sin and redeeming life for all who chooses to love God with all his/her heart and love his neighbor as he loves himself.

If you believe that stuff that is

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have arrived at a point where I'm not sure there can be unity between those with situational awareness and comprehension of reality about the world around them, and those that are so blind and senseless as to continually act against their self interests.

For example politically punching themselves in the face over and over again, and then lashing out vigorously against those that don't join in with them. That behavior is what one would expect joining like, the Manson family or Heaven's Gate or some other cult.

My perspective now is to try to wake up as many as can be woken up, low key and without raising attention, and preparing for the inevitable rough times ahead. Because, why extend yourself and engage in honest debate or political dialog, when the other side will just try silence/unemploy/cancel you.

Nod, pretend you agree, but stock lock & load in private.

Unity will not be requisite after some point; only endurance/survival.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

This current division is an artificially created division over the last 12-13 years to keep people from actually uniting against the people that destroyed the economy in 2008 and have kept it afloat in a magic bubble of make believe nonsense ever since.

So I notice lots of stars on this post (and rightly so--a good post) but also resistence to unity.

Should I assume that this means we've just capitulated to the assault and are going to roll over and let those who would rend us in half win!?

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Well Jesus might have a different answer to anyone elso you ask.

We're not Jesus, we're human and can only take so much before we throw our hands up and give up trying.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Stop calling everyone racists and terrorists maybe might be a good start?

And stop banning and cancelling everyone who says something you disagree with?

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Well I am a Christian so I strive for sanctification and don't give up.

But even non Christians must see the usefullness in finding the common ground over a civil war, .... right?

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This thread is obviously not for everyone!

Calling those looking for unity

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Unity and compassion require true strength. Not weakness as some might imply.

Waiting for more responses related to the video or at least the words of the OP, rather than the title.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Do you want unity or compromise?

Because you can't compromise on principles.

Good luck with the thread!

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The video (or at least the transcription I provided) does a better job at describing it than I.

(But THANKS for the luck... looks like I'll need it! Kidding. I'm not here to convince anyone who can't be convinced-- just to share with those to whom this will resonate)

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It's pretty hard to obtain unity in the current climate of victimhood.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Agreed, so let's stop acting like victims!

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   

People need to get off the internet, go take a walk, maybe go to a party and talk to some real life people because I think the anonymity factor of being online disassociates posters from recognizing they probably have more in common with who they are speaking with than not in common.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join